FX-8350 Core speed dropping to Idle-Speeds under Load

Asdmir

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I've recently installed a new CPU cooler since the Stock Cooler just wasn't doing it anymore cooling wise.
My choice was the 212 Evo.
Installation went fine and temperatures are a good 15° lower than my old cooler, with my CPU reaching a maximum of 52° in Prime95.

However, when running a CPU-Intensive programm for a longer time, every 1-2 Minutes my Processor just clocks down from 4000Mhz per core to a mere 1400Mhz, which is pretty much Idle core speeds.
This happens for a good 20 seconds before the core speeds go back up to 4000Mhz, rinse and repeat.

Now, I have tried several things already:
-I have ran several games and programms, all of them cause my Processor to slow down to Idle
Core speeds after 1-3 Minutes
-I have disabled both C6-State and Cool n' Quiet in my BIOS
-I have checked if the heatsink was seated correctly on the CPU / If there was space inbetween the Heatsink and CPU

I've googled the issue and people who had the same issue as me had it related to their CPU overheating and clocking down, however my FX-8350 runs cool as a cucumber.
What do?

Solution
If you were to get a new mobo - get 970/990fx chipset. Most of them should have passive heatsinks covering the VRM, and should not have any problems what so ever. I really like asus, but more like a fanboy -.- cant really recommend a brand of motherboards, but have heard good about gigabytes ultra durable series - for these though, you might need to search for certain revisions of the motherboards, as some of them may have the same vrm problem. Search for good reviews.

A way of making a 40-80 point to the vrm - If you know where it sits, try to search for vrm heatsinks, they actually help alot.
If no way of having heatsink covering vrm, try to gettorig/ziptie or something to make a fan dangle down from the top of your case, since the...

Asdmir

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

I did some more research.
Apparently what happened after I installed my new Aftermarket CPU Cooler is, that my Motherboards VRM are not getting cooled anymore. I own a M5A78L LE, which only has a VRM Heatsink, no fan.

The old Stock-CPU Fan blew air directly onto the motherboard, cooling the VRM down aswell, while the 212 blows air sideways.

Now I'm stuck trying to find a solution of how to cool down my VRM with having minimal Space between my CPU and GPU.

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

Two solutions

1. Buy a new motherboard. Will be expensive, but is what it takes to handle the heat.

2. New cooler. I am not sure, but you can look it up - the NH-U14 from noctua is great at handling the heat from the CPU, and because of the weird fan design, it might blow down on the vrm heatsinks - the cm212evo only covers the fins, and the u14 actually goes below the fins.

EDIT:
Third solution - install the old cooler, accept the high cpu temps, and live with possibly throttle-free gaming experience.

Asdmir

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

Would there be any way of pointing a small 40-80mm Fan at the VRM to cool it down?
I really don't want to live with Temps of 65°C with my Stock cooler in Summer, thats pretty dangeous regarding the 8350. And of course a new Mainboard would be expensive, however, if I we're to get one, which would you recommend that already has a built in Cooling system for the VRM near the CPU?

Thank you for the good input by the way.

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
If you were to get a new mobo - get 970/990fx chipset. Most of them should have passive heatsinks covering the VRM, and should not have any problems what so ever. I really like asus, but more like a fanboy -.- cant really recommend a brand of motherboards, but have heard good about gigabytes ultra durable series - for these though, you might need to search for certain revisions of the motherboards, as some of them may have the same vrm problem. Search for good reviews.

A way of making a 40-80 point to the vrm - If you know where it sits, try to search for vrm heatsinks, they actually help alot.
If no way of having heatsink covering vrm, try to gettorig/ziptie or something to make a fan dangle down from the top of your case, since the motherboard has no real fan mounting holes for it.

Solution