i7 4770 reaching 83C at max

kirbyz25

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
I didn't overclock it because its a non k but whenever I play games like BF3, I am getting 73 - 78C and when rendering I am getting 83C at max. I am using the stock cooler. Do I need to worry on this temps? Will my CPU shorten its lifespan if I am getting 70C above continuously?

Yes you need to worry.

Clean out and remove the cooler. Clean off the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol. Put on a peas size drop of Arctic Circle paste then re-assemble.

If that doesn't help then -

Post your build

Download and run HWInfo - Sensoprs and post the results - 3 screenshots in TinyPic or similar.

vortical

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Though 83c will not put you in any immediate danger, continual temps near the maximum operating temperature (90c) are sure to shorten your CPUs lifespan. Even, for a stock cpu the temps are unreasonable, if you haven't already spray any dust out of the heatsink, and if this doe not decrease your load temps down at least into the 60's you may need to remove,clean, repaste and reapply your heatsink.

vortical

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

With a 4770, (ie the non overclockable one) you are fine with the stock heatsink since they perform adequately at dissipating heat when running at stock clocks, though if you felt like investing in an aftermarket cooler you would get even better performance and less noise. it just depends how much a few degrees and 10 dB or so is worth to you .

kirbyz25

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013

Ok, maybe I should invest in an aftermarket cooler. By the way, my case is Corsair 350D, I have one intake fan but when I tried to put two intake fans on the front, the temps gets lower than before.

vortical

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
You should always try and even out you case flow , ie if you have one intake (usually front/bottom ) you should have one exhaust (top or back) to maximize airflow and minimize dust intake to your pc.

if you are looking for an after market cooler, my recommendation would be http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
as it is the best price/performance available (likely the second best air cooler, but the best cost ~80)

Solution

kirbyz25

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013

I would go with Noctua NH U12S for its ram compatibility.

vortical

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Go with whichever makes you happy as long as it fits.