Is 560/560ti 1GB is capable of running watch dogs on ultra/high texture?

Nilanjan1991

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I am thinking of a small upgrade.. at first i was convinced that I will need 2gb/3gb of vram to run it on high/ultra texture.. I am currently able to play it on more or less on ultra gfx settings with motion blur n AA turned off or fxaa.. getting 30fps more or less..

then i decreased some of the settings nd switched to high texture.. nd it actually worked.. so was thinking if a more powerful 1gig ddr5 card could pull it off.. i might not need 2gig vram after all!

ok so I have these specs-

i5-2500 3.3ghz
550ti boost 1gb ddr5
8gig vengeance 1600mhz c10

I will playing on 1366x768

Solution
Textures and antialiasing will be its biggest downfall. The 560 TI still isn't a very weak card (comparable to a 750 TI), but that 1GB of VRAM will force you to disable antialiasing and reduce textures probably to medium, maybe high if you're fortunate.

You'd really be better off with a 2GB card, even if it's a bit slower than a 560 TI, as Watchdogs devours VRAM. It's a result of being a poor port from the PS4, which has 8GB of VRAM, and they didn't entirely switch to system RAM correctly for the PC, so 3GB is still ideal. 2GB is enough for ultra with minimal AA. 1GB you'll be struggling, even with no AA and high textures. It looks like that was roughly your experience so far.
Textures and antialiasing will be its biggest downfall. The 560 TI still isn't a very weak card (comparable to a 750 TI), but that 1GB of VRAM will force you to disable antialiasing and reduce textures probably to medium, maybe high if you're fortunate.

You'd really be better off with a 2GB card, even if it's a bit slower than a 560 TI, as Watchdogs devours VRAM. It's a result of being a poor port from the PS4, which has 8GB of VRAM, and they didn't entirely switch to system RAM correctly for the PC, so 3GB is still ideal. 2GB is enough for ultra with minimal AA. 1GB you'll be struggling, even with no AA and high textures. It looks like that was roughly your experience so far.

Solution

Nilanjan1991

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

Hmm I can understand that it will need the vram after all.. btw one question.. is SLI a good option for watch dogs? in that case I could get another 550ti or a 560 may be.. will that help on gettin that high texture without sacrificing the ultra settings..

No. SLI doesn't increase VRAM at all. A 1GB 560 + a 1GB 560 is still just 1GB. That's how it works, unfortunately.