I have $2000 to build a new computer but...

jbell2825

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
I have no idea where to start. I need everything, monitor, accessories, the whole nine yards. My primary focus is gaming.

If I was to buy the parts today, what would a build look like. I should mention that I have never over clocked my pc's or used anything other than stock fans. However, if its easy to do, I would gladly entertain systems that take advantage of over clocking.

There is another caveat, I don't really need this system till late this year/early next. I have a decent set up now that covers me fine, but there a several new games coming out that I think will tax my current set up. With this in mind, are there new technologies coming out I should wait for? New chip sets etc.?

I know the longer you wait the more machine you can buy but while my current system works, my kids have taken to using it more and more. I can go either way, buy know if the time is right, or wait if there is a new technology that will revolutionize gaming, or at least knock down the price for current builds.

Thank you for the help.

SHADE117

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
if you don´t need the pc yet there is realy no point in thinking about specific components yet.
There may be new GPUs in fall and very soon new CPUs so it would be smart to wait untill then

jbell2825

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

That is what I was kind of wondering, is there anything new on the horizon, any drastic new technology in the foreseeable future? With my current rig, I think I can play all games on decent settings for another year or two so while I have one that works and dont need one, I would like a new computer.

I just want to avoid buying an cassette tape a month before CD's hit the shelves.

SHADE117

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
well Nvidias new GPUs should be coming out around that time ie GTX 880 intel is doing haswell refresh and x99 if thats what it´ll be called and AMD usualy has new stuff around fall-Xmas too and also DDR4 Ram, so yea allot to look forward to ;)

jbell2825

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
Probably a dumb question but I thought they already had DDR5 out. Isn't that what the PlayStation 4 was using? Also, what about over-clocking? Is this something I should focus on? Is the speed gained worth the effort? Or will it make a noticeable difference?

SHADE117

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
GDDR5 is in the ps4 and on GPUs DDR3 and 4 are system memory
overclocking to me is just fun... you gain so little that its hardly worth it on high end hardware, now if you watercool thats a diferent story...