Please help! 7990 gpu's at 100% at idle...

Inky_Enston

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
My XFX 7990 GPU's if the PC is left to running ing for 30 seconds with only gpu-z running, launches from 0% to 100% (2nd core 0Mhz-1000Mhz) until I move the mouse, then it will drop back to 0%! The 1st core 300Mhz (normal) at idle to 100% and restores once the mouse is moved too. I have CCC v14.4 installed and have only had the PC 2 days. It seams to run all games and programs fine, but I've haven't tried running any since the win8.1 and CCC update apart from bf4 which wasn't installed earlier and seams to run OK but not as smooth as crysis 3 which was installed on the later win8. Both were set to full ultral everything @1080p. I have set UPLS to 0 in the registry with no change what's so ever and the highest temp recorded was on the 2nd GPU @84c.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: Both gpu's hit 100% with nothing running except gpu-z until the mouse is moved. It will last for 30secs at normal then hit 100% again until the mouse is moved. I've tried beta drivers etc. All I haven't tried is a wipe. I'm not quite keen on backing down over a problem that can only be viral, malware, software confliction or driver error/confliction. I've noticed there's a few that have had similar and have fixed it with altering UPLS or driver change. I've tried both.

Inky_Enston

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
Update:
In the end I found out the reason for the cards inevitable failure after much confusion and speculation from many, the card was not faulty. The issue was a fault with my XFX pro series 750Watt Gold certificate. I'm not exactly sure what the issue was only that a test meter showed it to be working correctly. Yet, when I plugged a friends
500watt PSU into the card I was able to achieve a display. I bought a Corsair CW 750watt Bronze and the issues were dissolved. The test meter may have been faulty but the symptoms were that of a lost rail.