Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Frequent Crashes in Windows 7 (Stuck at loading classpnp.sys)

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 12, 2014 12:32:12 AM

I have recently upgraded my system. Specs are

New Components:
Processor: AMD FX 6300
MB: Gigabyte 78LMT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance, Two 4GB modules 1600 MHz (MB supports upto 1333 MHz only)
SMPS: Corsair VS 550W

Old Components retained:
HDD: Seagate 5400, 160 GB(Primary i.e OS is installed here) 500GB Logical(Only Data)
Gfx: 1GB Nvidia GT240
SoundCard: Sound Blaster VX 5.1
DVD R/W

I was running XP + Fedora earlier and it was a Intel set up. There was no issues, I upgraded for better performance.

Currently I have Windows 7(x64) running only. It crashes a lot and everytime it get stucks at the WIndows logo. If i boot into Safe mode I can see that its stuck at Loading CLASSPNP.SYS. Some times system repair option will work but most of the times it wont and I have to reinstall OS.

If I give it time to boot (~30mins or more) some times it will boot up completely and I can see only my 160GB disk and 500GB disk will not be shown in Disk management or it will say that 500GB free space is there. But if I boot into pendrive linux both of my disks are still intact with all data. And If I reinstall only then I can see that other Drive.

Its driving me crazy I have ended up re installing OS almost 10 times in last month. I even replaced my 500W SMPS (3 years old) with 550W.

Best solution

June 12, 2014 5:24:05 AM

Srikanth VM said:
I have recently upgraded my system. Specs are

New Components:
Processor: AMD FX 6300
MB: Gigabyte 78LMT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance, Two 4GB modules 1600 MHz (MB supports upto 1333 MHz only)
SMPS: Corsair VS 550W

Old Components retained:
HDD: Seagate 5400, 160 GB(Primary i.e OS is installed here) 500GB Logical(Only Data)
Gfx: 1GB Nvidia GT240
SoundCard: Sound Blaster VX 5.1
DVD R/W

I was running XP + Fedora earlier and it was a Intel set up. There was no issues, I upgraded for better performance.

Currently I have Windows 7(x64) running only. It crashes a lot and everytime it get stucks at the WIndows logo. If i boot into Safe mode I can see that its stuck at Loading CLASSPNP.SYS. Some times system repair option will work but most of the times it wont and I have to reinstall OS.

If I give it time to boot (~30mins or more) some times it will boot up completely and I can see only my 160GB disk and 500GB disk will not be shown in Disk management or it will say that 500GB free space is there. But if I boot into pendrive linux both of my disks are still intact with all data. And If I reinstall only then I can see that other Drive.

Its driving me crazy I have ended up re installing OS almost 10 times in last month. I even replaced my 500W SMPS (3 years old) with 550W.


So if I'm understanding correctly since you built the AMD system it has never run properly with win7 (and xp+fedora was never tried here as that was OLD INTEL system only, so only win7 on the new build), and a pen drive boot is booting without windows being touched (thus resolving the win7 problems I guess) correct? If that is the case I'll go into bios settings after we get driver info answers below since your problem may be in there (mem timings and maybe sata/ahci set wrong etc).

The board also has onboard vga (radeon 3000) did you turn off the onboard vga in the bios or not? Not so important yet, just asking.

Also are these drives IDE or SATA? I see a connector on that board for IDE/Pata drives at newegg pics.

When you installed the OS, do you load the motherboard chipset drivers etc that came with it first? Chipset should always go in first, sata if needed (though you can do this at f6 also even better during OS install) then vid, sound, lan etc assuming they aren't already in as part of the mainboard's drivers. If you haven't loaded the board's chipset drivers for win7 you'll get all kinds of crap happening since the board can't talk to the OS so to speak.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard...
Chipset drivers for your win7 (32/64 both) system from this page:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Not using raid so AHCI driver is what you want for sata (though this may be inside the chipset driver anyway).
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard...
You can unpack with 7zip (I just looked inside) or just run it and it will unpack anyway. Just drop the exe in a folder called sata on root of your C and run it. Once it's unpacked you can run the MSI file probably (rightclick it choose install), or go into device manager and see where the sata controller is. I'm curious what it says in there right now anyway. If it says Microsoft as the driver creator you don't have the right sata drivers in. It should say AMD or something.

This probably isn't the issue, but just something to check at some point.
Have you tried seatools for dos on these two drives to see if they pass tests (I'd say use windows version but, you're not having much luck with that, though you can try)? If you have bad spots seagate can fix them sometimes.

I'll wait to add more until you post info or results of the drivers.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_g...
Page 32 could cause some screwy stuff if set wrong (native ide/sata settings here). Hence the are you running SATA or IDE question. I'll look further after your answers if needed. If you get the drivers all in (or already are), what does it show for the sata controllers names in device manager? Hopefully this all makes sense, it's 5am so if not just say so :)  I won't be offended. :) 
Share
June 12, 2014 6:42:52 AM

somebodyspecial said:
Srikanth VM said:
I have recently upgraded my system. Specs are

New Components:
Processor: AMD FX 6300
MB: Gigabyte 78LMT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance, Two 4GB modules 1600 MHz (MB supports upto 1333 MHz only)
SMPS: Corsair VS 550W

Old Components retained:
HDD: Seagate 5400, 160 GB(Primary i.e OS is installed here) 500GB Logical(Only Data)
Gfx: 1GB Nvidia GT240
SoundCard: Sound Blaster VX 5.1
DVD R/W

I was running XP + Fedora earlier and it was a Intel set up. There was no issues, I upgraded for better performance.

Currently I have Windows 7(x64) running only. It crashes a lot and everytime it get stucks at the WIndows logo. If i boot into Safe mode I can see that its stuck at Loading CLASSPNP.SYS. Some times system repair option will work but most of the times it wont and I have to reinstall OS.

If I give it time to boot (~30mins or more) some times it will boot up completely and I can see only my 160GB disk and 500GB disk will not be shown in Disk management or it will say that 500GB free space is there. But if I boot into pendrive linux both of my disks are still intact with all data. And If I reinstall only then I can see that other Drive.

Its driving me crazy I have ended up re installing OS almost 10 times in last month. I even replaced my 500W SMPS (3 years old) with 550W.


So if I'm understanding correctly since you built the AMD system it has never run properly with win7 (and xp+fedora was never tried here as that was OLD INTEL system only, so only win7 on the new build), and a pen drive boot is booting without windows being touched (thus resolving the win7 problems I guess) correct? If that is the case I'll go into bios settings after we get driver info answers below since your problem may be in there (mem timings and maybe sata/ahci set wrong etc).

The board also has onboard vga (radeon 3000) did you turn off the onboard vga in the bios or not? Not so important yet, just asking.

Also are these drives IDE or SATA? I see a connector on that board for IDE/Pata drives at newegg pics.

When you installed the OS, do you load the motherboard chipset drivers etc that came with it first? Chipset should always go in first, sata if needed (though you can do this at f6 also even better during OS install) then vid, sound, lan etc assuming they aren't already in as part of the mainboard's drivers. If you haven't loaded the board's chipset drivers for win7 you'll get all kinds of crap happening since the board can't talk to the OS so to speak.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard...
Chipset drivers for your win7 (32/64 both) system from this page:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Not using raid so AHCI driver is what you want for sata (though this may be inside the chipset driver anyway).
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard...
You can unpack with 7zip (I just looked inside) or just run it and it will unpack anyway. Just drop the exe in a folder called sata on root of your C and run it. Once it's unpacked you can run the MSI file probably (rightclick it choose install), or go into device manager and see where the sata controller is. I'm curious what it says in there right now anyway. If it says Microsoft as the driver creator you don't have the right sata drivers in. It should say AMD or something.

This probably isn't the issue, but just something to check at some point.
Have you tried seatools for dos on these two drives to see if they pass tests (I'd say use windows version but, you're not having much luck with that, though you can try)? If you have bad spots seagate can fix them sometimes.

I'll wait to add more until you post info or results of the drivers.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_g...
Page 32 could cause some screwy stuff if set wrong (native ide/sata settings here). Hence the are you running SATA or IDE question. I'll look further after your answers if needed. If you get the drivers all in (or already are), what does it show for the sata controllers names in device manager? Hopefully this all makes sense, it's 5am so if not just say so :)  I won't be offended. :) 


I have missed out installing Chipset Drivers ! I remember installing only LAN drivers.
Thanks for your inputs. I will double check the existing drivers and update. Thanks again for your inputs :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
June 12, 2014 7:59:11 AM

Srikanth VM said:
somebodyspecial said:
Srikanth VM said:
I have recently upgraded my system. Specs are

New Components:
Processor: AMD FX 6300
MB: Gigabyte 78LMT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance, Two 4GB modules 1600 MHz (MB supports upto 1333 MHz only)
SMPS: Corsair VS 550W

Old Components retained:
HDD: Seagate 5400, 160 GB(Primary i.e OS is installed here) 500GB Logical(Only Data)
Gfx: 1GB Nvidia GT240
SoundCard: Sound Blaster VX 5.1
DVD R/W

<SNIPPED>


<SNIPPED>

I'll wait to add more until you post info or results of the drivers.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_g...
Page 32 could cause some screwy stuff if set wrong (native ide/sata settings here). Hence the are you running SATA or IDE question. I'll look further after your answers if needed. If you get the drivers all in (or already are), what does it show for the sata controllers names in device manager? Hopefully this all makes sense, it's 5am so if not just say so :)  I won't be offended. :) 


I have missed out installing Chipset Drivers ! I remember installing only LAN drivers.
Thanks for your inputs. I will double check the existing drivers and update. Thanks again for your inputs :) 


Srikanth VM,
You're welcome, that definitely is a problem which will cause all kinds of issues. But you may still need to re-visit a few issues like the native/ahci setting etc. You'll also want the Etron usb 3.0 driver for your board, and Creative Audio driver too if you ONLY did the lan drivers all from the gigabyte download page I gave before.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
Comes in with drivers selected on dropdown 1, then choose win7 64bit from the 2nd dropdown and you'll see the etron in that list. Otherwise you have generic junk loaded from Microsoft's default stuff (or nothing at all, showing issues in device manager in that case without proper 3.0 support) and you want specific drivers for your hardware if they are out there.

Not sure if creative card or the onboard is better. 98 SNR on creative and you'd have to compare features etc but drivers can be found below at creative site, download link on the page.
http://asia.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-...
m
0
l
June 12, 2014 12:18:15 PM

Srikanth VM said:


I have missed out installing Chipset Drivers ! I remember installing only LAN drivers.
Thanks for your inputs. I will double check the existing drivers and update. Thanks again for your inputs :) 


http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-U...
Another comment I found on the classpnpsys problem which leads to a bad drive. User had a c and d drive (like you two drives) and had that issue until disabling them one at a time. Found it booted without the D.

"a late reply from me, but is migth be helpfull for people with the same problem as above. I got the classpnp problem but none of the solutions helped for me. A re-install was the only solution i could think of but even in a re-install the system hung during the installation. I begun to think what the problem could be and started to disconnect everything. At last i got to the harddrives and there was the problem, the cable was fine, but the d-drive (not the windows 7 drive) was not. After disconnecting it windows started and made me a very happy man.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:47 PM"

Might not be a problem after chipset drivers etc. Just a thought if you encounter it still. Seatools might be able to fix the bad one if there is one, or worst case you find out it's bad before plopping tons of data on it. If you get the error again I'd say disconnect the NON OS drive first. If you still get it maybe clone the OS to the other drive with a boot disc or something (lots of free stuff on cnet, tucows etc for simple cloning) and try with that one as the OS and the other disabled.

Seagate HD repair app. Gives all kinds of drive info also, not as much as I'd like but should be on any seagate users PC. WD has a tool also which has good info also on smart flags etc, been a while since I used it (only have 1 WD running currently in use).

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
You'd want the dos one if you can't use it in windows. Dos one is a burnable iso, so you can burn a cd with imgburn which is FREE. imgburn is the best free burner on the planet (heck maybe best burning app period, been using it for over a decade). There are seatools versions for dos/windows. Win version can repair some stuff, but dos version can repair more.
www.imgburn.com
just in case you need it, in tons of languages too ;) 

Edit: Adding if you're running IDE/EIDE, you can fix some problems switching from AHCI in the bios to native ide (the page in the manual I discussed before). Good luck :) 
m
1
l
June 13, 2014 12:19:43 AM

Yes even I cam accross posts which mentioned about failing disks and SMPS. Since my SMPS was old I replaced it, when it didnt solve I started looking at Softwares which could be the problem, since that 500GB disk is brand new and it works fine when I connect it to my another PC. If all else fails will switch back to faithful *Nix platforms

m
0
l
June 13, 2014 7:10:42 AM

Srikanth VM said:
Yes even I cam accross posts which mentioned about failing disks and SMPS. Since my SMPS was old I replaced it, when it didnt solve I started looking at Softwares which could be the problem, since that 500GB disk is brand new and it works fine when I connect it to my another PC. If all else fails will switch back to faithful *Nix platforms



I'm not going to bash other platforms here as I myself can't wait to get another great gaming OS choice and I'm on the IT treadmill LOL (cmon android/steamos, keep gaining ground guys!!! ROFL). Having said that, please post if you're still having issues after chipset/all drivers loaded if you still want more help. Since no apps/data etc is invested in the windows OS (I don't think, might be wrong here, 10x in a month I wouldn't be investing much in case of blowing away again at that point and I'd have an image to spam it back quickly by now), you may just want a fresh install with chipset drivers coming first this time followed by the rest. Sometimes it takes longer to troubleshoot an issue after a simple mistake even (compounded by all the troubleshooting of drivers etc), than to just start fresh if there's nothing you're losing but a 1/2 hour of time here. But you've already installed so many times you may be sick of it and that is understandable :) 

I might install my fav OS on the 160, disconnect it then install win on 500 alone. I do this myself to keep them from messing with each other. I have xp64/32 and win7 all on drives installed alone. I easily switch at boot and dislike OS managers. But I admit I live in win7 64 these days even though xp64 pro is STILL rock solid and unlike most people think, has up to date drivers for chipsets, both AMD/NV, most nics, my audigy sound card, even my wireless edimax card etc. When not available I've even used server 2003 drivers on some machines with no issues. I could go weeks or even a month without a restart on xp64 and then usually only on patch Tuesdays...LOL. That OS is great.

You could always load xp on one drive just to see if it works fine (gaming some on xp32 or 64 is a good test for new cpu/mboard/psu anyway if win7 not working out), and win7 on the other after (or *nix on this one so you can go both old ways). There is no harm in xp and you can trick it into getting patches anyway. This isn't a security risk even without patches being updated if you have a router, and up to date AV/IS suite with threatfire loaded (all people should have threatfire on top). China knows this despite what some in these forums would tell you. I tested the theory myself on a "dangerous" box for 2yrs with ZERO xp updates and was doing crazy crap all the time just to trash the box. I used comodo Internet security with threatfire on top. Still do the same in win7 (well not the totally foolish usage, just the IS/threatfire combo I mean). You can't really give up windows games yet can ya? :)  I wish but it isn't easy for me. Maybe in a few more years when steamos/android give me enough fun I can pull that. But I'll likely have a dual/tri-boot for ages with a win copy in there for gaming even when I go steamos or linux on a drive. Maybe I just like more options than most ;)  Just some thoughts for you to ponder I guess if chipset drivers etc don't solve it still.
m
0
l
!