i5-4690 or i7-4790?

novicebuilder96

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Was wondering which one would be better for less intense gaming, whether i5-4690 or i7-4790? I won't be playing the latest games at the highest settings or anything, but I like to play games like L4D2, and try new ones like thief..but this comp will also be shared with my sis so she'll be playing ea games like sims 3. Which would be more suitable? I'm abit confused about the cache differences, and the fact that i7 has smart cache

novicebuilder96

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

I'm planning on using a sapphire r9 280x dual-x 3GB GDDR5...any opinions on how'd that go with the CPU?

mr91

Distinguished
Both I5 & I7 cpu's will be good, I suggested a lower end i5 because you mentioned you don't play the latest AAA titles with extreme settings and didn't mention that you plan to in the future.

If you play the latest AAA titles and use your computer for video editing go with the I7 however if play the Latest AAA games or want to in the future and don't mind spending the extra money go for the i7...

novicebuilder96

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Oh that's a really good point, thanks! However, this will be my first build and I didn't wanna go crazy on the cpu, since I plan on using a h97 mobo that promises a fit for the 5th gen prcoessors. So when the time (and money) :p comes I will change the processor to a 5th gen one. Is that advisable in your opinion?

Sounds good IMHO.

mr91

Distinguished

I agree with Edullo, your plan sounds good.

I strongly suggest you get a good H97 motherboard...

Asus would be my first choice when buying a Motherboard.

I personally would buy a Z97 and than wait for the 4790k because I don't expect the 5th generation Broadwell to be much better than the haswell refresh.

" That's just me however I'm getting more into video editing and I believe that more games will benefit from I7 processors in the next couple years"

I have the 3570k and so far I'm happy with it, I got it on sale for $149.

i5 is good enough for the latest AAA titles for now and is excellent value.

TICK - TOCK

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/silicon-innovations/intel-tick-tock-model-general.html

novicebuilder96

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

thanks so much! i5-4690 it is! :)

oxiide

Distinguished

The performance difference from this processor to the next generation will not likely be enough to justify another $250+ purchase within less than a year's time. Anytime you're buying a contemporary i5 or i7, you can expect probably 3 years+ out of it. Maybe more, if Intel continues their sluggish pace of improving desktop CPUs. It is wise to buy assuming you'll keep it that long.

Core i5-4690 is definitely plenty for your needs.