770 not compatible with HP OEM motherboard?

frankiz_mtl

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Okay its a long and complex question so please hang on.

Initially, I got an HP h8-1211 desktop with a 300w generic PSU, a 7570 (6570), an
Angelica motherboard, etc. Full specs at link below, with an OEM win7...

A year later I upgraded to a GTX 650 Asus e edition (all the power from the PCI 2.0 slot)
with no problem.

Recently I purchased a zotac gtx 770 with a EVGA 600B to power it and a new, bigger
case, the nzxt h230. The problem is it didn't want to boot. The initial normal HP blue
page showed up, but instead of disappearing after 2 seconds it stayed. So I clicked
on Escape for startup menu, it shows me my specs and stay so, unless I press Ctrl alt
delete, to go back to the blue page.

The GPU detect when the 8pin and 6 pin connector are not plugged in.
All the fans are spinning.
Usual lights shows up.
Monitor connected to the GPU by HDMI, or DVI.

The molex 6pin adaptor to the PSU molex works the same way as the 6+8 pins works
(they are the same main cable ), it's for that reason I tried.

If I put in place the old 650, everything works fine with the new PSU and case, so

I naturally accused the GPU, as did the zotac support. So I returned it for defectuosity,
they gave me a new one. And...you guessed it, same thing.

So now I'm thinking of just doing a completely new build with the purchased parts,
exception of the ram, the DVD, and the DVD, which I planned anyway, but just later.

A friend told me how his HP computer refused some upgrades because it was
programmed so.

Also, I did a troubleshoot and said the smart test failed, error 30F, on the web it seems
as an HDD problem so I don't know...

Thanks if you've made it so far and please illuminate me.

Hypothesis 1: The mobo refuse high-end card such as the 770 but accepts slight upgrade as the 650.
Hypothesis 2: The power supply 6+8 pins connectors are faulty in some way?
Hypothesis 3: the HDD is causing problems but why only with the 770.

Solution

RastislavB

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Solution

frankiz_mtl

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

Even if the 'picture I saw' passed throught the gpu to the hdmi cable? I really know nothing in BIOS and other things of the kind but wouldn't I just saw nothing?
But it makes sense, and the link is very pertinent, didn't found it.

So I will upgrade sooner than expected, thanks for the fast reply.

RastislavB

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
No problem, I am also not an expert regarding BIOS but the picture that was on display sure is confusing, atleast you know you aren't the only one that has this problem with upgrading the graphics card.