Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

HDMI 1.4b cable for 1.4a GPU possible ? AMD HD3D frame packing 30fps with 1.4a to Passive 3DTV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 13, 2014 11:02:45 AM

Hi I can play games or watch videos with 1080p60hz top bottom or side by side but when I change the monitoring type to AMD HD3D, It can only show 1080p30fps and It seems very slow to eyes 3d quality is better though. Can I manage it with 1.4b high speed cable ? I dont believe that they say 1.4 and 1.3 is for marketing, because I try sidebyside and over under with 1.3 highspeed, I could only get 1080p24hz, so what about 1.4b, If 1.4b works for hd3d 1080p60hz, Can I plug into my 1.4a GPU to recieve its full benefits ?

GPU: Sapphire DUAL-X OC R9 280x @stock boost.
3DTV: LG 47" LA 740S
a b À AMD
June 13, 2014 11:07:35 AM

For HDMI 1.4b to work, both your GPU and TV must support it. If not, you will not get 1080p@60hz in HD3D. You can drop the resolution to 720 and get 60hz in HD3D, assuming it supports HDMI 1.4a, but obviously it won't look as nice, but at least will will run smooth.
m
1
l
June 13, 2014 11:16:11 AM

bystander said:
For HDMI 1.4b to work, both your GPU and TV must support it. If not, you will not get 1080p@60hz in HD3D. You can drop the resolution to 720 and get 60hz in HD3D, assuming it supports HDMI 1.4a, but obviously it won't look as nice, but at least will will run smooth.


Thank you for your respond, in some games there is no fps loss when I eneable sbs/ou 1080p60hz but some other games like Metro2033 and Hitman absolution, fps is max 15, even though I dont eneable AA or VSYNC, Is that because their engine ? Or my gpu renders the games two times so It is not strong enought to handle them ? I don't remember If I tried these games at 720p
m
0
l
a b x TV
a b À AMD
June 13, 2014 11:18:33 AM

Newer games that are very hard on the gpu will do this.

Think about rendering 3840 x 1080(or more accurately 1920 x 2160). That is half way to 4k.

You should be able to adjust some settings like ambient occlusion and may be shadows with a bit of a texture drop to get the frame rates up.
m
1
l
a b À AMD
June 13, 2014 11:21:37 AM

Vulmaro said:
bystander said:
For HDMI 1.4b to work, both your GPU and TV must support it. If not, you will not get 1080p@60hz in HD3D. You can drop the resolution to 720 and get 60hz in HD3D, assuming it supports HDMI 1.4a, but obviously it won't look as nice, but at least will will run smooth.


Thank you for your respond, in some games there is no fps loss when I eneable sbs/ou 1080p60hz but some other games like Metro2033 and Hitman absolution, fps is max 15, even though I dont eneable AA or VSYNC, Is that because their engine ? Or my gpu renders the games two times so It is not strong enought to handle them ? I don't remember If I tried these games at 720p

I didn't see the passive part. Anyways, are you sure the problem is that it doesn't support 60hz, or is it your FPS are too low? You are mentioning conflicting information. If some games support 1080p60hz in HD3D, it obviously support it, and will work with all games that support HD3D. Your problem may simply be that you are not getting good enough FPS.
m
1
l
June 13, 2014 12:11:15 PM

bystander said:
Vulmaro said:
bystander said:
For HDMI 1.4b to work, both your GPU and TV must support it. If not, you will not get 1080p@60hz in HD3D. You can drop the resolution to 720 and get 60hz in HD3D, assuming it supports HDMI 1.4a, but obviously it won't look as nice, but at least will will run smooth.


Thank you for your respond, in some games there is no fps loss when I eneable sbs/ou 1080p60hz but some other games like Metro2033 and Hitman absolution, fps is max 15, even though I dont eneable AA or VSYNC, Is that because their engine ? Or my gpu renders the games two times so It is not strong enought to handle them ? I don't remember If I tried these games at 720p

I didn't see the passive part. Anyways, are you sure the problem is that it doesn't support 60hz, or is it your FPS are too low? You are mentioning conflicting information. If some games support 1080p60hz in HD3D, it obviously support it, and will work with all games that support HD3D. Your problem may simply be that you are not getting good enough FPS.


What I mean is, I can open every game in 1080p60hz in SBS or OU format but in AMD'S HD3D Frame packing format, It won't let me to get 1080p60hz. Though I set it 60hz in HD3D FPR format, It opens as 1080p30hz.

The other thing I have mentioned is, some games can open without any fps loss in SBS or OU format at 60hz but some others' fps is locked at 15fps and whatever I do, I cant raise it and they're also at 60hz, , so I have asked for it, but the post that is before your post said It nearly becomes as half of 4k resoulition when I open games in that sbs/ou 3d mod.

So Isn't there is a way to open them like half SBS/OU video ? My eyes can't notice the different between full resolution or half resolution in 3d only can notice hz though. Can I just open them as a resolution that I want ?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
June 13, 2014 12:56:54 PM

Well, SBS may work because it doesn't render or send full resolution images, it uses upscaling to get you a full 1080p image, but it sends an image at half that resolution, which is why it works. I'm not sure how FPR works, but it probably tries to send full 1080p images, which HDMI 1.4a cannot support at 60hz.

So anyways, you are probably best sticking with SBS format and be ready to turn down settings on more demanding games.

And if you are wondering why your graphics card cannot keep up at 1080p, it is quite simple, every frame in HD3D is comprised of 2 frames. One for the left eye, and one for the right eye. That is actually more demanding than 3840x1080, because the CPU also has to send all the draw calls for 2 images, which means you'll have major drops in FPS at times.
m
0
l
June 13, 2014 2:17:22 PM

bystander said:
Well, SBS may work because it doesn't render or send full resolution images, it uses upscaling to get you a full 1080p image, but it sends an image at half that resolution, which is why it works. I'm not sure how FPR works, but it probably tries to send full 1080p images, which HDMI 1.4a cannot support at 60hz.

So anyways, you are probably best sticking with SBS format and be ready to turn down settings on more demanding games.

And if you are wondering why your graphics card cannot keep up at 1080p, it is quite simple, every frame in HD3D is comprised of 2 frames. One for the left eye, and one for the right eye. That is actually more demanding than 3840x1080, because the CPU also has to send all the draw calls for 2 images, which means you'll have major drops in FPS at times.


Ok many thanks one last thing, about what you've mentioned in your 3rd pharagraph, that's where cpu's built-in gpu comes then, right ? Which fx series hasn't got. I believe Intel i5 series perform better than fx in those situations.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
June 13, 2014 2:58:41 PM

Vulmaro said:
bystander said:
Well, SBS may work because it doesn't render or send full resolution images, it uses upscaling to get you a full 1080p image, but it sends an image at half that resolution, which is why it works. I'm not sure how FPR works, but it probably tries to send full 1080p images, which HDMI 1.4a cannot support at 60hz.

So anyways, you are probably best sticking with SBS format and be ready to turn down settings on more demanding games.

And if you are wondering why your graphics card cannot keep up at 1080p, it is quite simple, every frame in HD3D is comprised of 2 frames. One for the left eye, and one for the right eye. That is actually more demanding than 3840x1080, because the CPU also has to send all the draw calls for 2 images, which means you'll have major drops in FPS at times.


Ok many thanks one last thing, about what you've mentioned in your 3rd pharagraph, that's where cpu's built-in gpu comes then, right ? Which fx series hasn't got. I believe Intel i5 series perform better than fx in those situations.

No, it's unrelated to IGP's. Every image created gets a serious of draw calls to tell the GPU what to do when it starts rendering. The resolution does not change the amount of calls made, so it doesn't matter if you change the resolution, every image created requires these draw calls to be made to instruct the GPU on what to do. 3D requires twice as many, as each eye requires similar draw calls.
Share
!