Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrading my Graphic card. Need suggestions pls.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 4, 2014 3:52:00 PM

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me determine what graphic card I should upgrade to. As of now, I have a gtx 560 ti, I am not looking for top of the line performance, more like best value for my dollar. I have been looking at the gtx 670 and the gtx 760, when comparing it looks like the 670 out performs the 760 which brings me to another question and I apologize if this sounds ignorant.. but is that possible ? is it possible for the 600 series to out perform the 700 series ?

I have been able to find a gtx 670 windforce x3 for 200$, is this a good deal ? is there something better i should be looking at ?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2014 4:00:24 PM

Is your GTX 560Ti not performing well enough? What resolution and game are you playing? What is your power supply?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2014 4:06:50 PM

670 does infact out perform the 760, by a fair bit even. i would like to say the 760 is far more energy efficient, but it isnt. 670 is simply a better card

what you have to look at here is the x60 vs x70. yes the 670 is a generation older but it is also a tier higher.

one thing in favour of a 760 is overclocking though. they overclock like a beast whereas the 670 does not achieve such high clocks. if you want to push the cards, the 760 could match or even beat a 670.
m
2
l
Related resources
June 4, 2014 4:15:18 PM

damric said:
Is your GTX 560Ti not performing well enough? What resolution and game are you playing? What is your power supply?


Hey,

My 560 performs well however there is a few titles that i play such as batman where i lose resolution. example, when performing combo attacks between enemies the picture will break depending on how fast my character is moving. Also, I just purchased watch dogs and am noticing a lot of lag after playing for a few hours. It gets to the point where its unplayable and I have to restart my system (I imagine this isnt good for my gpu). My power supply is thermaltake 750w and i believe my resolution is 1920 × 1080 (full screen on my 40 inch).



m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2014 4:18:58 PM

watch dogs is heavily bound by cpu limitations. ive also heard of stuttering issues for people with beastly machines using a hdd instead of a ssd.

for watchdogs to run well you want a high end cpu, ssd and decent gpu

it ran well on my system and my video card is quite old but my cpu is a beast and i have a ssd.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2014 4:23:55 PM

Either of those cards is a worthy upgrade then.

Isn't the GTX 760 GK104 based? Are they the same? I'll have to look that one up.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2014 4:25:24 PM

760 is infact gk104, as is a 670. 670 is beefier in regards to shaders and whatnot, 760 overclocks better.
m
1
l
June 4, 2014 4:43:41 PM

neon neophyte said:
670 does infact out perform the 760, by a fair bit even. i would like to say the 760 is far more energy efficient, but it isnt. 670 is simply a better card

what you have to look at here is the x60 vs x70. yes the 670 is a generation older but it is also a tier higher.

one thing in favour of a 760 is overclocking though. they overclock like a beast whereas the 670 does not achieve such high clocks. if you want to push the cards, the 760 could match or even beat a 670.


neon neophyte said:
watch dogs is heavily bound by cpu limitations. ive also heard of stuttering issues for people with beastly machines using a hdd instead of a ssd.

for watchdogs to run well you want a high end cpu, ssd and decent gpu

it ran well on my system and my video card is quite old but my cpu is a beast and i have a ssd.


I've been trying to respond but it doesn't seem to be posting. I was saying that I wouldn't really know where to begin with overclocking. From what ive read it can be very bad for you graphic card? shorten its life span at times?

I don't want to mess with things I dont quite understand, that said, the 760's overclocking abilities is irrelevant in my case. The 670 its is! Question, is 200$ a decent price? and is there a big difference in between the windforce and the standard model ? is it just cooling capabilities ?

Im running a i5 2500 3.3 ghz with a 2 tb hdd.

m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2014 4:48:35 PM

200 dollars is a good price for sure.

the windforce card has a better cooler and is overclocked a fair bit naturally. ie, it is a faster card without you needing to play with overclocking.

i say go for it
Share
June 4, 2014 4:54:22 PM

neon neophyte said:
200 dollars is a good price for sure.

the windforce card has a better cooler and is overclocked a fair bit naturally. ie, it is a faster card without you needing to play with overclocking.

i say go for it



Great! thanks to everyone that who helped out. A solution has been found. :) 
m
0
l
June 4, 2014 4:58:02 PM

neon neophyte said:
200 dollars is a good price for sure.

the windforce card has a better cooler and is overclocked a fair bit naturally. ie, it is a faster card without you needing to play with overclocking.

i say go for it



one last question; is my cpu okay for the gaming I am doing, or should i be looking at upgrading it ?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2014 5:05:11 PM

for the most part, it is more than adequate. watchdogs could very well be a bit bigger of a bite than it can chew though. it'll be close. i say try the gpu solution out and then re-assess from there.
m
0
l
!