Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My computer has internet connection but I cannot access the internet.

Last response: in Networking
Share
June 10, 2014 6:52:52 AM

My problem:
So my computer says that it is connected to:

NETWORK 3
Access: Local and Internet

But I CANNOT BROWSE The internet. I have tried using Google Chrome and Mozilla and neither work (I don't have Explorer installed).

This problem started last night after downloading some programs. I had AVG installed and it told me that a program on my computer had a threat (something like that). It then asked for my permission to remove these threats, and of course I let it do what it had to do to. After these threats were "removed" AVG said that my computer had to be restarted in order for the threats to be permanently removed and again I let it do what it had to do. NOW HERE COMES MY HEADACHE.... After this stupid restart, I have not been able to access the internet, like AT ALL.
I have tried the most obvious things ( turn off my router, modem, computer, disconnect the Ethernet cable). I am soooo frustrated!!!!

Can someone please help.

Btw I have a DELL running on windows vista.
June 10, 2014 7:19:10 AM

can you PING the router?

can you PING 206.13.29.12?

can you PING www.yahoo.com?
m
0
l
June 10, 2014 8:49:04 AM

Emerald said:
can you PING the router?

can you PING 206.13.29.12?

can you PING www.yahoo.com?



I was able to fix my problem. Thanks for responding though.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 10, 2014 8:50:59 AM

As Emerald said, make sure you can ping your router (usually going to be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1), & ping a website or 2(www.yahoo.com, www. cnn.com, etc.). If you can ping the websites, that means a program (in this case, probably AVG) is blocking the browsers from working... in which case, uninstall AVG.

If you can't ping the websites, then start up in "Safe Mode with Networking". This will prevent most startup programs (including AVG) from running, & should allow you to access the Internet. If you can connect, then again it sounds like AVG is screwing up for whatever reason, & you'll need to uninstall it.

If that doesn't work... run System Restore, & use the "wayback machine" to go back to before AVG's "adjustment" to your system. Then, before letting AVG delete anything search the filename in question.

If that doesn't work... back up your photos, music, & other personal files, wipe the hard drive & perform a clean reinstall.
Share
June 10, 2014 8:54:35 AM

spdragoo said:
As Emerald said, make sure you can ping your router (usually going to be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1), & ping a website or 2(www.yahoo.com, www. cnn.com, etc.). If you can ping the websites, that means a program (in this case, probably AVG) is blocking the browsers from working... in which case, uninstall AVG.

If you can't ping the websites, then start up in "Safe Mode with Networking". This will prevent most startup programs (including AVG) from running, & should allow you to access the Internet. If you can connect, then again it sounds like AVG is screwing up for whatever reason, & you'll need to uninstall it.

If that doesn't work... run System Restore, & use the "wayback machine" to go back to before AVG's "adjustment" to your system. Then, before letting AVG delete anything search the filename in question.

If that doesn't work... back up your photos, music, & other personal files, wipe the hard drive & perform a clean reinstall.


This is exactly what I did. Safe mode didn't work nor did Uninstalling AVG.
I ran the System Restore to a couple of days ago when my computer had no problems, and it fixed the problem.
m
0
l
July 17, 2014 7:59:06 AM

Vannyld said:
Emerald said:
can you PING the router?

can you PING 206.13.29.12?

can you PING www.yahoo.com?



I was able to fix my problem. Thanks for responding though.


How did you fix it? I have the same exact problem with the same program and the same computer.
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 5:26:58 PM

Michelle87 said:
Vannyld said:
Emerald said:
can you PING the router?

can you PING 206.13.29.12?

can you PING www.yahoo.com?



I was able to fix my problem. Thanks for responding though.


How did you fix it? I have the same exact problem with the same program and the same computer.


Okay so here are the steps I took:

Press the "Start".
Go to control "Panel".
Then click on "System and Maintenance".
Then Click on "Back Up and Restore"
Then click "Restore files from back up" (Click "Restore files")
A new window should open asking "What do you want to restore?" ( It might say that there are no back ups, ignore this and choose
to click on one of the other options, you will click on "repair windows (system restore)".
Another window will open "choose a different restore point".
Check the box that says "show restore points older than 5 days".....
Now I recommend that you choose at least a week or two ago, where you know that your computer was working correctly. be advised that anything saved between that point will no longer be stored on your computer.
Good Luck.
Let me know if it worked.




m
0
l
!