Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

fx 8350 and msi r9 280x in a prodigy or prodigy m case, which motherboard, power supply, ram etc?

Last response: in Components
Share
June 7, 2014 8:54:06 AM

I'm going to be building a pc for gaming with a fx 8350, a msi r9 280x and 8gb ram and want to fit it into either a prodigy case or a prodigy m, what are the best parts available for the lowest price? I'm going to be trying to but the parts cheap from ebay, is this a bad idea? This will be my first build and I'm a complete noob to building pc's.
Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 9:43:25 AM

If you want to go into a prodigy I dont think you can go with an FX chip as there are no AM3+ chip sockets in the mini-itx form factor
If you want to step upto the Prodigy-m you can find mATX boards for the AM3+ but even there they tend to have the older chipset (760 or 860 rather then 990), just going by reviews on newegg I would go with this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a build in a prodigy I would definitely say get an i5, far more selection of boards and better gaming performance then the 8350
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
m
0
l
June 7, 2014 10:29:15 AM

SU11YBEAR said:
If you want to go into a prodigy I dont think you can go with an FX chip as there are no AM3+ chip sockets in the mini-itx form factor
If you want to step upto the Prodigy-m you can find mATX boards for the AM3+ but even there they tend to have the older chipset (760 or 860 rather then 990), just going by reviews on newegg I would go with this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a build in a prodigy I would definitely say get an i5, far more selection of boards and better gaming performance then the 8350
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Thanks, I think i'll go with the 8350 as it's cheaper unless i can find a good deal on an i5 or i7. Any idea on which ram would be best with that motherboard?
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 10:44:49 AM

Well right now you can get an i5-4440 (new version of 4430 if i remember correctly) for 5 dollars more
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd8350frhkbox
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54440

If you still want to go the 8350 route unfortunately that chipset only seems to support upto 1333 ram, below is the link to support RAM by G-Skill
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=29&chip=228&...
Any combo set from G-Skill that is compatiable is a good choice in my opinion, look for 7 latency if you can find a set with it online
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 11:05:45 AM

Threw together the i5 based option quickly, single merchant is newegg to make ordering stuff easy (assumed a 1TB drive for storage, this can be changed to what you want, i.e. SSD only, SSD boot and HDD storage), this build leaves out OS and disc drive, OS is your choice but probably Win7or8 and 64bit to use the ram and disk drives are options that alot of ppl skip since they just use USB for everything or download

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QWfH8d
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QWfH8d/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QWfH8d/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($127.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $859.49
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 14:02 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a c 1864 ) Power supply
a c 972 V Motherboard
a c 745 à CPUs
a c 705 U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 11:09:00 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $196.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 14:08 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 11:13:29 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $196.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 14:08 EDT-0400)


Problem is the motherboard is full ATX, OP wants to use Prodigy case (or Prodigy-M) so need mITX or mATX board
m
0
l
a c 1864 ) Power supply
a c 972 V Motherboard
a c 745 à CPUs
a c 705 U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 11:17:22 AM

FX8350 ON A MICRO BOARD is a waste of time because they all have poor thermal designs.
m
0
l
June 7, 2014 11:22:42 AM

If a bigger pc is cheaper than a smaller one I'd go for that, I'm not going to be moving it around at all I just liked the look of the prodigy but I'd choose another one if it saves me money. I guess I'd use any reasonable size case.
m
0
l
a c 1864 ) Power supply
a c 972 V Motherboard
a c 745 à CPUs
a c 705 U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 11:25:26 AM

What's your total budget for parts , don't include OS , Monitor , Keyboard , mouse etc.
m
0
l
June 7, 2014 11:28:25 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
What's your total budget for parts , don't include OS , Monitor , Keyboard , mouse etc.

£500, google says that's $840
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 1864 ) Power supply
a c 972 V Motherboard
a c 745 à CPUs
a c 705 U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 11:31:09 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£105.38 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.24 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£64.77 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.25 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.50 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£204.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.98 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£12.76 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £623.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 19:31 BST+0100)
Share
June 7, 2014 11:36:04 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£105.38 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.24 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£64.77 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.25 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.50 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£204.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.98 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£12.76 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £623.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 19:31 BST+0100)

Thanks! I'm not going to be building it for a while so I'll look for deals to try and get the cost down. Thanks for all the quick answers.
m
0
l
a c 1864 ) Power supply
a c 972 V Motherboard
a c 745 à CPUs
a c 705 U Graphics card
June 7, 2014 11:37:10 AM

No problem , when your ready to build stop back.
m
0
l
!