Solved

Very basic SSD advice sought

I'm almost ready to buy the components for a pc which will be mainly used for office type functions (some multimedia but no gaming). At the moment I have a WD 1TB Blue drive as my storage but can't decide if it's worth the extra outlay to boot from an SSD instead. I've also no knowledge of how reliable the SSDs are and my most important criterion for the pc build is reliability as I'll be running my publishing business on it. Also, I'll be dual booting the pc and running Ubuntu a lot of the time. Can anyone suggest whether it would be a good idea to add an SSD to the build and if so any recommendations for which SSD to go for?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about basic ssd advice sought
  1. Adding an ssd never hurts, unless your budget is really tight. As far as reliability, I suggest you look at this article:
    http://techreport.com/review/26058/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-data-retention-after-600tb
  2. ABSOLUTELY!

    128GB (at least), but suggest 250GB or larger. Once you have it, you'll never go back.

    Use the SSD as a boot/program drive, and the HDD for storage (media, game data, etc.).

    I suggest Samsung. IMHO the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, but the EVO's are good, too.
  3. The current crop of consumer grade SSD's are proving to be more reliable than regular hard drives.

    The SSD Endurance Experiment: Data retention after 600TB
  4. Thanks to everyone for responding. Think you've convinced me, just a matter of trying to decide which one to go for.
  5. Just to follow up and ask if this would be a suitable SSD:

    Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive

    and also how would it be seated inside the case... do I need to buy a tray of some kind to hold it... apologies for being a little dense, I'm just not at all familiar with these devices
  6. Yes, that particular drive is at he top of the recommended list.

    As far as needing an adapter...maybe. Many recent cases have dedicated mount points for 2.5" drives.
    What case do you have?
  7. USAFRet said:
    Yes, that particular drive is at he top of the recommended list.

    As far as needing an adapter...maybe. Many recent cases have dedicated mount points for 2.5" drives.
    What case do you have?

    I've not actually bought the case yet but this is the one I was intending to go for:

    case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Computer Case
  8. Best answer
    Purity Denson said:
    USAFRet said:
    Yes, that particular drive is at he top of the recommended list.

    As far as needing an adapter...maybe. Many recent cases have dedicated mount points for 2.5" drives.
    What case do you have?

    I've not actually bought the case yet but this is the one I was intending to go for:

    case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Computer Case




    From Corsair:
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-200r-compact-atx-case

    Drive Bays
    (x3) 5.25in
    (x4) 3.5in
    (x4) 2.5in


    You won't need any adapter plate. It has mounts built in.
  9. USAFRet said:
    Purity Denson said:
    USAFRet said:
    Yes, that particular drive is at he top of the recommended list.

    As far as needing an adapter...maybe. Many recent cases have dedicated mount points for 2.5" drives.
    What case do you have?

    I've not actually bought the case yet but this is the one I was intending to go for:

    case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Computer Case




    From Corsair:
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-200r-compact-atx-case

    Drive Bays
    (x3) 5.25in
    (x4) 3.5in
    (x4) 2.5in


    You won't need any adapter plate. It has mounts built in.

    Great, Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage