Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need Suggestion for my First Build for a Home Office PC for under $1000

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 1, 2014 9:01:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to build my first PC. I can't really work they way I want with my current computer (and the last few I bought). I need more speed.

I have been reading and researching for the past few weeks and everyone seems to think its best to build your own. So I was hoping that some of you could help me with a build or perhaps link to a build that matches my needs.


Update: Sorry, I posted before reading the forum rules. So here is the updated post

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week or so (basically as soon as I make a decision on a build/what parts to buy.

Budget Range: Under $1000 but preferably around $700

System Usage: Browsing the web, publishing content to my blogs/sites, keeping backups of all my sites and their files, running Internet marketing related software (some of which are resource intensive), and the usual storing some pictures, watching videos here and there, etc.

Are you buying a monitor: No (unless I find a great deal).

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter

Location: Saint Louis, Missouri, United States

Overclocking: Not sure if I yet understand what it is and does. But if its essential or adds to the performance, then yes.

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure if I yet understand what it is and does. But if its essential or adds to the performance, then yes.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Tired of my slow computer and want to experience my first build.


Notes:

I am a blogger and an internet marketer. I build lots of sites and naturally create a lot of content (mostly text).

I need something that can handle multiple tabs and software being open and in use at the same time, fast. I do run some heavy and resource consuming internet marketing related software.

I also have lots of files that need to be stored.

I don't play games on the PC at all. So, I am assuming spending too much on a Graphic card is not necessary.

Basically I am looking for a high performance home office PC.

As for budget, from what I have read so far, it seems like I could build a good computer for my needs for around $500-600. That said, if I can get better performance, I wouldn't mind going up to even a $1000.

I hope this is enough info. If not please let me know and I would be happy to give more.

Thank you all in advance.
June 1, 2014 9:12:05 PM

This is a strong home office pc:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($105.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($13.00 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($12.99 @ NCIX US)
Speakers: Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers ($34.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $919.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 00:21 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
June 1, 2014 9:16:05 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $932.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 00:15 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
Related resources
June 1, 2014 9:26:09 PM

This would be your best bet basically the best CPU you can get and you dont need to invest any $ into a video card as motherboard has it built in since your not going to play games. Also what kind of files you are storing ? lots of files can mean they dont take lots of space usually only video files take lots of space so make the harddrive size decision based on your current machines space usage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.99 @ Mac Mall)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.10 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.00 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $736.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 00:36 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
June 2, 2014 9:03:28 PM

Thank you guys for taking time to help out. I really appreciate it.

I think all 3 builds are fantastic for me.

That said, keeping in mind my needs and with my limited knowledge that I have gathered so far from my research about how much power I need, and looking at the suggestions so far, I find esco_sid's suggestion the best fit.


esco_sid said:
This would be your best bet basically the best CPU you can get and you dont need to invest any $ into a video card as motherboard has it built in since your not going to play games. Also what kind of files you are storing ? lots of files can mean they dont take lots of space usually only video files take lots of space so make the harddrive size decision based on your current machines space usage.


I am sorry for not being more detailed. You are absolutely right on that.

By files I mean mostly text (blog posts, notes, backup of my sites, etc.

Of course, this "home office" computer would serve as both my work and play computer. By play, I mean the usual stuff you may have on your home PC (some pictures and videos, tax stuff, things like that).


Just to Confirm:

I am assuming that all the parts picked for this build are compatible with each other, Correct? Meaning, I would basically buy the exact parts (either from the stores you mentioned, or if I find better deals, elsewhere, as long as they are the exact same thing)?... Sorry if this is a dumb question!


I am still open to other suggestions/improvements or even tips or basically anything you guys think a first time builder should know/consider. Thank you every once again.
m
0
l
June 2, 2014 11:46:36 PM

Yes everything is compatible and as far as the types of files you are storing none of them would take a lot of space unless you are a photographer with thousands of pictures so 1TB should be fine I fix computers for a living most average people use only about 100gb-150GB. Also worth mentioning is i see you updated your posting that you live in st louis i would go to microcenter there to buy CPU+motherboard combo they have the best deal there you will save a ton of $ 4790 online cheapest price is 300 there you can get it for $250 and if you buy a motherboard there you get additional $40 off a combo package only downside is you have to physically go there they will not ship it. I checked they do not have the same motherboard i have in that build so you can just ask for suggestions there they will have a ton of them also if you dont want the hassle of buying online they will price match newegg.com and amazon.com you just have to ask for it but you will have to pay tax on those parts so do what you think is best.
m
0
l
June 5, 2014 4:01:55 PM

@ esco_sid

Thanks once again for taking time to help.

I think I like the idea of going to Microcenter and getting everything at once, especially since they price match, so I get the same deals as online retailers without waiting for the shipment to arrive.

The only thing that worries me is the Motherboard issue you talked about. As a total newbie, I really have no idea what to look for and how to use their suggestions at the store. Are there any specifics that I need to consider when choosing another Motherboard?....

And one last question:
I have been reading a lot as you can imagine and I keep coming across references to static electricity when building the PC. Some say you have to be careful, some say it really doesn't matter.

But just to be on the safe side, if I just buy an Antistatic Wristband, would that take care of the issue? Meaning as long as I have that on when putting the PC together, I wont be damaging any parts, correct?...

If everything goes ok, I will be going to the Microcenter this weekend to get the parts. I will update this thread as I am sure I will need more help along the way.

Thank you so much.


m
0
l

Best solution

June 5, 2014 5:32:16 PM

satrap said:
@ esco_sid

Thanks once again for taking time to help.

I think I like the idea of going to Microcenter and getting everything at once, especially since they price match, so I get the same deals as online retailers without waiting for the shipment to arrive.

The only thing that worries me is the Motherboard issue you talked about. As a total newbie, I really have no idea what to look for and how to use their suggestions at the store. Are there any specifics that I need to consider when choosing another Motherboard?....

And one last question:
I have been reading a lot as you can imagine and I keep coming across references to static electricity when building the PC. Some say you have to be careful, some say it really doesn't matter.

But just to be on the safe side, if I just buy an Antistatic Wristband, would that take care of the issue? Meaning as long as I have that on when putting the PC together, I wont be damaging any parts, correct?...

If everything goes ok, I will be going to the Microcenter this weekend to get the parts. I will update this thread as I am sure I will need more help along the way.

Thank you so much.




It is hard to suggest a motherboard as they do not list what they have in store on their website but they usually have asrock extreme4 z97 or z87 that are good choices also extreme6 is good choice but more expensive as far as wrist strap yes you can get one but if you dont its not a big deal iv built many systems over the years never had any issues without one. Also Asus usually makes best motherboards so if you can get one that is z97 z87 or h87 H97 for around $150 would be good choice as you would get $40 off the price anyways with bundle here i did some adjustments for microcenter

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: $487.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 20:31 EDT-0400)

Heres a link to their deals http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/74d27166#/74d27166/... go to computer parts and should see a list of cpu+mobo combos with prices.

As far as the one i go to in Chicago they seem pretty knowledgeable here so i would assume the same in your area they should answer all of your questions there.

Share
June 6, 2014 2:45:48 PM

satrap said:

It is hard to suggest a motherboard as they do not list what they have in store on their website but they usually have asrock extreme4 z97 or z87 that are good choices also extreme6 is good choice but more expensive as far as wrist strap yes you can get one but if you dont its not a big deal iv built many systems over the years never had any issues without one. Also Asus usually makes best motherboards so if you can get one that is z97 z87 or h87 H97 for around $150 would be good choice as you would get $40 off the price anyways with bundle here i did some adjustments for microcenter

Heres a link to their deals http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/74d27166#/74d27166/... go to computer parts and should see a list of cpu+mobo combos with prices...



Hi,

Thank you so much for taking time again to go through all the trouble to adjust everything. I really appreciate it.

That sounds and looks great. Not to mention the price is a bit lower, I know MB is not included in this price total, but even if I spend $150 on a MB, the price is still a bit lower than the original one.

I always had the idea that you can find the best deals online, but your suggestion shows it pays off to double check with offline retailers as well. Thanks for that.

In the image you provided the link to, I can see they have the Asus Z87-A (SLI) ATX for around $150, which since it's the bundle deal it would go down to around $110.

Do you think that's good, or do you think since I am saving a little by buying it at MC (Compared to the websites mentioned in your first reply), I should spend a bit more and get something even better?

Thanks also for the talk about the Wristband. If I see one for $5-$10 I may get one just to be safe (mostly to just look cool and geeky wearing it in front of my girlfriend, lol).

By the way, I want to mark this thread as Solved. But would I be able to come back and post later on with updates or perhaps if any question comes up?...

Once again thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to help. I know you guys don't get paid for doing this, so I truly appreciate your selflessness.
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 7:57:53 PM

satrap said:
satrap said:

It is hard to suggest a motherboard as they do not list what they have in store on their website but they usually have asrock extreme4 z97 or z87 that are good choices also extreme6 is good choice but more expensive as far as wrist strap yes you can get one but if you dont its not a big deal iv built many systems over the years never had any issues without one. Also Asus usually makes best motherboards so if you can get one that is z97 z87 or h87 H97 for around $150 would be good choice as you would get $40 off the price anyways with bundle here i did some adjustments for microcenter

Heres a link to their deals http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/74d27166#/74d27166/... go to computer parts and should see a list of cpu+mobo combos with prices...



Hi,

Thank you so much for taking time again to go through all the trouble to adjust everything. I really appreciate it.

That sounds and looks great. Not to mention the price is a bit lower, I know MB is not included in this price total, but even if I spend $150 on a MB, the price is still a bit lower than the original one.

I always had the idea that you can find the best deals online, but your suggestion shows it pays off to double check with offline retailers as well. Thanks for that.

In the image you provided the link to, I can see they have the Asus Z87-A (SLI) ATX for around $150, which since it's the bundle deal it would go down to around $110.

Do you think that's good, or do you think since I am saving a little by buying it at MC (Compared to the websites mentioned in your first reply), I should spend a bit more and get something even better?

Thanks also for the talk about the Wristband. If I see one for $5-$10 I may get one just to be safe (mostly to just look cool and geeky wearing it in front of my girlfriend, lol).

By the way, I want to mark this thread as Solved. But would I be able to come back and post later on with updates or perhaps if any question comes up?...

Once again thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to help. I know you guys don't get paid for doing this, so I truly appreciate your selflessness.


That particular board is fine and yes you can mark it as solved it wont affect anything.

m
0
l
June 9, 2014 8:31:18 PM

Ok, so I went and got everything this weekend. But since they didn't have the power supply in the above build, the guy recommended a replacement, so:

XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

was replaced with

inland ATX ILG-500R2 500W Gold Series

I asked the guy if it was compatible, and he said yes. He seemed very knowledgeable and was very helpful. So, I took his word for it.

I have everything together except some of the cables. But it seems like this is actually not compatible with the motherboard (Asus Z97M Plus) since the Sata cables don't seem to fit to their spot on the Motherboard.

I am going to take it back tomorrow to their "Knowledge Center" to see if I am actually right. But just wanted to get your take on it to see if you guys think its compatible. I kind of think maybe I am just not putting the Sata cables in the right spot on the MOBO, but not sure. Would love to get some opinion on that.

Thanks.
m
0
l
June 9, 2014 8:52:39 PM

I would return that power supply i picked that xfx specifically because it is made by seasonic micro center should have evga power supplies get one of those and as far as sata well all sata slots are the same on every motherboard so not sure what to tell you also that motherboard is m-atx so it has less slots for upgrading you might want to get same model just full ATX one. I am suprised you got recommended that power supply ask them to show you power supplies that are made my seasonic or super flower evga ones are made by super flower.
m
0
l
June 9, 2014 9:02:19 PM

Thank you. I will do that tomorrow.
m
0
l
June 10, 2014 5:07:15 PM

So I have got everything together, booted to PC and installed win 8.1.

The only issue I have now is it telling me "Windows did not detect any networking hardware" whicih means I cannot connect to the internet. So, I am off to do some research to find out whats going on.

Thanks again for all your help. This build wouldn't be possible without your help.
m
0
l
June 10, 2014 5:46:45 PM

You just need to install network drivers they should be on the cd that should have been included with the motherboard once you have installed network drivers you should go to motherboards manufacturers page and download all the latest drivers for your motherboard.

For software packaging visit ninite.com and select what you need its fully automated saves a lot of time
m
0
l
June 10, 2014 8:22:31 PM

esco_sid said:
You just need to install network drivers they should be on the cd that should have been included with the motherboard once you have installed network drivers you should go to motherboards manufacturers page and download all the latest drivers for your motherboard.

For software packaging visit ninite.com and select what you need its fully automated saves a lot of time


Hi, Thanks again.

Yeah, I put the cd in but I don't see any network drivers option. Is it actually identified in that CD as "Network drivers"?...

I am kind of lost here.

Also what all do I need to download from the motherboards manufacturers page?

Thanks.
m
0
l
June 11, 2014 12:27:19 AM

satrap said:
esco_sid said:
You just need to install network drivers they should be on the cd that should have been included with the motherboard once you have installed network drivers you should go to motherboards manufacturers page and download all the latest drivers for your motherboard.

For software packaging visit ninite.com and select what you need its fully automated saves a lot of time


Hi, Thanks again.

Yeah, I put the cd in but I don't see any network drivers option. Is it actually identified in that CD as "Network drivers"?...

I am kind of lost here.

Also what all do I need to download from the motherboards manufacturers page?

Thanks.


Well you can just install everything on the cd it just might be a little outdated drivers but should work fine.

m
0
l
June 11, 2014 9:00:47 PM

Yeah, after doing a bit more research last night, I learned that the driver in that CD is not actually named Network drivers, it was Intel something.

Anyway, so as soon as I installed that, I was connected.

So, I spent the better part of the day backing up and moving stuff from the old PC to the new one and setting things up. Now its all set.

I just want to thank you once again for all your help. It truly wouldn't not be possible without your help.

It has been a truly satisfying experience building my first PC (even though its technically putting things together and not really building). And thanks to your help and the advice from others, for the most part everything went smoothly. So I know next time I could put the whole thing together and working in less than an hours probably.

I will take a pic and update here just in case anyone is interested.

Once again, thank you so much.
m
0
l
June 12, 2014 1:28:06 PM

satrap said:
Yeah, after doing a bit more research last night, I learned that the driver in that CD is not actually named Network drivers, it was Intel something.

Anyway, so as soon as I installed that, I was connected.

So, I spent the better part of the day backing up and moving stuff from the old PC to the new one and setting things up. Now its all set.

I just want to thank you once again for all your help. It truly wouldn't not be possible without your help.

It has been a truly satisfying experience building my first PC (even though its technically putting things together and not really building). And thanks to your help and the advice from others, for the most part everything went smoothly. So I know next time I could put the whole thing together and working in less than an hours probably.

I will take a pic and update here just in case anyone is interested.

Once again, thank you so much.


No problem man it should easily last you 4+ years its a good setup.

m
0
l
!