2400 mhz memeory running at only 1600 mhz speed

Iwmyk

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Hello!

I just discovered my newly built pc with 2400 mhz kingston beast memory, runs at 1600 ram speed :/

Why? Seem like they where set to that at the factory?

I have a 4770k processor and a z97 mobo from gigabyte ( GA-Z97X-SLI ) that supports 2400 mhz..

How do I change this in BIOS? I was just checking bios and all I see is a multiplier for ram speed?

Also do I need to change voltage somewhere or should a 2400 mhz memory not need more voltage to run at that speed? Or does a new mobo auto tune this? Got no experience with this stuff :/

Solution
Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer some clarification. All HyperX memory is meant for overclocking as such by default the memory is set to a standard JEDEC specification so when inserted the memory will be stable. Then by selecting the XMP profile or setting the DRAM timings and voltage the memory can be overclocked to the advertised speed. The only exception to this would be our Plug n Play HyperX modules. All HyperX memory is tested to properly work at advertised specifications, stability can vary depending on the system it is installed. Usually not an issue when the motherboard and CPU support overclocking. For any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F...

Iwmyk

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
well found a setting in bios called "extreme memory profile " that sets volt to 1.65 and mem speed to 2400 gonna try that, just seem strange that i need OC settings to get speeds advertised on the box..

kingstonhq

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer some clarification. All HyperX memory is meant for overclocking as such by default the memory is set to a standard JEDEC specification so when inserted the memory will be stable. Then by selecting the XMP profile or setting the DRAM timings and voltage the memory can be overclocked to the advertised speed. The only exception to this would be our Plug n Play HyperX modules. All HyperX memory is tested to properly work at advertised specifications, stability can vary depending on the system it is installed. Usually not an issue when the motherboard and CPU support overclocking. For any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you.

Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.

Solution