600$ or less gaming PC

xLINDZx

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
hello,
i am thinking of building my first gaming computer. I'm not very good with the technical side of things like hardware and stuff, so i was wondering if i could have some help. I want to be able to run Battle field 3 and 4, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Watchdogs, Grand theft auto, and all those kind of games. I really do not care if the graphics are maxed out at 1080p or anything, just as long as it runs smoothly. I really dont know where to begin to look.

Here are my requirements
8-16 gigs of ram
500-1TB of storage
really nice graphics card
able to run those games up there smoothly

Id appreciate all the help i can get thank you all!

anthony8989

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.73 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.21 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $594.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-04 18:10 EDT-0400)

The Athlon X4 760k is a great overclocker - able to reach the mid 4Ghz range. The R9 270 is a great overclocker as well. That card can easily match the more expensive 270x which is a re-branded HD 7870 GE . This rig would be able to play most games at medium to high settings on 1080p fairly smoothly provided you overclock the GPU and CPU to the highest stable frequencies.

Solution
Actually the 2014 titles (Watch Dogs for example and soon to come out COD: AW and BF5) are VERY demanding that NO Anthony's system would NOT be a good investment for the titles your saying to include (2013 forward). For older titles (BF3 etc.) yeah you could get away with it.

You can't "PC GAME" under $700, and certainly not 2014 titles. They are demanding alot more so your more looking at doubling your budget and looking at i7 CPUs, AMD R9 or Nvidia 760 video cards (those video cost $349-$499) just to keep on par for WatchDogs, etc. I would recommend if your going to be on a limited budget GO CONSOLE. PS3/Xbox are only $149 and play current titles and old ones for example.

anthony8989

Distinguished

Looks like you didn't read his description. He said he didn't care if the games were maxed out as long as he could play it smoothly. Minimum CPU for Watch Dogs is a Phenom II X4 940 and GPU is a HD 5770. So yeah I think he'll be just fine with my rig - which btw is a fantastic rig for the money. It will play 95% of all games at medium to high settings with the exception of a handful of games that can be played smoothly at lowered settings.

anthony8989

Distinguished
If you prefer Nvidia + Intel here's another option:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3240 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($117.96 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31/W8 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($47.37 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $596.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 12:51 EDT-0400)

Anthony: Not a Intel/Nvidia Fanboy, please don't mistake that from me. I prefer Nvidia because AMD doesn't support above 60Hz, which my older eyes need a 120Hz displays to keep my virtual head from being Bambi in people's quick scopes LOL. AMD also has withdrawn from producing a solution comparable to Intel at this point. While they may include more 'lanes' (true cores), programs did not follow suite, so a optimized threading solution (Hyperthreading) to create the function of two cores inside one actual physical one performs better in all applications at present. That AMD can't or won't come up with a similar innovation (which would trounce Intel if it could be applied to all current selling FX line CPUs) it has, in the game space, made AMD irrelevant as only it single top end chip (FX-8xxx) can compete now in the i5-Haswell space, and still nothing touches i7.

This then is the basis for the hardware I would suggest normally, a FX-8 ot i5, but real performance i7, especially as Intel knocked the price right off on the newer Haswell to be at the best price point instead of being a 'hefty amount'. But this is the line I think you and I differ on. *I* will not spend $500-600 or so just to get medium or low graphics just to say 'yeah I played that game', at that price, (as I mentioned) it be better and more 'cost effective' besides hell lot better looking to invest in a console if your at that price range. The majority of the people posting these questions tend to be Jane/Joe NoideaConsumer whom also ONLY expect that 'youtube' video performance level which is normally a 1080p display, at least 50Fps, and usually on High to Ultra (so it looks like that 'video I saw on the Internet') which again the systems you offered won't cut it for BF4 (been there done that for both your AMD and i3 solutions) and all the threads and even Forbes Magazine WatchDogs article stating the issue appears to be the 'porting to PC' and as such there isn't the optimized video coding the consoles enjoy, which makes PC performance poor unless you have the highest level machines (i7, Nvidia 760 or AMD R9).

So given all this I framed my response a bit differently based on these 'facts' (want me to start tossing articles, benchmarks, etc. out there I can fill this thread again to prove the point I am not spewing stuff in forum, but using the information from multiple independent authoritative sources?). As I said, I won't game minimally so I can get "games that can be played smoothly at lowered settings." It just doesn't jive to spend that much money for so little gain.

anthony8989

Distinguished

You've completely lost me. First, I don't know why you chose this particular thread to make this point. Second, this thread is not about *YOU*. This thread was created to find the OP a good gaming machine at sub-$600 pricing. I really don't care what your opinion is on ''gaming experience'' - because the fact of the matter is, this machine isn't for you. And sorry if this contradicts your personal feelings, but facts lack the capacity to care about what *YOU* think. If the OP decides to build either of these rigs, he'll enjoy a perfectly acceptable gaming experience.

I can easily fill this thread with countless articles and links to benchmarks showing that you don't need tier 1 gear to have a good time gaming, as well - what's your point?

Ashley1993

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
CPU Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core $135.00
Motherboard MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 $62.00
Memory Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $95.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM $57.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GT 640 2GB $99.00
Case Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower $45.00
Power Supply Antec 350W ATX12V $42.00
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $23.00
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 $17.99