Please help. 100% disc spike and error code 0xc000000e

SelfDeceit

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
I've been having this problem for over a week now. I've reformatted and have done two fresh installs of Windows 8.1 and every single time the problem keeps reappearing.

First I'll start off by saying I have two HDD's. One is 120GB the other is 1.8TB. I've installed the OS on the smaller one so I can use the other one for my personal stuff. Now the issue is that every 30 minutes or so while I'm doing something, whether it be browsing, gaming, or using skype. The HDD that the OS is on immediately spikes to 100% and then everything starts to become unresponsive and hangs and I'm forced to restart.

I've tried booting with the OS CD and using the command prompt, that doesn't work. I've also set my virtual memory to 16000/32000 (I have 16gb of ram) and that doesn't work. I even tried to disable certain services using "services.msc" in windows run.

The final issue is that sometimes when I reboot I get the error code in the title. I've tried following guides that show you how to fix the corrupted bcd file but it doesn't work because for some reason it says windows cant find an OS installation or certain commands would tell me that path is not found. Startup repair doesn't work as it always tell me somethings gone wrong. I really need help. Could anyone please help me get this sorted out. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I would recommend at least disconnecting the drive for now until it gets replaced otherwise you will still get those hangs although likely not a severe as you are now. (I had a small 320GB drive going bad that even though it was not being used windows would still hang periodically while it was connected).

Just make sure to remove any personal files you want from the drive if any.

caqde

Distinguished
I think your little drive is going bad. The 100% usage would likely be the computer waiting for the drive to respond to a read/write request or the drive trying to access a bad sector of the drive and retrying until it is able to read it. Hopefully the drive is still under warranty.. All your errors point to the drive media being unreadable by the computer....

SelfDeceit

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

Well my brother bought this computer from a very good friend of his, he wouldn't sell a bad computer by any means. It worked perfectly fine since march up until two weeks ago. Two weeks ago my brother got a BSOD and then I decided to do a fresh install. After the fresh install I started getting these, did two more fresh installs and it still persists. So now I'm completely lost.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I even downloaded and ran CCleaner even though it fixed around 50-75 registry issues (they were prob minor since the problem still exists) .

caqde

Distinguished
Well it happens even the best of us can sell parts to people that eventually go bad even in the short term (few weeks). All I can tell you is that the drive from what you said seems to be bad now. It could have tested fine when it was sold to you and it may have been fine then. You could probably see about getting windows to install on the larger working drive and getting the smaller one repaired/replaced by the manufacturer if possible.

SelfDeceit

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

Would you recommend me to manually take out the smaller drive and then do a fresh install on the bigger drive or just keep both drives in the rig?

caqde

Distinguished
I would recommend at least disconnecting the drive for now until it gets replaced otherwise you will still get those hangs although likely not a severe as you are now. (I had a small 320GB drive going bad that even though it was not being used windows would still hang periodically while it was connected).

Just make sure to remove any personal files you want from the drive if any.

Solution

SelfDeceit

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

Yeah, I'll just disconnect it and do a clean install on the bigger one and see if it fixes it, I'll post back here for the results tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far.