Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Why do people use i5 and i7 in gaming when the i3 performs slightly worse/just as well?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Intel i7
  • CPUs
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
June 8, 2014 3:23:57 AM

This video is evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXPK9doyMLg

Why get the expensive CPU when you can used the money saved on a better GPU? Don't use the future games will be multithreaded excuse, this will be only crappy console ports and the CPU in the new consoles is so weak they are probably going to use half the cores just to run the OS. On a mid range GPU why spend the extra £60? I also think the only reason the i5 might beat the i3 is through higher turbo speed.

More about : people gaming performs slightly worse

a b à CPUs
June 8, 2014 4:00:25 AM

Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2172359/upgrade....

TL: DR While gaming they preform well, they do not multitask very well and can cause hang ups while trying to do other things. I, like OP in that thread, run movies while gaming. OP has issues with chrome and movies hanging (i have similar specs on a spare machine) and run into this issue as well.

Also if you have CPU intensive games that can actually use 2 or more cores. Not many, but I think there are a few.

Edit:TL: DR becomes TL:D R without spacing.
m
1
l
a c 283 4 Gaming
a c 283 à CPUs
June 8, 2014 4:04:39 AM

anti-painkilla said:
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2172359/upgrade....

TL: DR While gaming they preform well, they do not multitask very well and can cause hang ups while trying to do other things. I, like OP in that thread, run movies while gaming. OP has issues with chrome and movies hanging (i have similar specs on a spare machine) and run into this issue as well.

Also if you have CPU intensive games that can actually use 2 or more cores. Not many, but I think there are a few.

Edit:TL: DR becomes TL:D R without spacing.


Yep, try multitasking with an i3 and you'll notice why. I used to game on an i5-650 (comparable to modern i3 CPUs) and trust me, anything CPU intensive + browsing the web + watching videos + listening to music = not smooth.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 8, 2014 6:19:22 AM

Eduello said:
anti-painkilla said:
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2172359/upgrade....

TL: DR While gaming they preform well, they do not multitask very well and can cause hang ups while trying to do other things. I, like OP in that thread, run movies while gaming. OP has issues with chrome and movies hanging (i have similar specs on a spare machine) and run into this issue as well.

Also if you have CPU intensive games that can actually use 2 or more cores. Not many, but I think there are a few.

Edit:TL: DR becomes TL:D R without spacing.


Yep, try multitasking with an i3 and you'll notice why. I used to game on an i5-650 (comparable to modern i3 CPUs) and trust me, anything CPU intensive + browsing the web + watching videos + listening to music = not smooth.


I'm actually not going to do much multitasking, though I may record my games, would I notice much performance loss there?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 283 4 Gaming
a c 283 à CPUs
June 8, 2014 6:22:04 AM

Vindaloovians said:
Eduello said:
anti-painkilla said:
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2172359/upgrade....

TL: DR While gaming they preform well, they do not multitask very well and can cause hang ups while trying to do other things. I, like OP in that thread, run movies while gaming. OP has issues with chrome and movies hanging (i have similar specs on a spare machine) and run into this issue as well.

Also if you have CPU intensive games that can actually use 2 or more cores. Not many, but I think there are a few.

Edit:TL: DR becomes TL:D R without spacing.


Yep, try multitasking with an i3 and you'll notice why. I used to game on an i5-650 (comparable to modern i3 CPUs) and trust me, anything CPU intensive + browsing the web + watching videos + listening to music = not smooth.


I'm actually not going to do much multitasking, though I may record my games, would I notice much performance loss there?


Yes, you might notice quite a big loss, going for an i5 would be preferable.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a c 105 à CPUs
June 8, 2014 7:21:26 AM

yeah it would choke multitasking while gaming/having stuff in the background, and as well as recording the gameplay. I've seen a vid on youtube of it using 99% of a haswell i3 JUST on bf4 with a gtx 760 in multiplayer. If you're really on a budget and can't afford an i5, the fx6300 is a good middleground with the 6 cores or even fx8320 8 core cpu.

But you can pair a budget locked haswell i5 4440 with a cheap h81 motherboard which still has usb 3.0 and sata 6 and be pretty good since it's strong quad core.

I would NOT get a dual core in 2014.......fx6300 at the very least, or I'd take one of those quad core APUs over a dual core >_>

I too multitask alot and use primarily chrome and sometimes firefox with a LOT of tabs open while gaming....plus with a music player and skype going as well as the game on choice on 1080p playing, I can see how that would choke a dual core.


People like to say you can game fine on a dual core, and if you're ONLY gaming and absolutely NOTHING else, you can alright,but, try to multitask and like others have said it'll lag


I'd suggest either the fx8320 or i5+h81 motherboard then spend the rest of your budget on a good GPU and an SSD for windows

The consoles are using 8 cores too so stuff is only going to get worse for a dual core. I wouldn't go lower than a quad core for sure.
m
1
l
June 8, 2014 7:48:22 AM

WhiteSnake91 said:
yeah it would choke multitasking while gaming/having stuff in the background, and as well as recording the gameplay. I've seen a vid on youtube of it using 99% of a haswell i3 JUST on bf4 with a gtx 760 in multiplayer. If you're really on a budget and can't afford an i5, the fx6300 is a good middleground with the 6 cores or even fx8320 8 core cpu.

But you can pair a budget locked haswell i5 4440 with a cheap h81 motherboard which still has usb 3.0 and sata 6 and be pretty good since it's strong quad core.

I would NOT get a dual core in 2014.......fx6300 at the very least, or I'd take one of those quad core APUs over a dual core >_>

I too multitask alot and use primarily chrome and sometimes firefox with a LOT of tabs open while gaming....plus with a music player and skype going as well as the game on choice on 1080p playing, I can see how that would choke a dual core.


People like to say you can game fine on a dual core, and if you're ONLY gaming and absolutely NOTHING else, you can alright,but, try to multitask and like others have said it'll lag


I'd suggest either the fx8320 or i5+h81 motherboard then spend the rest of your budget on a good GPU and an SSD for windows

The consoles are using 8 cores too so stuff is only going to get worse for a dual core. I wouldn't go lower than a quad core for sure.


So would the X4 760k be good for recording?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 105 à CPUs
June 8, 2014 7:50:23 AM

I'd rather get the fx6300 or ideally 8320. I doubt the 760k could maintain 60fps while recording. If you're fine with 30fps it would probably do that paired with a good GPU

edit: it depends on the games and resolution.....what's your budget for the entire pc and do you need OS and monitor too?
m
0
l
June 8, 2014 7:58:02 AM

WhiteSnake91 said:
I'd rather get the fx6300 or ideally 8320. I doubt the 760k could maintain 60fps while recording. If you're fine with 30fps it would probably do that paired with a good GPU

edit: it depends on the games and resolution.....what's your budget for the entire pc and do you need OS and monitor too?


I've posted another thread on that :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2014 8:34:36 AM

A lot of people here also play games that like the big CPU. It seems like every other gaming build thread that I see here is asking if their system can play BF4 and other similarly stressful games
m
0
l