is 1440 worth it if I don't want 27"?

elitose

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
I like playing on smaller screens. 19" - 22" is my comfort zone. If i had a 27" monitor I would have to sit further away but It would make reaching for the mouse and keyboard uncomfortable. I'm currently looking at 21.5 PLS 1080 monitor just because I don't want something that big in front of my face where I would have to turn my head to see certain parts of the screen. I like everything being in my field of vision with very little eye movement and no head movement. This is why I don't like triple monitor setups. I'm torn because I really want 1440 or even 4k with that new 28" rog monitor asus released for only $700.00 but the way my apartment is set up I'm extremely limited to how I can arrange my gaming area to make a bigger monitor more comfortable to my liking.

Solution
As far as I know, there aren't any 1440p monitors smaller than 27".

Anyway, if you sit further away from a larger monitor, then upgrading the size would be pointless. The main point of getting a larger monitor is to fill more of your field of vision, the other benefits (like slightly better viewing angle) are tiny. If you're going to move further away so it won't fill more of your vision, there's not much point to increase the size.
As far as I know, there aren't any 1440p monitors smaller than 27".

Anyway, if you sit further away from a larger monitor, then upgrading the size would be pointless. The main point of getting a larger monitor is to fill more of your field of vision, the other benefits (like slightly better viewing angle) are tiny. If you're going to move further away so it won't fill more of your vision, there's not much point to increase the size.

Solution

elitose

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
This is something I thought about. I asked some friends and they don't agree. I tried to explain the ratio of image quality to distance of view but I don't think they got it. Thanks though! Its nice to see someone out there had some similar thinking on the situation.

I didn't say upgrading resolution is pointless, I said getting a larger size in inches just to sit further away is pointless. 1440p looks better than 1080p whether you're near or far (within reason), that's no debate. However, sitting close to a 20" screen or further away from a 27" screen will have pretty much the same effect, if both are at the same resolution.

I was responding to the 20" versus 27" point, not comparing 1080p versus 1440p.