Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

looking to build a good gaming PC with a budget of 2300

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 6, 2014 1:48:19 PM

im looking for a gaming build strictly for gaming some internet surfing.

Approximate Purchase Date: starting this week

Budget Range: 2300 to 2500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: cheapest

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Massachusetts usa
Parts Preferences: Intel based

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: i don't know haven't used it in a while

Additional Comments: want the PC to look beast with a NZXT phantom 630 black. I also want a color combo of black and red. also be able to play games like skyrim battlefield on high to ultra. also i will be getting a 4790k. if you know a processor thats better use it.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My laptop cant handle the games i play

June 6, 2014 2:01:26 PM

2300 USD will get you a really powerful PC. Would reccomend getting a high resolution monitor for that. Otherwise it won't be able to perform at its full potential. (1000 USD is plenty for 1080p) If you want to play in 4k, I would reccomend the R9 295x2 graphics card. AMD have designed that one specifically for 4k and is definately cheaper than nvidia's equivalent. I don't think you can get it in black and red though, only silver and red. It might push your budget a little as well as it is 1500 USD alone. You can hold back and wait for the next generation of GPUs. They will definately be better optimized for 4k and monitors will be cheaper as well. Your choice.
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 2:04:13 PM

Really nice to build that kind of systems :D 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($629.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($629.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2534.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 17:03 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
Related resources
June 6, 2014 2:06:32 PM

First Config:
1.Processor - Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

2. Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

3. Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

4.Storage - Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for os & 4TB Seagate STATA III HDD for storage

5. Graphics Card (Two Nos in SLI configuration) - ASUS GEFORCE GTX 590 (FERMI) 3072MB 768-BIT GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS 2.0 X16 SLI SUPPORT

6. Cabinet - Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans or Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower . Best According to me

7. PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200i 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified

8. CPU Heatsink - CORSAIR H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

9. Monitor - 27 inches Samsung/LG

10.UPS - APC 1500kva
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
June 6, 2014 2:15:10 PM

Pallab Das said:
First Config:
1.Processor - Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

2. Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

3. Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

4.Storage - Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for os & 4TB Seagate STATA III HDD for storage

5. Graphics Card (Two Nos in SLI configuration) - ASUS GEFORCE GTX 590 (FERMI) 3072MB 768-BIT GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS 2.0 X16 SLI SUPPORT

6. Cabinet - Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans or Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower . Best According to me

7. PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200i 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified

8. CPU Heatsink - CORSAIR H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

9. Monitor - 27 inches Samsung/LG

10.UPS - APC 1500kva
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




A 3930K and 32GB of RAM will go unused on a gaming rig. Just about the only benefit of X79 for gaming is the use of dedicated PCI lanes on an SLI configuration. But it's still not worth the investment as you won't get back what you paid for in terms of performance. Plus why include expensive things you don't need like UPS in your budget? The budget should consist of the tower and tower only - only peripherals should be monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Here's what you do for $2300 (assuming no monitor is needed) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($106.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($629.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($629.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.66 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($23.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2399.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 17:15 EDT-0400)

m
0
l
June 6, 2014 2:39:14 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Pallab Das said:
First Config:
1.Processor - Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

2. Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

3. Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

4.Storage - Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for os & 4TB Seagate STATA III HDD for storage

5. Graphics Card (Two Nos in SLI configuration) - ASUS GEFORCE GTX 590 (FERMI) 3072MB 768-BIT GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS 2.0 X16 SLI SUPPORT

6. Cabinet - Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans or Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower . Best According to me

7. PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200i 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified

8. CPU Heatsink - CORSAIR H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

9. Monitor - 27 inches Samsung/LG

10.UPS - APC 1500kva
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




A 3930K and 32GB of RAM will go unused on a gaming rig. Just about the only benefit of X79 for gaming is the use of dedicated PCI lanes on an SLI configuration. But it's still not worth the investment as you won't get back what you paid for in terms of performance. Plus why include expensive things you don't need like UPS in your budget? The budget should consist of the tower and tower only - only peripherals should be monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Here's what you do for $2300 (assuming no monitor is needed) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($106.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($629.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($629.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.66 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($23.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2399.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 17:15 EDT-0400)



nice build but can it be overclocked and the color scheme was black and red but ill changit to black and blue
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 6, 2014 3:14:57 PM

This is what I would do:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $2075.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 18:13 EDT-0400)

Leaves you some money for a 144hz monitor or 1440p monitor + accessories
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 3:32:20 PM

Guys he wanted a 4970k and a Phantom 630 xD I think 2x780 Ti is better than 1x295x2, but this one is only 150$ more, so if you want a 295x2 put 150$ and my build would work properly. As someone said before, I think the best bet here is not x79, for gaming you can get a cheaper build with same potential, or in this case, better GPU for the same budget!
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
June 6, 2014 3:55:26 PM

Joshuahandy said:

nice build but can it be overclocked and the color scheme was black and red but ill changit to black and blue


Anything with a K processor can be overclocked and I definitely recommend that for gaming as opposed to getting a Xeon or locked processor. I generally don't build around color schemes but if you want to I can change it around.

Quote:

Guys he wanted a 4970k and a Phantom 630 xD I think 2x780 Ti is better than 1x295x2, but this one is only 150$ more, so if you want a 295x2 put 150$ and my build would work properly. As someone said before, I think the best bet here is not x79, for gaming you can get a cheaper build with same potential, or in this case, better GPU for the same budget!


You're not getting a 4970X and Radeon R9-295 on a $2300 budget, the motherboard, CPU, and RAM alone on a build like that would be well over $1700 (4970X = $999, Asrock X79 Extreme 11 = $399, 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaw X = $449), that doesn't leave you much room for anything else.
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 3:58:58 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Joshuahandy said:

nice build but can it be overclocked and the color scheme was black and red but ill changit to black and blue


Anything with a K processor can be overclocked and I definitely recommend that for gaming as opposed to getting a Xeon or locked processor. I generally don't build around color schemes but if you want to I can change it around.

Quote:

Guys he wanted a 4970k and a Phantom 630 xD I think 2x780 Ti is better than 1x295x2, but this one is only 150$ more, so if you want a 295x2 put 150$ and my build would work properly. As someone said before, I think the best bet here is not x79, for gaming you can get a cheaper build with same potential, or in this case, better GPU for the same budget!


You're not getting a 4970X and Radeon R9-295 on a $2300 budget, the motherboard, CPU, and RAM alone on a build like that would be well over $1700 (4970X = $999, Asrock X79 Extreme 11 = $399, 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaw X = $449), that doesn't leave you much room for anything else.


He said 4790k, which is the devils canyon i7 which costs 330$, or the same as the i7 4770k.
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 4:02:52 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Joshuahandy said:

nice build but can it be overclocked and the color scheme was black and red but ill changit to black and blue


Anything with a K processor can be overclocked and I definitely recommend that for gaming as opposed to getting a Xeon or locked processor. I generally don't build around color schemes but if you want to I can change it around.

Quote:

Guys he wanted a 4970k and a Phantom 630 xD I think 2x780 Ti is better than 1x295x2, but this one is only 150$ more, so if you want a 295x2 put 150$ and my build would work properly. As someone said before, I think the best bet here is not x79, for gaming you can get a cheaper build with same potential, or in this case, better GPU for the same budget!


You're not getting a 4970X and Radeon R9-295 on a $2300 budget, the motherboard, CPU, and RAM alone on a build like that would be well over $1700 (4970X = $999, Asrock X79 Extreme 11 = $399, 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaw X = $449), that doesn't leave you much room for anything else.


no i said 4690k sorry for the mistake.is there any processors that are better for gaming? if you could build around a color scheme that would be great... you can choose the color scheme whatever is easier
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
June 6, 2014 4:06:11 PM

Joshuahandy said:

no i said 4790k. if you could build around a color scheme that would be great... you can choose the color scheme whatever is easier


Wait are you talking about the new i7s and i5s that are about to be released and not the 4970X? They're just a refresh of the CPU that's currently out now and aren't going to offer much variation in terms of performance.
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 4:07:53 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Joshuahandy said:

no i said 4790k. if you could build around a color scheme that would be great... you can choose the color scheme whatever is easier


Wait are you talking about the new i7s and i5s that are about to be released and not the 4970X? They're just a refresh of the CPU that's currently out now and aren't going to offer much variation in terms of performance.


There isn't even any 4970x, its the 4960x what your thinking about. And yes, we are talking about the i7 and i5 refresh processors and are said to give around 10% performance increase. However, we will not know till the benchmarks come out.
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 4:09:15 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Joshuahandy said:

no i said 4790k. if you could build around a color scheme that would be great... you can choose the color scheme whatever is easier


Wait are you talking about the new i7s and i5s that are about to be released and not the 4970X? They're just a refresh of the CPU that's currently out now and aren't going to offer much variation in terms of performance.


ya i meant the i5 4690k the devils canyon the one thats about to be released sorry for the mistake guys
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
June 6, 2014 4:13:53 PM

Joshuahandy said:
ya i meant the i5 4690k the devils canyon the one thats about to be released sorry for the mistake guys


OK yeah that would make a lot more sense then. I was gonna say you could definitely not afford a 4970X, R9-295 and 32GB of RAM on a $2300 budget. :lol: 
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 4:20:22 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Joshuahandy said:
ya i meant the i5 4690k the devils canyon the one thats about to be released sorry for the mistake guys


OK yeah that would make a lot more sense then. I was gonna say you could definitely not afford a 4970X, R9-295 and 32GB of RAM on a $2300 budget. :lol: 


ya ik lol i have my other build here it is will it work ?also is it worth waiting for the 4690k? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xrZndC
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 4:31:09 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Joshuahandy said:
ya i meant the i5 4690k the devils canyon the one thats about to be released sorry for the mistake guys


OK yeah that would make a lot more sense then. I was gonna say you could definitely not afford a 4970X, R9-295 and 32GB of RAM on a $2300 budget. :lol: 


also is amd good for gaming and is there a high end build i could look at?
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 4:33:43 PM

Joshuahandy said:
g-unit1111 said:
Joshuahandy said:
ya i meant the i5 4690k the devils canyon the one thats about to be released sorry for the mistake guys


OK yeah that would make a lot more sense then. I was gonna say you could definitely not afford a 4970X, R9-295 and 32GB of RAM on a $2300 budget. :lol: 


also is amd good for gaming and is there a high end build i could look at?


With that budget, no. Amd is great for budget builds with like 600-800$. Intel is much better for gaming if you have the money which you do.
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 4:39:04 PM

pigsinspace72 said:
Joshuahandy said:
g-unit1111 said:
Joshuahandy said:
ya i meant the i5 4690k the devils canyon the one thats about to be released sorry for the mistake guys


OK yeah that would make a lot more sense then. I was gonna say you could definitely not afford a 4970X, R9-295 and 32GB of RAM on a $2300 budget. :lol: 


also is amd good for gaming and is there a high end build i could look at?


With that budget, no. Amd is great for budget builds with like 600-800$. Intel is much better for gaming if you have the money which you do.


ah good to know... is it worth waiting for the 4690k?
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 4:54:43 PM

Im personally waiting for the 4790k, primarily because my finals end on june 25 and newegg ships it that day :D 
m
0
l
June 6, 2014 5:05:05 PM

pigsinspace72 said:
Im personally waiting for the 4790k, primarily because my finals end on june 25 and newegg ships it that day :D 


nice dude i just got out of school. just graduated. ::) : i might just get the 4670k and overclock it.
m
0
l
!