sub $700 gaming critique please.

Solution
I would change out the power supply. I like to have the build displayed out so this is what you have setup now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99)
Memory: Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $39.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Soprano ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $34.99)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $640.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 16:25 EDT-0400)

this is what I would change.

+PSU changed to a XFX power supply they use a strong OEM with Seasonic components. With a builders power supply I would say that I would be okay with it if you weren't putting heavy loaded items like a GPU on it but they don't use very strong components by comparison to there more gamer centered systems.
+Optical Drive: I have had horrible luck with LG drives I would go against it they make great things surely. However, that being said sometimes they are on the cheaper side of things and break and or stop working quicker to. I have a Blu ray Drive by ASUS has worked for a good year to year and a half thus far no problems at all. My LG Blu ray drive lasted 6 months and pooped on me, then I went to another LG drive same deal so I'm just recommending a brand that I can trust to recommend to you.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99)
Memory: Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $39.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Soprano ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $34.99)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $646.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 16:27 EDT-0400)

Bastiat

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

actually, its a microcenter bundle with the CPU. CPU+MB = 199.99. PCPP didnt recognize the bundle http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

@bigshootr8

Sp you would say a 650W XFX > EVGA 750W for the same price for this build?

And, yea, that burner was actually more or less filler as there are multiple $15 dvdrws around at the moment. It seemed that every time I would change the optical drive, PCPP would mess with my selection. I expect to either buy an asus or samsung.

EVGA has been doing better jonnyguru has reviewed some of their units of late and they have been good. See the thing is though that 750 watts is overshooting your current output power wise. As per pcpartpicker it suggests that you will be using 474 watts of power. Your power supply will run more efficiently when you are using 80% or higher normally depending on the 80 plus cert. You don't need to have a 750watt power supply however if you feel you will expand in the future to more cards for w.e reason I don't see the harm in it. I suggest XFX mainly because they use Seasonic OEM which is considered pretty much the gold standard. Can't go wrong with either but my vote is for the XFX unit.

Found the review jonny did for the evga unit you were thinking about. He's the go to guy for power supply reviews.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=380

Bastiat

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

thanks for the explanation. I did consider (I say consider, I am open to suggestions on upgradeability as well, afterall I am new to this.) making it crossfire upgradeable for the future should that HIS drop in price or see a really really good deal over black friday/new years or something. That GPU requires 2 8 pin connectors which the evga can give (in the form of [6+2]x4) but not the 650 or 750 xfx as far as I can see.

Correct me if I am wrong, But a higher PSU running less than 80% is just not as efficient as a 650 running over 80% correct? Neither will pull its rated wattage unless it has to, So I am just looking at a couple %? wasted power right? a couple 10s of watts max?

Here is a graph for you. Based on the graph you'll see that if you are using 50% of your unit more efficient then if you were very little of it. I have a Corsair AX850 and that's a 80 plus gold unit. But I wouldn't get to wrapped in that in the sub 100 range what you are looking at is good.

80plus-en.png

What it comes down to is wasted power versus used power. If you have a 1000 watt power supply and are only using 100 watts of it that's 10%. The efficiency may be okay but its overkill and you aren't getting the most efficient situation. Having the ability to crossfire if you can find a usage scenario is okay. I'm more of a single GPU person myself but its possible to find a scenario that fits the bill like you said if the prices drop enough.

Bastiat

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
thanks for the help Bigshootr8, I realized earlier at the gym that my paragraph that started with "Correct me if I am wrong" may have come across as argumentative. Actually, and I know its rare for the internet, I seriously wanted you to correct me lol. Hope it didnt come across that way. I probably would go with the xfx if I were able to crossfire the card I picked, but the evga will allow me to grab a second card without having to upgrade anything else. Again, thanks.

Bastiat

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
well, feel stupid after that. I looked over some reviews and stuff and everything showed 4 6+2 vga connectors....apparently it just wasnt for that EXACT model number. In fact, the model number listed on newegg I couldnt even find on evga's website. Newegg (leave it to me to look at reviews and overlook the product page) shows 3 6+2 connectors so it wont even make me ready for crossfire anyway, so back to square 1 on psus. I guess tomorrow will be scouring the internet for cheap xfx's/seasonic's

That is interesting. I would think that would be maybe for a single card with a motherboard that requires an additional 8 pin connection or something how odd. Well Either way Bastiat I would say that unless you are spanning games over mutiple screens and you are going over the resolution of 1440p a single GPU is probably going to be your best bet. I didn't think you were being argumentative you were just questioning/acquiring further knowledge.

Edit: Went back to Jonny Guru's review it shows 4x 6+2's where did you see 3

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=380

Bastiat

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

i'm pretty sure this was the one on shellshocker yesterday. Its a bronze and a "110" in the model number. Take that and make it a "120" and you get 4 pins. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438025

But, anyway, unfortunately, I am going to throw in another. Lets say I just skip the CF planning for now. The Gigabyte MB allows fr it so I would have to change the PSU as well, But I guess I could always reuse a 650W, thats a common level right? Here is another EVGA (I know I sound like I am pushing them, But honestly this is my first build and they "sound" like good deals. ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438026&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL060614&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL060614-_-EMC-060614-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17438026-L09A Funnily enough, this has the pins for crossfire, but not the wattage. Or, the cheapest I have seen an xfx 650 is $70 http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO750W-Bronze-Energy-Certified/dp/B0045L4BJ6/ref=sr_1_38?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1402061669&sr=1-38

The one in the review is the G2 and the one on newegg is version B but you were right 3x 4+2 Connections interesting choice to say the least.

I Think you would be fine going with the EVGA one you listed http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438026&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL060614&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL060614-_-EMC-060614-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17438026-L09A the 650W supply that is a pretty decent price for a 80 plus gold unit. Sure the XFX would be a fine choice as well but I like the EVGA one more bc its fully modular meaning you can take every cable you need and ditch the ones you don't. +1 for the EVGA PSU.

Solution