Will my 650 watt psu be able to power all this?

Chrisrexmandie

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I have a intel i7 4770k and a xfx radeon hd 7770 ghz edition and I want to know if I buy another of the same gpu if I could power them and the rest of my rig with the 650 watt psu?

InvalidError

Titan

In principle, even a 300W PSU worthy of actually being called a 300W PSU (a "quality" PSU) should be able to handle that fine but mediocrity is such a widespread "standard" for PSUs that recommending grossly over-rated PSUs became standard to "compensate," which is only making things even worse with generic PSU vendors/manufacturers inflating their sticker ratings accordingly; rinse and repeat. At this rate, someday people will recommend at least 1000W PSUs to run a 100W rig.

If people sued the pants off vendors selling 250W PSUs that cannot reliably deliver 250W under reasonable operating circumstances instead of quietly "upgrading" to cheaper, lower-quality 300-600W units as a "repair," things would not have gotten as ridiculously out of hands as they currently are but unfortunately, most people do not have the knowledge and tools to find out they are getting screwed big-time by sub-par PSUs.

Reasonable quality should be standard. Unfortunately with the tons of generic Chinese and other PSUs, it often is not. Considering how misleading labels on some of those units are, I am surprised they have not been banned from trade.

Many of these units are also older designs that are more heavy on the 3.3/5 volt rails.

These units are perfectly suited to the older systems that power more hardware off these rails.

As power requirements went up, the 12 volt rail quickly became the goto rail because it offers more power over the same size wire(300 watts @ 3.3 volts would be 90 amps after all vs 25 @ 12). switching regulators are efficient enough to now have to worry about too much loss even with 12 volts incoming.

The real problem is some of these "XXX" watt units can put out XXX watts, but users seem to think that wattage is the only factor and now how that wattage is distributed.

This is not to say they have not sold lots of generic crap that just failed even deliver less than its sticker value.