FX 8350 Hertz Fluctuating/ PC Freezing

DynamicUnreal

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I have an FX 8350 CPU and recently I have noticed while watching YouTube videos that there were frame skips and sometimes downright freezing. I checked the flash player to see if it was up to date and it was. I immediately went into the task manager and noticed that the CPU was fluctuating Gigahertz (from 3.7 to 1.4 then up to 3.9) while remembering that it used to be pretty stable at around 3.96 to 4.0 Gigahertz. My question is, is my memory deceiving me? Is this fluctuation normal? My PC never froze while doing anything before and much less watching YouTube videos. I contacted customer support at AMD and the guy told me "test the CPU at all local computer store" which wasn't much help at all.

Just in case... I have a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard.

Solution
Certain recent Flash updates have been buggy and unstable. They can also mess with your GPU and crash games.

Try right-clicking on the YouTube video to pull up the Flash options and DISABLE hardware accelleration. See if that helps.

CPU speed fluctuation is normal with Cool & Quiet and C6 enabled. This is by design on both AMD and Intel CPUs to keep power consumption and head generation to a minimum.
Certain recent Flash updates have been buggy and unstable. They can also mess with your GPU and crash games.

Try right-clicking on the YouTube video to pull up the Flash options and DISABLE hardware accelleration. See if that helps.

CPU speed fluctuation is normal with Cool & Quiet and C6 enabled. This is by design on both AMD and Intel CPUs to keep power consumption and head generation to a minimum.

Solution

DynamicUnreal

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for your response. I have noticed that the Cool N Quiet option is enabled but I don't know what C6 is exactly (this is my first PC build and I'm still a noob at this sort of thing). What is C6 and where can I find it?