fx 8320 or 8350

G

Trying to figure out which one to get, the programs that I made and that my company uses don't work with intel that well. my older am2+ processor was working better than the i7 that I have in another system, so intel is out of the question. I can't go down to 6 core. So any other suggestions other than the 8320 or 8350 will be ignored.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Solution
G

This is kind of my build so far, I already have the motherboard,ram,case,and power supply. Also the cpu cooler, I just had it laying around. I wasn't really to sure about the r9 280, I was planning on just overclocking the crap out of it until it gets up to about the 280x. I saw xfx had their 280x for the price of the 280 from gigabyte that I wanted.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($265.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $827.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-04 22:14 EDT-0400)

Due to the fact that you are overclocking, I would try and swing a higher watt PSU. FX 8320 and Radeon 9 280 already draw quite a bit. Overclocked, the FX 8 core has a massive power draw.

At least leave it at stock until then. And if you are indeed planning on taking it to the max, the Hyper 212 will not be enough. You will need one of the really big ass air coolers or a dual radiator water loop.

G

I'm probably doing a light overclock on the the processor, and a heavy overclock on the video card. The power supply will probably be enough for me until I decide to upgrade more. Its pretty much a high quality seasonic with xfx branding.

G

Sounds good, trying to decide which video card. Thinking gigabyte, msi, or asus. I know a lot of people like sapphire but I had a lot of trouble with their rma before. So I'm thinking of those 3. The only problem that I had with asus was thata the cooler didn't cover everything and one day I heard a loud buzzing noise in my headphones and then my screen went black and somehow a chip on the card fell off onto the bottom of my case. So I'm thinking about trying asus again but not 100% sure, leaning more towards gigabyte or msi.

G

which one is probably the coolest and the most quite? the gigabyte card with that gray/silver look would be nice with my motherboard

G

Okay thanks a bunch. I might post my finished build once I get everything on pcpartpicker when I get a chance. I'll tell em tomshardware helped a lot.

G

Just got the power supply, I ordered the 80+ bronze, The box also said 80+ bronze, but the power supply itself was the gold model. Not that xfx ever needs to know or anything.