Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Will SeaSonic G-Series 650W be sufficient for running Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC & Intel 4790?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Intel
  • Seasonic
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
  • G-Series
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 5, 2014 3:47:08 PM

Hello!

I'm at the end of choosing parts for my first custom gaming/dev pc. Current selection is:

- Intel i7 4790
- Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X OC 4gb
- Asus H97 PRO
- G.Skill Sniper kit 16gb (1600)
- Crucial MX100 256GB SSD.

Could please someone advise me on proper PSU for this build? I'm reading up on the subject but there is so many different opinions that I'm a bit confused. Besides some of desirable PSUs like EVGA Supernova G2 750W are not available to me at the moment.

I should mention I intend to plug in nvidia 9800gt for side by side testing (opengl development) and even though the fun things like gaming will obviously run on the Sapphire, I have no idea if the nvidia requires any power when not used (possibly no monitor connected to it). Maybe, at some point, I'll decide to overclock the Sapphire. The official power need for the card is 750W, but I read wattage alone isn't all that matters.

So, is SeaSonic G-Series 650W sufficient to power all this (the 750W version isn't available ATM)? Any other suggestions? After reading up on it Corsair PSUs seem like such a gamble...

I expect the appropriate PSU to be in 100 - 200€ price range.

Thanks a lot!

wic

More about : seasonic series 650w sufficient running sapphire 290 tri intel 4790

June 5, 2014 3:49:02 PM

Not even close.

You need at least 1000W+

I would recommend at least a 1200W+ that would give you room for overclocking those cards and the processor in the future.
m
1
l
June 5, 2014 3:55:41 PM

jkhoward said:
Not even close.

You need at least 1000W+

I would recommend at least a 1200W+ that would give you room for overclocking those cards and the processor in the future.


Erm.. I'm pretty confused why that would be? 4790 isn't the "K" overclocking version, neither is the motherboard. The Sapphire is supposed to need 750W but that's (as far as I understood reading up on the subject) because they take into account low quality PSUs.

Partpicker says I'm at 427W with the above build. This is why I'm asking for help, because most people say 650W quality PSU is even overkill... I'm clearly not sure about that.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 5, 2014 4:01:40 PM

Those calculators are not always accurate.

Lets do some basic math here..

A 290 has a 250W per card.
The 4790 is 84W.

Which is 834W under max load.

Now add the motherboard, memory, LED lights, hard drives, aging power supply capacitors and you are looking at 1000W+

Now you will not always be running everything under a full load. But if you go with a low-end power supply and you do hit max load you are going to have tons of issue and could damage your hardware or start a damn fire.

The PSU should always have more juice than is required and should be a good reliable brand that provides consistent power across the board. Pay more now, save later. A good PSU can be moved from computer to computer too.
m
1
l
June 5, 2014 4:02:39 PM

WAIT!!!! OMGosh!

I read your post wrong..

YES!

That is plenty.

I thought you said TRI FIRE. Meaning 3 290 in crossfire.

Yes. That is plenty. Have a great day.

*embarrassed*
m
1
l
June 5, 2014 4:06:54 PM

as the manufacture site does indicate 750watt power supply (minimum) is required. If you choose to ignore basic system requirements the manufacturer sets out; you are running the risk of damaging your components. i would get a 800 watt just to be safe.
m
1
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 5, 2014 4:08:29 PM

deWiced said:
jkhoward said:
Not even close.

You need at least 1000W+

I would recommend at least a 1200W+ that would give you room for overclocking those cards and the processor in the future.


Erm.. I'm pretty confused why that would be? 4790 isn't the "K" overclocking version, neither is the motherboard. The Sapphire is supposed to need 750W but that's (as far as I understood reading up on the subject) because they take into account low quality PSUs.

Partpicker says I'm at 427W with the above build. This is why I'm asking for help, because most people say 650W quality PSU is even overkill... I'm clearly not sure about that.


Good to go - way more +12v amps than you need - you'd be able to OC if the CPU/Mobo were capable.

m
1
l
June 5, 2014 4:13:07 PM

jkhoward said:
Those calculators are not always accurate.

Lets do some basic math here..

A 290 has a 250W per card.
The 4790 is 84W.

Which is 834W under max load.

Now add the motherboard, memory, LED lights, hard drives, aging power supply capacitors and you are looking at 1000W+

Now you will not always be running everything under a full load. But if you go with a low-end power supply and you do hit max load you are going to have tons of issue and could damage your hardware or start a damn fire.

The PSU should always have more juice than is required and should be a good reliable brand that provides consistent power across the board. Pay more now, save later. A good PSU can be moved from computer to computer too.


jkhoward said:
WAIT!!!! OMGosh!

I read your post wrong..

YES!

That is plenty.

I thought you said TRI FIRE. Meaning 3 290 in crossfire.

Yes. That is plenty. Have a great day.

*embarrassed*


Heh, I was just writing about how according to reviews max consumption of the whole system is at most 430W. :)  Thanks, I guess 650W is ok then.
m
0
l
June 5, 2014 4:17:31 PM

toyftw said:
deWiced said:
jkhoward said:
Not even close.

You need at least 1000W+

I would recommend at least a 1200W+ that would give you room for overclocking those cards and the processor in the future.


Erm.. I'm pretty confused why that would be? 4790 isn't the "K" overclocking version, neither is the motherboard. The Sapphire is supposed to need 750W but that's (as far as I understood reading up on the subject) because they take into account low quality PSUs.

Partpicker says I'm at 427W with the above build. This is why I'm asking for help, because most people say 650W quality PSU is even overkill... I'm clearly not sure about that.


Good to go - way more +12v amps than you need - you'd be able to OC if the CPU/Mobo were capable.



Could you please educate me in a very quick course why having more +12v amps is important/sufficient and how this translates to 650W being enough, compared to the manufacturers required 750W?

Also, another important part of the question is WHICH PSU? Corsair seems to be tacky. Do I stick with the SeaSonic G-Series, because I don't have the funds really for X-Series. The PC will be under considerable stress though. Not only gaming, but opencl computing and all that (not mining but computer vision etc).

Thanks a lot!
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
June 6, 2014 6:21:09 AM

deWiced said:
toyftw said:
deWiced said:
jkhoward said:
Not even close.

You need at least 1000W+

I would recommend at least a 1200W+ that would give you room for overclocking those cards and the processor in the future.


Erm.. I'm pretty confused why that would be? 4790 isn't the "K" overclocking version, neither is the motherboard. The Sapphire is supposed to need 750W but that's (as far as I understood reading up on the subject) because they take into account low quality PSUs.

Partpicker says I'm at 427W with the above build. This is why I'm asking for help, because most people say 650W quality PSU is even overkill... I'm clearly not sure about that.


Good to go - way more +12v amps than you need - you'd be able to OC if the CPU/Mobo were capable.



Could you please educate me in a very quick course why having more +12v amps is important/sufficient and how this translates to 650W being enough, compared to the manufacturers required 750W?

Also, another important part of the question is WHICH PSU? Corsair seems to be tacky. Do I stick with the SeaSonic G-Series, because I don't have the funds really for X-Series. The PC will be under considerable stress though. Not only gaming, but opencl computing and all that (not mining but computer vision etc).

Thanks a lot!


Hi again - The +12v amps is a more relevant power spec than total watts because the most power hungry components such as the CPU, GPU, HDD, draw their current from the +12v rail(s).

Older and inferior PSU designs that show a high watt total very often have lot of the total on 3.3v & 5v
rails and not as much on +12v rail(s) as better quality and newer PSU design platforms.

Your build needs should have at least 31 +12v amps, the G series 650 has 54 +12v amps, considerably more than enough for your system.


Also, GPU mfg's tend to overstate PSU power rating for exactly the reasons above (old designs and/or inferior build)
along with a new glitch, Bitcoin/Litecoin mining which are for more taxing on a PSU than gaming.
Share
June 6, 2014 10:12:26 AM

toyftw said:
deWiced said:
toyftw said:
deWiced said:
jkhoward said:
Not even close.

You need at least 1000W+

I would recommend at least a 1200W+ that would give you room for overclocking those cards and the processor in the future.


Erm.. I'm pretty confused why that would be? 4790 isn't the "K" overclocking version, neither is the motherboard. The Sapphire is supposed to need 750W but that's (as far as I understood reading up on the subject) because they take into account low quality PSUs.

Partpicker says I'm at 427W with the above build. This is why I'm asking for help, because most people say 650W quality PSU is even overkill... I'm clearly not sure about that.


Good to go - way more +12v amps than you need - you'd be able to OC if the CPU/Mobo were capable.



Could you please educate me in a very quick course why having more +12v amps is important/sufficient and how this translates to 650W being enough, compared to the manufacturers required 750W?

Also, another important part of the question is WHICH PSU? Corsair seems to be tacky. Do I stick with the SeaSonic G-Series, because I don't have the funds really for X-Series. The PC will be under considerable stress though. Not only gaming, but opencl computing and all that (not mining but computer vision etc).

Thanks a lot!


Hi again - The +12v amps is a more relevant power spec than total watts because the most power hungry components such as the CPU, GPU, HDD, draw their current from the +12v rail(s).

Older and inferior PSU designs that show a high watt total very often have lot of the total on 3.3v & 5v
rails and not as much on +12v rail(s) as better quality and newer PSU design platforms.

Your build needs should have at least 31 +12v amps, the G series 650 has 54 +12v amps, considerably more than enough for your system.


Also, GPU mfg's tend to overstate PSU power rating for exactly the reasons above (old designs and/or inferior build)
along with a new glitch, Bitcoin/Litecoin mining which are for more taxing on a PSU than gaming.


Perfect! Thanks a lot for the explanation! I guess I chose ok and I understand why now. ;) 

Thanks. Cheers!

wic
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 6, 2014 10:31:38 AM

deWiced said:
toyftw said:
deWiced said:
toyftw said:
deWiced said:
jkhoward said:
Not even close.

You need at least 1000W+

I would recommend at least a 1200W+ that would give you room for overclocking those cards and the processor in the future.


Erm.. I'm pretty confused why that would be? 4790 isn't the "K" overclocking version, neither is the motherboard. The Sapphire is supposed to need 750W but that's (as far as I understood reading up on the subject) because they take into account low quality PSUs.

Partpicker says I'm at 427W with the above build. This is why I'm asking for help, because most people say 650W quality PSU is even overkill... I'm clearly not sure about that.


Good to go - way more +12v amps than you need - you'd be able to OC if the CPU/Mobo were capable.



Could you please educate me in a very quick course why having more +12v amps is important/sufficient and how this translates to 650W being enough, compared to the manufacturers required 750W?

Also, another important part of the question is WHICH PSU? Corsair seems to be tacky. Do I stick with the SeaSonic G-Series, because I don't have the funds really for X-Series. The PC will be under considerable stress though. Not only gaming, but opencl computing and all that (not mining but computer vision etc).

Thanks a lot!


Hi again - The +12v amps is a more relevant power spec than total watts because the most power hungry components such as the CPU, GPU, HDD, draw their current from the +12v rail(s).

Older and inferior PSU designs that show a high watt total very often have lot of the total on 3.3v & 5v
rails and not as much on +12v rail(s) as better quality and newer PSU design platforms.

Your build needs should have at least 31 +12v amps, the G series 650 has 54 +12v amps, considerably more than enough for your system.


Also, GPU mfg's tend to overstate PSU power rating for exactly the reasons above (old designs and/or inferior build)
along with a new glitch, Bitcoin/Litecoin mining which are for more taxing on a PSU than gaming.


Perfect! Thanks a lot for the explanation! I guess I chose ok and I understand why now. ;) 

Thanks. Cheers!

wic


Enjoy!
m
1
l