Which HD 7970 for Crossfire?

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I'm going to Crossfire my HD 7970, so I would like to know which brand to get. From what I have heard Reference GPUs are best for Crossfire/SLI. I will be buying off Ebay so options are limited.
Diamond HD 7970
MSI Twin Frozr OC HD 7970
Sapphire Dual X HD 7970
XFX DD HD 7970

My case is a NZXT 410 Elite, which has 3 fans 2 front, 1 back which I can add too, since there are 3 more slots, 2 top, 1 bottom.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146080
I currently have a Vision Tek Reference GPU, so tell me what should be on the top or the bottom.
Thanks!

Solution
I would choose MSI or Sapphire. I bought a XFX HD7970 but it was very hot and very loud. I returned it for a Gigabyte WF3 model, and it is quiet and cool (but is a big card). Diamond is one of the few companies on my personal "Do Not Buy" list for past experiences with utterly incompetent / non-existent tech support and compatibility issues; with competitors offering none of that hogwash, I have no excuse to buy (or recommend) Diamond.

Be very careful about buying one of these off eBay. They were very popular for mining, so the card you get may have been worked half to death and be on its last legs.
I would choose MSI or Sapphire. I bought a XFX HD7970 but it was very hot and very loud. I returned it for a Gigabyte WF3 model, and it is quiet and cool (but is a big card). Diamond is one of the few companies on my personal "Do Not Buy" list for past experiences with utterly incompetent / non-existent tech support and compatibility issues; with competitors offering none of that hogwash, I have no excuse to buy (or recommend) Diamond.

Be very careful about buying one of these off eBay. They were very popular for mining, so the card you get may have been worked half to death and be on its last legs.

Solution

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I heard XFX has a Life time transferable warranty, if so should I go with that just in case it was a mining GPU? Also which would cool better in my case?

Warranties tend to exclude abuse, so that's not a sure advantage. As to cooling, I bought a XFX HD7970 at first because other XFX cards I'd owned (HD5770, HD7770, HD7750, HD7870) were all fast, quiet, and cool. Their HD7970 was hot and loud, and their tech support was not responsive about it, so I returned it for the Gigabyte card. In comparison, it is cool and quiet, although it is also a lot bigger.
You might wish to add a top exhaust and bottom intake fan to your case to improve cooling.

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I think I'll get a MSI GPU. Does MSI have a transferable warranty? I have never owned a MSI GPU.

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
For cooling in Crossfire are reference GPU better? So I have a Reference GPU right now. If I got a second one they would be blowing air out of the case. If I got a Non reference the GPU would exhaust some air in the case which the other would intake, that at least how I think it would work. So which would give better cooling? I'm choosing between a MSI Twin Frozr and ASUS reference.