Solved

Overclocking my i5-4670k? What voltages and temps are safe?

Hello all, as stated above, I'm looking to overclock my Intel i5-4670K. My specs include the following:

i5-4670k
AsRock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysenthetic Silver
G. Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD
250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Corsair 600W ATX12V PSU
ASUS Direct CUII GTX 660
Rosewill Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower Case
Windows 8.1

What temperatures/voltages are safe for my CPU? I'm running Prime95, and after 45 minutes my temps are right around 60, and it maxed at 68. Any and all help/suggestions would be appreciated!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking 4670k voltages temps safe
  1. CrucialMove said:
    Hello all, as stated above, I'm looking to overclock my Intel i5-4670K. My specs include the following:

    i5-4670k
    AsRock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysenthetic Silver
    G. Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
    1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD
    250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
    Corsair 600W ATX12V PSU
    ASUS Direct CUII GTX 660
    Rosewill Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower Case
    Windows 8.1

    What temperatures/voltages are safe for my CPU? I'm running Prime95, and after 45 minutes my temps are right around 60, and it maxed at 68. Any and all help/suggestions would be appreciated!


    Those temperatures are more than fine, the max thermal limit on the 4670k is 90c, you should NEVER reach that point. So really you can feel comfortable as long as prime or Intel burn test dont spend a lot of time in the 80's
  2. vortical said:
    CrucialMove said:
    Hello all, as stated above, I'm looking to overclock my Intel i5-4670K. My specs include the following:

    i5-4670k
    AsRock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysenthetic Silver
    G. Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
    1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD
    250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
    Corsair 600W ATX12V PSU
    ASUS Direct CUII GTX 660
    Rosewill Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower Case
    Windows 8.1

    What temperatures/voltages are safe for my CPU? I'm running Prime95, and after 45 minutes my temps are right around 60, and it maxed at 68. Any and all help/suggestions would be appreciated!


    Those temperatures are more than fine, the max thermal limit on the 4670k is 90c, you should NEVER reach that point. So really you can feel comfortable as long as prime or Intel burn test dont spend a lot of time in the 80's


    Alright, thanks. What voltage and speed do you think I should go for? From looking around it seems 4.4GHz at 1.250 volts is the starting point, but that seems high to me
  3. Also, forgot to add my idle is 28 degrees
  4. When talking about starting an OC, many people go for 4.2 to start out with, as that is a number almost anybody can achieve while being high enough to make a noticeable difference. Honestly when air cooling I wouldnt go above 4.4 or 1.25 V mark since thermals will almost limit you there if not sooner. If you dont already have one, adding a second fan to your evo will help thermally as well for fairly low cost.
  5. CrucialMove said:
    Also, forgot to add my idle is 28 degrees


    that is also a perfectly reasonable temp.
  6. vortical said:
    When talking about starting an OC, many people go for 4.2 to start out with, as that is a number almost anybody can achieve while being high enough to make a noticeable difference. Honestly when air cooling I wouldnt go above 4.4 or 1.25 V mark since thermals will likely limit you there. If you dont already have one, adding a second fan to your evo will help thermally as well for fairly low cost.


    Alright, thanks a lot. I was planning on getting a water cooler in the future, but don't have the money for it now, so I'll stick with 4.2GHz at 1.200 V for starting and tweak as necessary, increasing at 0.025 V increments. Does that sound about right?
  7. Best answer
    CrucialMove said:
    vortical said:
    When talking about starting an OC, many people go for 4.2 to start out with, as that is a number almost anybody can achieve while being high enough to make a noticeable difference. Honestly when air cooling I wouldnt go above 4.4 or 1.25 V mark since thermals will likely limit you there. If you dont already have one, adding a second fan to your evo will help thermally as well for fairly low cost.


    Alright, thanks a lot. I was planning on getting a water cooler in the future, but don't have the money for it now, so I'll stick with 4.2GHz at 1.200 V for starting and tweak as necessary, increasing at 0.025 V increments. Does that sound about right?


    you should use the lowest increments your board supports/that you have patience for (usually .005v) but yeah 4.2/1.2v and work slowly down in voltage until you get a crash. a stable OC should be able to run prime for atleast an Hr
  8. vortical said:
    CrucialMove said:
    vortical said:
    When talking about starting an OC, many people go for 4.2 to start out with, as that is a number almost anybody can achieve while being high enough to make a noticeable difference. Honestly when air cooling I wouldnt go above 4.4 or 1.25 V mark since thermals will likely limit you there. If you dont already have one, adding a second fan to your evo will help thermally as well for fairly low cost.


    Alright, thanks a lot. I was planning on getting a water cooler in the future, but don't have the money for it now, so I'll stick with 4.2GHz at 1.200 V for starting and tweak as necessary, increasing at 0.025 V increments. Does that sound about right?


    you should use the lowest increments your board supports/that you have patience for (usually .005v) but yeah 4.2/1.2v and work slowly down in voltage until you get a crash. a stable OC should be able to run prime for atleast an Hr


    Awesome, thanks a bunch, I'm going to get started right away.
  9. How high you can OC is primarily determined by your luck in getting a good chip.

    4670K will run very happily at up to 1.25v.
    What multiplier you can set at 1.25v is determined by the bin.
    Past 1.25v, heat rises exponentially, to the point where no amount of cooling does much good.

    I would test with occt.
    Set the voltage at 1.25 and gradually raise the multiplier until you reach instability. They back off a notch or two.
    Occt will track your temps and shut down the test at about 85c.

    The 4670K will downclock or even turn itself off if temperatures get dangerously high. That point is about 100c.

    If your stress test is successful, go with it.
    Under normal usage, you will never reach those dangerous temps.
  10. Good news, I'm stable at 4.2GHz and 1.125 volts. Thanks everyone for your help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Intel i5 Motherboards