8gb of DDR3 - 1333mhz
dell xps studio 8000- Moba and case
amd 7950 gigabyte
blu ray
windows 8.1 -64 bit

What I bring to him to set it up;

my 500w old stock psu
my 500gb HDD

Deal is I pay him 300 and he sets it up and tests it. I was wondering if this would be good to last me a few years. Would overclocking the cpu to like 3.5/3.8 work without having to buy a new moba/case/cooling?

Or would it be better to just buy the GPU for 150 and put the rest and a bit more into the other parts. (Goal is to last me for gaming for a few years)

Some games I play (the forest, BF4, SC2, CS:GO)

Solution
Most of the pre-built computer isn't capable of overclocking, go to bios and see if the multiplier is unlocked before buying anything. If it's not unlocked, buy a P55 chipset motherboard.

verdenshersker

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hey...
First I think it is a good setup.
What PSU are you bringing? If it's a bad one, then I would probably get a new instead.
You might not be able to overclock the CPU with the standard mobo in the Dell XPS. And also you would need some better cooling.
Overall I would say you get a lot for your money when we are talking 300 dollars.
I would not buy the GPU alone for 150...

makishima

Reputable
May 4, 2014
Most of the pre-built computer isn't capable of overclocking, go to bios and see if the multiplier is unlocked before buying anything. If it's not unlocked, buy a P55 chipset motherboard.

Solution