Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

VGA cooler for XFX Radeon 7870 Tahiti LE edition?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 9, 2014 10:31:35 PM

So I have recently bought a 7870 tahiti LE chipset graphics card. After purchasing I saw some reviews talking about the card running pretty hot unless you get an independent cooler for it. So I was just wondering if anyone had an idea as to what I should be looking for? Links much appreciated and I don't want to have to spend too much money on this cooler. As in not much more than $100 if thats at all possible.
Please and thank you :) 
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2014 10:46:12 PM

Stress the card and see if it actually runs "hot"
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 9, 2014 10:57:41 PM

I seriously doubt you will have any heat problems with that card. As long as it stays below 85c or so, it will be perfectly fine.
m
1
l
a c 170 U Graphics card
June 9, 2014 11:08:12 PM

1) Your CASE cooling also has a big impact. You should have at least one INTAKE fan and EXHAUST fan.

2) If need be you can also rig up a fan to blow air more directly on the graphics card, ideally a SIDE CASE fan if that's possible.
m
0
l
June 9, 2014 11:08:25 PM

Ok thanks for the word of wisdom everybody lol. This is my first build so I'm new and learning. I haven't gotten all my parts for this new rig yet so can't stress test just yet. Like I said I just saw some reviews with ppl saying that they were having trouble keeping it below 90 so I was looking into coolers just in case. Once I have the last of my parts and I can assemble I will post again to let you all know how it runs.
m
0
l
June 9, 2014 11:10:11 PM

Lol Tiny voices you are the best, man. I just realized you have posted helpful answers on most of my questions since I joined this site.
m
0
l
June 9, 2014 11:12:34 PM

photonboy said:
1) Your CASE cooling also has a big impact. You should have at least one INTAKE fan and EXHAUST fan.

2) If need be you can also rig up a fan to blow air more directly on the graphics card, ideally a SIDE CASE fan if that's possible.


This is the case I have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It has everything you just described so I'm hoping it'll be plenty
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 129 U Graphics card
June 9, 2014 11:18:03 PM

That case is super huge and way overkill for a build with a single 7870 in it. It will provide GREAT cooling.
Share
June 9, 2014 11:20:54 PM

tiny voices said:
That case is super huge and way overkill for a build with a single 7870 in it. It will provide GREAT cooling.


Well I plan on eventually acquiring another of the same card and crossfiring them. For now though I'm simply looking to finish the basics of the build

m
0
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 11, 2014 12:35:35 AM

A mid tower case has more than enough room for dual GPUs WAY more powerful than 7870s. Don't waste money on a huge case.
m
0
l
June 11, 2014 2:31:22 AM

tiny voices said:
A mid tower case has more than enough room for dual GPUs WAY more powerful than 7870s. Don't waste money on a huge case.


Hmm, I'll keep that in mind as I haven't bought the case yet. Though with the case I linked how much more powerful could I go if I decided to upgrade in the future. Just out of curiosity.

m
0
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
June 14, 2014 3:20:57 PM

You could build a computer with the most expensive parts out there. No limits really. But, I always recommend a mid-tower as they are standard and you can build a VERY high end computer in them. Generally only a $2000+ build actually needs/ can make use of a tower larger than a mid-tower.
m
0
l
June 14, 2014 5:38:31 PM

tiny voices said:
You could build a computer with the most expensive parts out there. No limits really. But, I always recommend a mid-tower as they are standard and you can build a VERY high end computer in them. Generally only a $2000+ build actually needs/ can make use of a tower larger than a mid-tower.


Ok, so I did some looking at mid towers. Overall finding one that still has equal or better cooling than the HAF 932 full is going to save me $50. However, thinking about how much room and more cooling the 932 has, it could be my case forever. Appreciate the help everybody, just gonna pay the extra $50 for the case of this and more builds.

Thank you :) 
m
0
l
!