Get 780 ti now or wait for 800 Series?

asim1999

Reputable
May 10, 2014
Should I buy a 780 ti now or wait for the 800 series. My Dell Dimension 3000 is now dead and need a new desktop,
So which option should I choose for single monitor 1080p?

Solution
It's always best to wait until the end of the product cycle, rather than be one of the first to buy the new generation. The end is when the best, most perfected GPUs come out, after they've discovered and fixed the flaws. You can see this in the Fermi generation (GTX 480 vs. GTX 580) and the Kepler generation (GTX 680 vs. GTX 780). In all of these cases, it was clearly better to wait it out.

So my recommendation is to go for the best the current generation has to offer, the GTX 780 Ti, and wait a couple years for the Maxwell refresh, the 20nm GTX 980s.

NBSN

Admirable
I built my computer towards the end of 2013 and used a 780 Ti EVGA variant, despite considering to wait til the 800 series and the smaller architecture coming out soon. But I decided that I would always be waiting for the next best thing if I waited til then. Honestly I would buy now because it will be another few years 2-3 probably before significantly more powerful GPUs and other components are released.

If you think about how the new consoles are weaker than a mid range build now and are supposed to last several years, the powerful $1,000+ gaming PCs that you can build now will last that long and then some. Which will be long enough for the kinks to worked out of the next generation of components and for them to have better power efficiency and be more powerful while lowering the prices. Just my two cents.

It's always best to wait until the end of the product cycle, rather than be one of the first to buy the new generation. The end is when the best, most perfected GPUs come out, after they've discovered and fixed the flaws. You can see this in the Fermi generation (GTX 480 vs. GTX 580) and the Kepler generation (GTX 680 vs. GTX 780). In all of these cases, it was clearly better to wait it out.

So my recommendation is to go for the best the current generation has to offer, the GTX 780 Ti, and wait a couple years for the Maxwell refresh, the 20nm GTX 980s.

Solution
^ That and you are going to be waiting a while for the 800 Series cards. There are fab delays on the 20nm chips. Below is a more to the point report I've seen. You can scour the internets for others but it's to the point. The 800's won't show up until early 2015, late this year of you are super lucky. I have been sitting on my GTX680 for over 2 years and it runs just super fine and dandy with a nice OC that puts it with the higher clocked GTX770's (same GPU). I've got the itch to upgrade but don't want to fall prey to coughing up the dough for a 780Ti and getting a minimal price on my 680 on eBay or Craigslist and then a GTX880 come out and potentially blows it away... though maybe not per the specs, who knows.

I'd get a Ti and just have fun with it now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-maxwell-20nm-delay,26419.html

deathcall666

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Ok this guys obviouslny didnt read all you said . For 1080p a 270(x) and a gtx760 will do za job until the good stuff are coming.
880(ti).Reasons to wait and buy it:
-it will be on 20nm
-it will powerfull
-it will have humongonous improvements in the performance/watt sector(see the gtx750(ti) which still is on 28nm but has performance over r7 260x at almost half energy and doesnt needs pci-e connectors at all)
-it will be cheaper ( it its right. Release price will be lower than the one of 780(ti))
-as for the bus width even though its was rumored to be 512-bit it may be 256 ( from last sources)

deathcall666

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
If you ask about a GPU always post the resolution you plan to use it. R9 280x is ATM overkill for 1080p and just good for 1440p( without AA). Just take a version with a nice aftercooler market or buy it separatelly : arctic cooling with those 3 fans are the most eficient cooler and quieter air solution)

deathcall666

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
For 1080p both 280x and 770 are too much At The Moment. 270x and 760 are enough. Soo the 280x will ensure fulldetail maxRes on 1080p for next 2-3 and also the matrix edition is one of the best overclocking editions of 280x. Take the 280 "x" model.