Solved

What frame rate to shoot for?

Hey guys,

I am looking to make a purchasing decision on a new GPU and I want to know what frame rate I should try to establish. I currently have a 1080p 60Hz monitor with an HD6870 and play new AAA games like Watch Dogs. Should I be shooting for 60 fps, maybe half of that, what is your take?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about frame rate shoot
  1. Best answer
    60 FPS for a 60Hz monitor. Adjust detail settings accordingly, but be aware that sometimes you will have dips below that. I'm perfectly fine with 50-55FPS but if it drops below that I start turning down things, starting with anti-aliasing.
  2. I usually start with 60 frames, and I try and keep it around there. For extremely demanding games, such as Watch Dogs I would consider a complete minimum of a stable 45, and I would do whatever and try to keep it anywhere higher from that.

    But my complete limit would be the lowest of low settings, I'm not a fan of turning down resolution.
  3. fr0stdude said:
    Alright so bottom line I should be matching the refresh rates with the framerate? 120Hz = 120 FPS, 60Hz = 60 FPS


    That's the goal. 120Hz/120FPS is extremely hard to do.
  4. Alright so bottom line I should be matching the refresh rates with the framerate? 120Hz = 120 FPS, 60Hz = 60 FPS
  5. damric said:
    fr0stdude said:
    Alright so bottom line I should be matching the refresh rates with the framerate? 120Hz = 120 FPS, 60Hz = 60 FPS


    That's the goal. 120Hz/120FPS is extremely hard to do.



    Awesome thanks for the help!
  6. fr0stdude said:
    Alright so bottom line I should be matching the refresh rates with the framerate? 120Hz = 120 FPS, 60Hz = 60 FPS


    FPS = Frames per Second.

    Hz = Refresh Cycles per Second.

    Easy to remember.
  7. I personally prefer to play the game at a minimum 30 fps, depending on the game up to 60 fps. I have a 60 hz tv that I use for a monitor and my system can handle whatever right now. I like to see how the little particles and PhysX, and am willing to take a hit to a degree on fps to keep the pretty stuff, but not less than 30 fps. Honestly I don't know of any game that I have come remotely close to 30fps on though, luckily.
  8. Yeah below 30FPS is when most people really notice. Hard to imagine but some old games like Diablo II were capped at 25FPS :D
  9. So what is the point at keeping it on 60 if you won't notice the difference between 30 and 60 ;P
  10. fr0stdude said:
    So what is the point at keeping it on 60 if you won't notice the difference between 30 and 60 ;P


    I notice. Also my rig so uber that I have no minimum FPS, ONLY MAXIMUM FPS :P
  11. fr0stdude said:
    So what is the point at keeping it on 60 if you won't notice the difference between 30 and 60 ;P


    It depends on the person. Some can see the difference, other can't. Same as some can tell a difference between 720p and 1080p, and others can't.
  12. Hmm I guess I will have to try it out and see for myself in that case (:
  13. fr0stdude said:
    Hmm I guess I will have to try it out and see for myself in that case (:


    Really that's what you need to do. You want the most detail settings but with an FPS comfortable for you, and only you can judge that.
  14. damric said:
    fr0stdude said:
    Hmm I guess I will have to try it out and see for myself in that case (:


    Really that's what you need to do. You want the most detail settings but with an FPS comfortable for you, and only you can judge that.



    Definitely agree. I would suggest trying various setting in whatever games you are playing, changing AA, particles, etc to see if you can tell a difference while also keeping an eye on the fps. That way you can hit the sweet spot for you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Geforce Graphics Framerate AMD Games FPS Nvidia GPUs Radeon