R9 290 Black screen issue. Possibly due to adobe flash?

Sphexx

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Hey folks, so recently I built a new rig and I seem to be having black screen quite frequently. I know many people have had complained about having black screens with 290 and 290x. However, I don't think it's hardware related as my PSU is suitable for this card and plays games just fine as I've never had a black screen occur while playing them. The only time this occurs is when I'm browsing the web and occurs specifically when I play a youtube video or if anything that requires flash is running. Is there any possible way to fix this? I disabled video acceleration and rebooted my pc but it still occurs. Could it also be the drivers that are causing the problem, since AMD is known to have issues with their drivers? Here are specs:

i5 4670k
MSI|Z97-G45 GAMING ATX R
Sapphire Vapor-X 4 GB R9 290
8 GB RAM (One 4 GB 1600 mhz and two 2 GB 1300 mhz)
PSU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171089&cm_re=cooler_master_power_supply-_-17-171-089-_-Product

Solution

Hey, I never manged to find a solution to the problem so I decided to RMA the card and got a refund for it in newegg credits. The problem could lie on AMD's side or really is a browser issue like yoplait95 mentioned. Try running a different browser like Safari. If not, I think the best thing to do would be to return the card and just buy a gtx 970 since it's the best bang for the buck right now.

Haplo_1

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same issues with flash videos on firefox going black when hardware acceleration is turned on. I have the latest drivers. I'm running a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Heh, wow I'm not alone with 290 mem problems..... Although the more likely cause is the browser you are using.. the browser developers are kind of in an arms race to see who can be fastest.. all the while breaking compatibility.

-LiveBacteria

Sphexx

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Hey, I never manged to find a solution to the problem so I decided to RMA the card and got a refund for it in newegg credits. The problem could lie on AMD's side or really is a browser issue like yoplait95 mentioned. Try running a different browser like Safari. If not, I think the best thing to do would be to return the card and just buy a gtx 970 since it's the best bang for the buck right now.

Solution

Haplo_1

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I found a solution that seems to be working. I'll update this post if it stops working again.

I went to power settings -> Advance power settings:

Under PCI Express -> Link state power management: I set it to off. It was on moderate.

Under Hard Disk - > Turn off hard drisk after: I set it to 120. It was 20.