Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Windows Media Player appears in tray as Xvid Video Decoder

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 7, 2014 10:08:23 PM

I'm not very familiar with video codecs, but a while ago I accidentally installed Xvid or some variant of it while attempting to install compatibility packs for Deus Ex. Now, whenever I start watching a video with Windows Media Player, it appears in the system tray as "Xvid Video Decoder".

I also noticed in the tray customization that there is an "Xvid Video Decoder" entry attached to "COM Surrogate" as well.

Is there any way to remove this? I've looked around the net and couldn't find anything, and tried "Codec Sniper", but it didn't really seem to help.

Thanks for any help, and I can upload photos if need be as well

More about : windows media player appears tray xvid video decoder

June 7, 2014 10:24:00 PM

Go to my pc; hard drive; add or remove programmes and erase the codec and anything else you dont recognise. Xvideo shouldnt do that. You install the codec, generally you may only see that its Xvid when it starts, I stream all the time. Its likely you picked up an addware infected codec download that has messed about with your player settings.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 7, 2014 10:26:19 PM

Okay, at the very least, Windows Media Player now works properly. To fix that, I deleted:

xvid.ax
xvidcore.dll
xvidvfw.dll

located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64. Not sure if it killed the rest of the stuff, but it's a start
m
0
l
June 7, 2014 10:28:48 PM

tea urchin said:
Go to my pc; hard drive; add or remove programmes and erase the codec and anything else you dont recognise. Xvideo shouldnt do that. You install the codec, generally you may only see that its Xvid when it starts, I stream all the time. Its likely you picked up an addware infected codec download that has messed about with your player settings.


Do you think it would be advisable to also delete any registry keys pertaining to Xvid, or just leave them alone? I could probably just backup the registry first using Ccleaner, then try it out
m
0
l
June 7, 2014 10:48:08 PM

you should use ccleaner at least once a fortnight Pal. clean then defrag;
btw the proper xvid codec is harmless. pick it up from www.xvid.com
Idont tink you need a player. Div x and some others can play it anyway.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2014 10:51:53 PM

Get the k-Lite STANDARD codec pack. It can help cleanup codec dependencies as well when it installs:
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I've been using this for years and think it's the best video player and codec tool. If WMP still launches, associate the file type with MPC-HC.
Share
June 7, 2014 11:08:21 PM

scout_03 said:
with ccleaner you could also use glary utilities http://www.glarysoft.com/ it will find thing that ccleaner does not also there revo uninstaller to check for left over registery keys http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_do... use the free one .


Glary seemed to pick up a lot of registry issues, so that was pretty awesome, but it didn't find anything to do with Xvid. Revo wasn't able to find anything about Xvid either.

tea urchin said:
you should use ccleaner at least once a fortnight Pal. clean then defrag;
btw the proper xvid codec is harmless. pick it up from www.xvid.com
Idont tink you need a player. Div x and some others can play it anyway.


I do typically use CCleaner often, but it never found anything related to Xvid. Thanks for the heads up that Xvid is a legitimate codec though, I'll be sure to look out for it in the future.

photonboy said:
Get the k-Lite STANDARD codec pack. It can help cleanup codec dependencies as well when it installs:
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I've been using this for years and think it's the best video player and codec tool. If WMP still launches, associate the file type with MPC-HC.


So I opened regedit before and after running the installer, and it looks like it killed all the registry keys related to the "Xvid Video Decoder". Thanks!
m
0
l
!