i5 4570 or AMD FX-8350 for light video editing and gaming?

Ech0location

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I game a lot (for 15+ hours on occasion) and I edit and process videos for my friends youtube channel (for about 1-3 hours a day). I was wondering which processor would be fastest for both these applications, possibly at the same time. Also, what's the overclocking potential of the 8350? I could overclock if it would really help, but I think I'd need a separate cooler. Can you recommend a good one?

Solution
The i5 is the better option for gaming, but the FX will be better for the video editing just because it has more cores it can use, but if you can afford it, move up to an i7 and then you will have the best of both worlds.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
The i5 is the better option for gaming, but the FX will be better for the video editing just because it has more cores it can use, but if you can afford it, move up to an i7 and then you will have the best of both worlds.

Solution

Agreed.
Also, gaming is a real-time function. Video editing isn't so if it takes 20% longer that's not as big of a deal.

I recommend the i5-4570 (or better) as well. Possibly the new i5-4690K.

The new "Devil's Canyon" Haswell CPU's are compatible with 1150 socket but appears to need the new 9-series (i.e. Z97 not Z87) for certain power control functions. Not sure that it's a big deal but maybe someone has more information on that.

I just bought the Asus Z87 Gryphon motherboard when building my dad's PC as it was $155, and was a "TUF" series with 5-Year Warranty. The newer Z97 version was a little more expensive and I just couldn't see much difference. I might have bought the i5-4690K on release but it wasn't (isn't?) out yet plus I only overclocked to 4.2GHz to keep it quiet under load (highest I could overclock with messing with Intel's power management setup).

i want to oc but i can just buy the i5 then later buy i7 when the price goes down or get the intel iris 5th gen