HD 7970 Heat issues

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
So I just bought this GPU off ebay, since I was getting a good price, or at least in my opinion. So I installed the drivers and everything, now I think it is getting to hot.
I was playing Metro 2033 and it got up to 98 degrees Celsius and all of a sudden jumped to 100% fan speed.
So first of all is that temperature normal on this GPU? (I don't think it is)
Should I just be running it a a higher manual speed?
Thanks!

Solution
Do not push that thing that far. That temperature is really high and the TJMAX on it is 95 degrees Celsius. Which model is it and what clocks are you running it on? What is the idle temperature and fan speed on idle?

RastislavB

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Do not push that thing that far. That temperature is really high and the TJMAX on it is 95 degrees Celsius. Which model is it and what clocks are you running it on? What is the idle temperature and fan speed on idle?

Solution

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Its at stock. At idle it is at 20% 39 degrees. If needed I can return it since I would say it is not in working condition if its frying itself. Visiontek BTW

Yes I definitely would. As a general tip, I don't suggest buying hardware like GPUs used in the first place especially through eBay because despite a good seller, you don't know what kind of days the GPU has seen!!

Just to check, what form factor and fan setup are you using?? As in if you have an itx chassis with bad airflow, it could push temps up too.

RastislavB

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
If it's too good to be true then it probably is. You wouldn't want to learn this the hard way a few months later after your GPU melts and maybe even takes something else with it. If it was me, I would return it. How much did you even pay for it?

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
NZXT Tempest 410 Elite http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146080

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
$160. Seems low for a working GPU. But I wasn't worried since there is a money back guarantee.

RastislavB

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Just saw that you said it's a Visiontek and as far as I know they used the reference design and I just saw some temperature tests and under load it was at 81 degrees and it could easily get worse with dust getting in an already inadequate cooler and who knows what was it doing before you bought it.

Ohhhhh.. just had a look too. Don't look too great and I have never heard of them before :D. Now I would be less surprised with the temps since its using the rubbish stock cooler.

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

I think I'll pick up a R9 280x with a better cooler. Any recommendations?

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I just took it out to pack up and noticed that the fan is really dusty. (Should of looked when taking it out to install) So do you think I should use compressed air to try and clean it? Or is it to hot to possibly be dust? If I use the air it will be CRC duster. Also if I am (Never cleaned out a GPU fan with compressed air before) do I just keep the can level and blow away or how should I do it?
Thanks!

RastislavB

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I wouldn't try taking off the cooler unit from the PCB. If something sticks to a fan then you know it's bad. As long as you can return it try not to tinker with it too much. Unless you are sure that the reason for that is the dusty fan then you can do it but don't expect that you're gonna get your money back. Besides, if it has done it once it will do it again. You also won't know if the reason is a dusty fan because for that low of a price he must have already tried to clean the fan and there is something else wrong.

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Yeah, I'm returning it, I did get some of the dust off, but that really didn't decrease the temps so its getting shipped monday. Luckily I have a second PC so I can just use it.
Thanks for all the help guys!