256-bit bus help

HardcoreGamer1

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I'm planning on either getting the gtx 760 or gtx 770 model from gigabyte. I saw on the website that they had a 256-bit bus. I looked on some forums and saw that some people said that a 256-bit bus couldn't use 4 gb of ram. Can someone just say yes, a 256-bit bus can use 4 gb of ram or no, a 256-bit bus can not use 4 gb of ram.

Also is a 700 watt power supply good for my pc build including this graphics card?
I have 3 fans (I'm planning on getting more)
cpu: i7 4770k
harddrive: 1 tb
motherboard: z87 pro (will this work with them?)

Solution
Neither will be able to make use of 4GB on its own, they don't have the processing power to need it. The larger VRAM cards are useful for SLI/CF configurations since each card stores the same stuff in its VRAM so SLI/CF gives you an increase in computational power, but not an increase in VRAM, often times the extra power is used for higher AA levels which require a lot of memory.

The GTX770 has a memory bandwidth of 224 GB/s, it can transfer all 4GB of memory in 18 ms so the memory bus isn't the limiting factor, its the GPUs ability to create stuff to put on that ram that is your issue.

HardcoreGamer1

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

You're talking about ram. I'm talking about Vram. I'm asking whether I should get 2 gb or 4 gb of Vram. I have 16 gb of ram.

Neither will be able to make use of 4GB on its own, they don't have the processing power to need it. The larger VRAM cards are useful for SLI/CF configurations since each card stores the same stuff in its VRAM so SLI/CF gives you an increase in computational power, but not an increase in VRAM, often times the extra power is used for higher AA levels which require a lot of memory.

The GTX770 has a memory bandwidth of 224 GB/s, it can transfer all 4GB of memory in 18 ms so the memory bus isn't the limiting factor, its the GPUs ability to create stuff to put on that ram that is your issue.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS