R9 290 4gb or gtx 770 4gb

Dillons2013

Reputable
May 27, 2014
The r9 290 is about the same price. Which one is better? Plus I plan on sli or crossfiring one of those choices in the next month.

Solution
If you're aiming to play games like Watch Dogs (which are Nvidia optimized) and concerned about the electricity bills that you'll have to pay then I'd prefer GTX 770. GTX 770 is cheap and worth the money!

That extra 10-15 fps really doesn't catch our eyes but yeah its a well enough difference to make a conclusion that R9 290 is a slight better! However GTX 770 4GB OC edition ain't that bad either. The choice still remains yours as GTX 770 may cost a bit cheaper than the R9 290!

Both can max out any game Plus, With GTX 770 you get Cuda Cores, PhysX, Direct Compute whereas AMD offers Mantle for it's users! In terms of features Nvidia is a bit ahead but still, If you aren't concerned about the additional features then yeah AMD is the...
the reference r290 cooler is a little loud, but i'd take loud over slow. It can be made quiet with some good TIM and fan curve tweaks. For crossfire i would avoid. I can't see a reason to corssfire an r290 unless your running higher than 1440p res or 3 1080p monitors and still want ultra detail settings. If its dual cards you want i would then lean towards nvidias cards, cooler, quieter, less power hungry, better drivers for dual cards. but the 770 is a fair amount slower than the 290. I would just take a faster single card, been there and done that with dual cards, both nvidia and amd, single fast card is always smoother and less buggy and allows you to enjoy gaming even if the absolute max fps is less than a dual card setup

CrackingZilla

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
If you're aiming to play games like Watch Dogs (which are Nvidia optimized) and concerned about the electricity bills that you'll have to pay then I'd prefer GTX 770. GTX 770 is cheap and worth the money!

That extra 10-15 fps really doesn't catch our eyes but yeah its a well enough difference to make a conclusion that R9 290 is a slight better! However GTX 770 4GB OC edition ain't that bad either. The choice still remains yours as GTX 770 may cost a bit cheaper than the R9 290!

Both can max out any game Plus, With GTX 770 you get Cuda Cores, PhysX, Direct Compute whereas AMD offers Mantle for it's users! In terms of features Nvidia is a bit ahead but still, If you aren't concerned about the additional features then yeah AMD is the way to Go.

In terms of FPS R9 290 > GTX 770
In terms of Price I'd say, GTX 770 > R9 290

Just my opinion! :)

Solution