Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU temp rising and lowering sporatically after installing graphics card and PSU

Tags:
  • Overheat
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics Cards
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 5, 2014 1:02:06 AM

I recently purchased an Radeon R7 240 graphics card for my computer that was using integrated graphics. Before installing this I upgraded my PSU from 300watts to 680watts due to the fact that the box said I needed a minimum of 400-500watts. Now my CPU will run at ~50C with only Speccy open and randomly jump up around 80C. I read elsewhere that my A6-5400k processor should run at a max of 70C and these temperature spikes concern me. Right after installing the card I played a single game of League of Legends to test it and during this my PSU maintained a temperature just above 70C. Can somebody please help me handle this heat issue before it causes damage to my hardware? The OS I am using is Windows 8.1

More about : cpu temp rising lowering sporatically installing graphics card psu

a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2014 6:20:51 AM

Please give the airflow layout of your Case and we will be able to help you.
Also as a precaution, try to clean dust from your case and fan grills as this will help for efficient cooling.
And are you using a stock cooler for your CPU??
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2014 7:45:11 AM

When you were installing your new PSU and GPU did you move/touch the CPU cooler at all?
Make sure the CPU cooler fan is running (may have been accidentally unplugged in the upgrade)
m
0
l
Related resources
June 5, 2014 1:47:56 PM

I just changed all my parts back to stock for the time being and Speccy is still saying that my computer is running too hot which I don't understand since its stock parts with a single program running. As far as the fans I'm sure that they were all working with the new parts. My computer also should be fairly clean since it was dusted yesterday. As for the air flow I'm not sure but I can post a picture of the inside with the new parts in it if it helps. http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Aaron_Tiger/media/201... (aside from the 2 fans you can see there are 2 more inside the PSU)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2014 11:20:56 PM

PreludeTo95 said:
I just changed all my parts back to stock for the time being and Speccy is still saying that my computer is running too hot which I don't understand since its stock parts with a single program running. As far as the fans I'm sure that they were all working with the new parts. My computer also should be fairly clean since it was dusted yesterday. As for the air flow I'm not sure but I can post a picture of the inside with the new parts in it if it helps. http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Aaron_Tiger/media/201... (aside from the 2 fans you can see there are 2 more inside the PSU)


Try removing the new graphics card and see the results as your GPU is passively cooled, it might be radiating heat above which might be thrown by the CPU fan onto the processor. Try removing the new card.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2014 12:05:36 AM

PreludeTo95 said:
I recently purchased an Radeon R7 240 graphics card for my computer that was using integrated graphics. Before installing this I upgraded my PSU from 300watts to 680watts due to the fact that the box said I needed a minimum of 400-500watts. Now my CPU will run at ~50C with only Speccy open and randomly jump up around 80C. I read elsewhere that my A6-5400k processor should run at a max of 70C and these temperature spikes concern me. Right after installing the card I played a single game of League of Legends to test it and during this my PSU maintained a temperature just above 70C. Can somebody please help me handle this heat issue before it causes damage to my hardware? The OS I am using is Windows 8.1


What were your speccy temps before the upgrade?

I own an A10-6800k and I haven't found speccy to be reliable at all. It reports 85° while gaming while my CPU socket temps hover around 52° and it's very unlikely that there's a 30° difference between socket and core.

Download AMD overdrive and tell me, what is your 'thermal margin' under load?
m
0
l
June 7, 2014 4:26:56 PM

Speccy reports mid 70s while playing games with stock pieces and lower 80s playing the same game with the new parts
m
0
l
June 7, 2014 5:23:38 PM

Your speccy might have a glitch of some sort. you may need to find a different program to moniter your temp.
m
1
l
June 9, 2014 5:04:17 PM

I tried downloading the AMD Overdrive program that was mentioned and just like Speccy the temp was going all over the place. It was varying from 45C to 68C with only the AMD Overdrive program running. I have yet to try playing a game and monitoring the temperature during it.
m
0
l
June 9, 2014 10:34:05 PM

I tried reinstalling the new parts and at one point ended up with speccy reading 82C while AMD Overdrive was reading 35C. I am severely confused now as to how that happened.

As far as the stock parts go I replaced the thermal paste on the heat sink and the computer runs League with the processor in the low 50s (according to AMD Overdrive) .

However with these new parts my processor's readings are still going berserk. The frequency keeps jumping from ~1400 up to ~3800 and turning red. The usage will sit on 2% then jump up to 100% then proceed to bounce up and down everywhere in between (this is without me even touching the computer) . Lastly, my heat is still uncontrolled and being inaccurately measured. Any and all help is appreciated and sorry about the amount of text
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 10, 2014 12:18:34 AM

PreludeTo95 said:
I tried reinstalling the new parts and at one point ended up with speccy reading 82C while AMD Overdrive was reading 35C. I am severely confused now as to how that happened.

As far as the stock parts go I replaced the thermal paste on the heat sink and the computer runs League with the processor in the low 50s (according to AMD Overdrive) .

However with these new parts my processor's readings are still going berserk. The frequency keeps jumping from ~1400 up to ~3800 and turning red. The usage will sit on 2% then jump up to 100% then proceed to bounce up and down everywhere in between (this is without me even touching the computer) . Lastly, my heat is still uncontrolled and being inaccurately measured. Any and all help is appreciated and sorry about the amount of text


Ok this all sounds fine.

AMD overdrive reports the distance from max temperature (when your thermal margin hits zero the CPU should start throttling to stop it getting any hotter). Overdrive is poor at reading idle temperatures but gets more accurate under load. A margin of 35 degrees while gaming is great (mine is around 30).

Frequency - your processor has a stock frequency of 3600mhz with 3800mhz turbo. AMD overdrive will turn red whenever 3600 is exceeded but it's completely normal and nothing to worry about.

m
0
l
June 10, 2014 12:27:36 PM

Alright, thank you so much. I only have 2 other questions concerning my PC's health with these parts.

Since AMD Overdrive reports the distance from a "maximum" heat capacity, is there any way I can see what the program has determined the capacity to be or should it just be trusted?

Also, would anything negative happen if my processor's frequency kept spiking up or remain around 3600 for something like 5 hours?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2014 12:56:15 AM

PreludeTo95 said:
Alright, thank you so much. I only have 2 other questions concerning my PC's health with these parts.

Since AMD Overdrive reports the distance from a "maximum" heat capacity, is there any way I can see what the program has determined the capacity to be or should it just be trusted?

Also, would anything negative happen if my processor's frequency kept spiking up or remain around 3600 for something like 5 hours?


The maximum is 70 degrees: http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopAPUDetail.aspx?id=...

AMD overdrive isn't really accurate at low temperatures but it does get better as you get closer to the thermal margin. I wouldn't expect high temperatures from your APU if you aren't using integrated graphics as the graphics portion takes up almost half of the die area.

Processor frequency - if you have power saving features turned on (in BIOS) it should rise and fall, this is expected and normal. If you have them turned off it would stay at 3600 all the time. Nothing negative would happen - 8 hour stress tests on a CPU are common practice when overclocking so no, I wouldn't worry.
Share
!