FX 8320 Overclocking, gigabyte 970a-ud3p vs Gigabyte 990xa ud3

Primordial Genesis

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 3, 2014
Hey Everyone, I'm getting a build put together within a month after exam season is over. I don't really know much about motherboards or overclocking however I want to give it a shot and get maybe a 4.3 - 4.5Ghz Overclock on the 8320. After reading other posts on Toms Hardware it sounds like (depending on luck with the 8320 I get) the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO can just about squeeze out a 4.5Ghz overclock on the 8320.

Now comes the problem of the Mobo.

2 boards have taken my fancy due to a very good price. Both are £65 on Amazon.co.uk and I'd rather not really spend more on a motherboard even for Overclocking. Because the extra cost isn't worth it for me since I'll be gaming mostly.

Both the gigabyte 970A-UD3P and 990XA UD3, have gotten mixed views in Overclocking. I was led to believe the 990FX were the only series which could OC, however the 8+2 Power design and Large VRMS on both boards has attracted me to them and some people have seen some good overclocks but I'm still unsure on what to think after the mixed reviews.

So I'd like to know and get a finalized saying. Will either of these boards provide me with a potential for a 4.5Ghz on the 8320?

If so which board is better for this? Except for the crossfire (x8 PCIE x16 slot) on the 990XA UD3 I can't seem to fight a difference between the 2 boards.

Cheers,

Primordial Genesis.

Primordial Genesis

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 3, 2014

Considering the boards are almost the same yet the crossfire one is £2 more which future proofs me in 2 ways: 1. 2 GPU's, 2. If I wanted a second GPU, changing a mobo would require a fresh install of Windows 7 and here in the UK OEM Win 7 is £70 yet the retail is £190.

Primordial Genesis

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 3, 2014
Guys I've read in a few places that the 990XA UD3 has DIMM slot issues when using an aftermarket cooler since the first slot get's covered. Can anyone verify if it's completely covered or would low profile RAM fit? Also would RAM without heatspreaders (ie Low profile) overheat?

TRENDING THREADS