Solved

What should i upgrade on the Dell XPS Desktop (X8700-631BLK) for it to run next gen?

My friend has a discount for all dell PCs, so instead of paying 600 he is paying around 300. What part should he upgrade to run next gen medium-high around 60 fps? I was thinking the only necessary part to replace is the graphics card
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade dell xps desktop x8700 631blk run gen
  1. I forgot...Please specify what he should upgrade to....Thank you!
  2. Best answer
    Yeah the CPU and RAM are sufficient but you would need to upgrade the GPU. I would recommend the GTX 760 or 770 depending on how much you want to pay. Or an ATI card around $250 to $400. If you really want to game at 60 fps on high settings for most modern games you'd need a GPU around that price range for sure.
  3. You will probably need a new power supply also, does he have a budget in mind or some graphics quality he is aiming for?

    For playing almost every game at Ultra settings:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($299.40 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $359.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:00 EDT-0400

    For playing Some at Ultra the rest at high settings:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $269.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:01 EDT-0400

    For playing at medium to high:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $119.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:02 EDT-0400

    The PSU in the XPS 8700 should be enough to use the gtx 750 ti without replacing it.

    Edit: the gt 635 that comes with the system would probably play games at low or medium settings.
  4. numanator said:
    You will probably need a new power supply also, does he have a budget in mind or some graphics quality he is aiming for?

    For playing almost every game at Ultra settings:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($299.40 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $359.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:00 EDT-0400

    For playing Some at Ultra the rest at high settings:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $269.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:01 EDT-0400

    For playing at medium to high:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $119.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:02 EDT-0400

    The PSU in the XPS 8700 should be enough to use the gtx 750 ti without replacing it.

    Edit: the gt 635 that comes with the system would probably play games at low or medium settings.


    I think that the GTX 770 would actually allow you to play most games on Ultra and only some on high as opposed to what PCPartPicker says.
  5. Sorry, now that I look at it the format is a bit confusing, the explanation for each build is above it not below. so for the 770 build I said "For playing almost every game at Ultra settings:"
  6. Akhilcool said:
    Yeah the CPU and RAM are sufficient but you would need to upgrade the GPU. I would recommend the GTX 760 or 770 depending on how much you want to pay. Or an ATI card around $250 to $400. If you really want to game at 60 fps on high settings for most modern games you'd need a GPU around that price range for sure.


    thank you! Is their anything else you recommend?
  7. I'm not sure what power supply the computer has but if it is less than 500 watts, I would upgrade that as well. Anything above or equal to 500 watts will do fine. I believe 550 watts is ideal for a GTX 770 but you could probably even get away with a 450 or 500 watt PSU.
  8. Akhilcool said:
    numanator said:
    You will probably need a new power supply also, does he have a budget in mind or some graphics quality he is aiming for?

    For playing almost every game at Ultra settings:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($299.40 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $359.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:00 EDT-0400

    For playing Some at Ultra the rest at high settings:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $269.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:01 EDT-0400

    For playing at medium to high:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $119.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:02 EDT-0400

    The PSU in the XPS 8700 should be enough to use the gtx 750 ti without replacing it.

    Edit: the gt 635 that comes with the system would probably play games at low or medium settings.


    I think that the GTX 770 would actually allow you to play most games on Ultra and only some on high as opposed to what PCPartPicker says.


    Are you serious? I play alot of modern games on full ultra settings @1080p on my 660 just fine (Far cry 3, Crysis 3, Metro LL just to name a few). A 770 gives you 70+fps on full ultra on basically every game out and soon to come.
  9. harryguymt said:
    My friend has a discount for all dell PCs, so instead of paying 600 he is paying around 300. What part should he upgrade to run next gen medium-high around 60 fps? I was thinking the only necessary part to replace is the graphics card


    Hey did you upgrade? I looking to do the same and I want to know what work for you?
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Dell Studio Xps Desktops Next Generation