Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1155 Z77 Motherboard for Noctua D14 & Corsair Vengence RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2014 3:19:02 PM

Hello everyone,

I have just bought a Noctua NH-D14 (2011) with the 1155 mounting kit but when it came to fitting to my current setup i have issues so i'm thinking i need an upgrade. The noctua does actually fit i just have to remove my first DIMM to clear it but i just cant live without that extra DIMM.

Anyway, just so you get the picture my current setup is as follows:

Case: Antec 302 - plenty of room for the noctua
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77 D3H
RAM: Corsair Vengance 16GB (4x4)
PSU: Corsair 600W CX Builder Series 80 Plus Bronze
GPU: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Cooler: Corsair H60 - to be replaced by the noctua
Processor: i7 2700k

The way i see it i have two options; one change the ram or two change the motherboard. Changing the RAM is the easier option but what would i change it to as it would have to be very low profile. Changing the motherboard is going to be more costly and time consuming as it would require a reinstall but i do plan on doing a reinstall at some point anyway so now would be a good time. Its not that i dont like the gigabyte as its honestly been great but little things like it not always booting up first time annoy me. Plus after the memory clearance issues i have experienced with the noctua i would really like a board with the ram spaced further away to avoid any future problems.

What board would be recommended for say a £100 ($165) budget with overclocking in mind. I dont have any special requirements although a decent built in soundcard would be good (so i can replace my asus xonar dx) and perhaps the option for extra gpu's in crossfire at a later date as i do plan on having 3 monitors eventually.

Best solution

a c 1227 V Motherboard
June 1, 2014 3:34:49 PM

I have my Noctua DH-14 on an Asrock Extreme 4 , with Gskill SNIPER 1866.

The cooler covers the ram with fan on , just raised the fan up just a tad and it clears.

You should only need to get LP ram , according to the site this combo is compatible.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&pr...

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Yes
DDR3 G.Skill Sniper series Yes
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2014 3:43:27 PM

What's not clearing the memory modules?, the 120mm front fan or the heat sink metal fins?

Here's some Noctua NH-D14 facts:

#1 The pipes themselves are offset to the base meaning it can be turned for extra clearance in a front to rear setup because they're not actually centered in the base, they're set off to one side. (Check it out and you'll see what I'm talking about.)

#2 The heat sink can be mounted in a vertical air flow position in the case and still cool just fine and should clear the memory.

#3 The front 120mm cooling fan can be relocated to the rear of the heat sink by swapping the mounting clips so the fan is pulling air instead of pushing air as the original setup, and still cool with no loss of cooling performance.
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2014 3:59:29 PM

4Ryan6 said:
What's not clearing the memory modules?, the 120mm front fan or the heat sink metal fins?

Here's some Noctua NH-D14 facts:

#1 The pipes themselves are offset to the base meaning it can be turned for extra clearance in a front to rear setup because they're not actually centered in the base, they're set off to one side. (Check it out and you'll see what I'm talking about.)

#2 The heat sink can be mounted in a vertical air flow position in the case and still cool just fine and should clear the memory.

#3 The front 120mm cooling fan can be relocated to the rear of the heat sink by swapping the mounting clips so the fan is pulling air instead of pushing air as the original setup, and still cool with no loss of cooling performance.

The heatsink itself is not clearing and believe me i tried everything; even vertical doesnt clear it but thanks.
m
l
June 1, 2014 4:04:14 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I have my Noctua DH-14 on an Asrock Extreme 4 , with Gskill SNIPER 1866.

The cooler covers the ram with fan on , just raised the fan up just a tad and it clears.

You should only need to get LP ram , according to the site this combo is compatible.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&pr...

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Yes
DDR3 G.Skill Sniper series Yes

I was looking at the Asrock Extreme 4 earlier and it does look to be a very good board. What sort of clearance do you get with the noctua and have you had any issues at all with the board itself?

FYI my corsair vengence model number is CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 i believe they do a low profile version but pretty sure the one i have is not. Will look into the G.Skill Sniper.

Thanks!
m
l
a c 1227 V Motherboard
June 1, 2014 4:18:14 PM

It's tight but everything clears.

The Extreme 4 is one of the BEST Z77 boards on the market.

Your modules are out of the question low profile like the Sniper work well.
m
l
June 2, 2014 2:31:33 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
It's tight but everything clears.

The Extreme 4 is one of the BEST Z77 boards on the market.

Your modules are out of the question low profile like the Sniper work well.

Okay thanks.

So what i'm probably going to do is start with the RAM but that DDR3 G.Skill Sniper is damn expensive for the 16GB kits! Think i will wait for a good offer to come up.

When i get the RAM i'll swap the motherboard out but i'm just not sure about the Asrock. I had one many years ago and recall a bad memory slot destroying my RAM. I've always gone gigabyte or asus since that day but i suppose these things can happen with any manufacturer its just pot look. What i like about the gigabyte though is the ease of overclocking; i dont know how the asrock is on this front- i'm talking about the bios manual overclocking btw.

Also, just to widen my options i was looking at these boards earlier.

GA-Z77X-UD3H
GA-Z77X-D3H

I realise they are basically the same board i have now (Z77-D3H) only with upgrades but with low profile memory the clearance shouldnt be an issue and everywhere i have read highly recommends the gigabytes over other boards. I dont know the differences but i would imagine these boards including the asrock are very similar.

Would you still go for the extreme 4 or are the gigabytes better options?
m
l
!