Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

External Hard drive doesn't show up anywhere

Last response: in Storage
Share
June 14, 2014 12:05:38 AM

I have already checked Device Manager and Disk Management already so please don't suggest those two. My problem right now is that my WD My Passport stopped being recognized one day out of the blue. It seems the drive is recognized in Device Manager as WD SES Device but without drivers, I have already installed the drivers with multiple methods over 10 times on 2 different computers, I've tried different ports and different operating systems. The thing I can think of now is that the physical disk is bad, but that wouldn't make sense as the Disk Drive driver also shows inside the Device Manager, it also shows when I use a tool to read PCI ports. Is there anything I haven't tried that someone could suggest to me?
June 14, 2014 12:14:38 AM

Try going to CMD and Type the following commands:

diskpart

list disk

And see if you can see the disk there.
m
0
l
June 14, 2014 12:15:34 AM

Also, have you tried to remove the harddrive from the enclosure and tried to plug it directly on a SATA interface?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 14, 2014 12:24:15 AM

Please provide the these points also.
1)Is there any sound your coming from your harddrive/WD passport?
2)How much heat emitting like more,or normal.
And have you tried this?.
Before switching on the power,insert your HD and switch on the computer,Let me know how much time computer has taken to load OS.
m
0
l
June 14, 2014 12:37:37 AM

SirDrannik said:
Try going to CMD and Type the following commands:

diskpart

list disk

And see if you can see the disk there.


Diskpart won't work if Drive Management won't see it
m
0
l
June 14, 2014 12:38:27 AM

SirDrannik said:
Also, have you tried to remove the harddrive from the enclosure and tried to plug it directly on a SATA interface?


It's a WD My Passport not really possible at least to my knowledge
m
0
l
June 14, 2014 12:40:18 AM

vnnky said:
Please provide the these points also.
1)Is there any sound your coming from your harddrive/WD passport?
2)How much heat emitting like more,or normal.
And have you tried this?.
Before switching on the power,insert your HD and switch on the computer,Let me know how much time computer has taken to load OS.


It boots up like normal, the same amount of time it would normally without anything plugged in, yes there is sound, the drive is spinning, and the heat is normal I suppose, you can't feel the heat outside of the plastic case
m
0
l
June 14, 2014 12:46:55 AM

What type of sound is that? Strucking?

If if its strucking in between then your HD is gone(If your data is important you recover by giving to professionals lik http://www.stellarinfo.com/ ,1st Try to diagnosis by company software's,I recommend you to do in CMDmode/Dos mode.
m
0
l
June 14, 2014 9:24:41 AM

vnnky said:
What type of sound is that? Strucking?

If if its strucking in between then your HD is gone(If your data is important you recover by giving to professionals lik http://www.stellarinfo.com/ ,1st Try to diagnosis by company software's,I recommend you to do in CMDmode/Dos mode.


It's not making any sound except for a normal spin, it's silent with the drive spinning
m
0
l
a c 89 G Storage
June 16, 2014 5:21:12 PM

You may have to scan and check it with WD Lifeguard Diagnostic Utility.
m
0
l
!