FX 8350 Faulty?

Hyphron

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
Hi guys... ive taken my fx 8350 to the repair shop due to bad performance and they told me that my CPU was faulty and im due to receive my new one soon. However, although it is faulty i get very good temps: 30 degrees idle and 63 degrees gaming. Although these temps are low the fans are very very loud and make gaming almost unplayable as you can barely hear the audio. I was just wondering is this noise due to the current CPU being faulty or is it just because i am currently using its stock cooler?! If so do you think i should invest in a h100i water cooler and a new case??

Solution

best way to get rid of the noise is to replace noisy fans, yes. Corsair Air series fans an Noctua have some of the quietest available.
bad performance and a repair shop said it is faulty, I would stick to it's faulty. A faulty CPU can give good temps, no mater what is wrong with it. You may have just bought it faulty, the CPU cooler sounds like it's trying hard (keeping temps down yes but very loud), so see below for a cheap solution.

A cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is good enough for that CPU for doing even a moderate OC, no need to get a 100i when it doesn't do as well as it costs.

Hyphron

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
ok thanks, that seems like a good price aswell, nice and cheap :p Btw my CPU is actually overclocked to 4.2ghz already. Do you think i should pick up a new case aswell? i really really want to be able to finally enjoy gaming with a nice quiet system!

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
The noise you are hearing may not be only from the CPU cooler being loud.. But MOSTLY from your Case Fans. The hotter the CPU temps are the more RPM your front intake fan will have making a lot of more noise. I just bought myself a Hyper 212 EVO for my FX 6300. Plan on overclocking to 4.2 GHz. Maybe 4.1 or 4.0 minimum depending on the temperatures I'm getting.

As for the current temperatures your getting, 63 C is a little hot. It isn't considered "cool" in the gaming world ;) You should be in the 50's range. Considering you are already OC'ed to 4.2 with the stock cooler the Hyper 212 Evo will help immensely. You shouldn't pass 59 C :)

Can you link us your current case?

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

That case is perfect, no need in buying a new one. It has 3 case fans. The front intake bringing in fresh air and exhaust rear one taking out hot air along with the other exhaust fan. The temps you have don't need water cooling. That just adds more risk to leaks, etc possibly breaking other components.

As you have probably read online, the Hyper 212 Evo is the most mainstream budget cooler. It will get the job done and should put you at around 55 C which is cool. So I personally suggest this cooler.

Hyphron

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
the thing is though.. its really really noisy, so i guess ill just replace the stock fx 8350 cooler with the hyper 212 evo and then replace the other 3 fans with corsair sp120s?

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Not sure what to tell you. Replace the stock cooler first.. If it's still too noisy for you i don't know what to say. Majority of gamers don't think it's that loud. Especially with headphones on all the time.

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Not sure what to tell you. Replace the stock cooler first.. If it's still too noisy for you i don't know what to say. Majority of gamers don't think it's that loud. Especially with headphones on all the time.