Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

No DVI/HDMI output from GTX 660, fairly sure it isn't the card, though.

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 12, 2014 11:42:16 AM

Hi everyone,

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/93rcRB

I have had this build running smoothly for about two weeks now, up until a couple days ago (Tuesday). I decided to add the Western Digital 500GB HD, AFTER the build was complete, and it seems to have thrown something off.

When I initially installed the new hard drive, I was getting no signal from my video card in either the HDMI or DVI outputs. Keep in mind that the GTX660 came from a previous computer in which it worked flawlessly. I was thinking at first that my power supply may not be able to handle all the load, but PCPartPicker is telling me that my estimated wattage is only around 340W, so I can't imagine that's the problem.

I really have no clue what I did to resolve this, but after an hour or so of plugging things in and out it decided to start working again (the signal from my GPU, that is).
The next day (Wednesday), I used my PC for at least 10 hours straight (I work from home) with 0 issues.

So now, today (Thursday), I boot up my PC and everything seems to be going just fine, and I'm thinking it's finally all settled. While working I try to jump on to WildStar just to check my mail, etc., and my PC completely crashes (screen freeze). Try to reboot and again, there is no signal coming from my GPU.

So, again, I sat here for about an hour plugging things in and out, and now it's working again. Ugh. BIOS are updated, most recent video drivers are installed, and I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what the problem might be.

I have now had 3-4 instances where when I try to boot it's like the motherboard is not even detecting the GPU, and there is no HDMI or DVI output. When I use the on-board video and go into CPUID, device manager, etc., it doesn't recognize the GPU whatsoever, and if I try to install drivers it acts like the card isn't even connected (despite it being powered on/fan running).
My only thought is it might be a seating problem since the only fix I can ever come up with is randomly plugging things in and out, but who knows.

I also ran some stress tests using AIDA64 (can post screenshots if it would make a difference) and everything went smoothly, I think, and nothing seemed to be reaching excessively high temperatures.

Hopefully this is enough information for someone to be able to begin to try and understand what the problem might be, but if there's any more information I can provide I would be happy to. The PC is currently running fine again but I no longer trust it, and am afraid to put any stress on my GPU.


Thank you in advance!

Best solution

June 12, 2014 12:14:12 PM

I would suggest trying a different PCIe slot and seeing if that changes anything (if you haven't tried already).

Share
June 12, 2014 12:21:59 PM

xdarkzerox said:
I would suggest trying a different PCIe slot and seeing if that changes anything (if you haven't tried already).



I think I will give that a shot because I feel that if anything, it is some kind of seating/wiring problem. The modular cables that came with this power supply feel way too loose when they're in the sockets and I'm going to try switching those out as well. I actually just re-seated everything and made sure that everything was plugged in tight, and everything is functional, so now it's just a waiting game to see if it happens again or not. I'm just relieved to hear that it doesn't seem to be anything major. Thank you for your time and input.
m
0
l
June 12, 2014 12:37:41 PM

Hopefully it works out, I've had weird issues with PCIe slots in the past. Depending on the configuration of the motherboard you might not be running in the optimal "gaming" slot (which bandwidth shows as minimal, but you could be a perfectionist). Worst case scenario, if you find that the slot is picky, you could RMA the motherboard.
m
0
l
June 12, 2014 12:54:05 PM

xdarkzerox said:
Hopefully it works out, I've had weird issues with PCIe slots in the past. Depending on the configuration of the motherboard you might not be running in the optimal "gaming" slot (which bandwidth shows as minimal, but you could be a perfectionist). Worst case scenario, if you find that the slot is picky, you could RMA the motherboard.


Hmm, I didn't realize there was such thing as one PCIe being more appropriate for gaming than the other. Is there any way to determine this, maybe in the BIOS or something? Would I want to try and determine which slot has more/less bandwidth, somehow? From what I'm finding in the instruction manual/online, nothing indicates that either slot is more appropriate than the other, but I could see that being a possibility now that you mention it. Thanks again for your response!
m
0
l
June 12, 2014 6:41:38 PM

welsinc said:
Hmm, I didn't realize there was such thing as one PCIe being more appropriate for gaming than the other. Is there any way to determine this, maybe in the BIOS or something? Would I want to try and determine which slot has more/less bandwidth, somehow? From what I'm finding in the instruction manual/online, nothing indicates that either slot is more appropriate than the other, but I could see that being a possibility now that you mention it. Thanks again for your response!


Looking at your motherboard (MSI H87-G43), it identifies the following PCIe slots:

1x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot
1x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot
-Supports up to PCIe 2.0 x4 speed.
2x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots
3x PCI slots

There are some bandwidth implications between the broken slot (assuming its PCIe 3.0 x16) vs the other PCIe x16 slot (PCIe 2.0 x16 running @ x4). Here's an older graph that might be helpful:



Using this as a guideline, you can estimate how much of a performance impact you might expect if you are using the PCIe 2.0 x16/x4 slot instead of the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot.

EDIT: additional info can be found in your manual-- reference page 1-4, 1-7 & 1-18.
m
0
l
!