Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell XPS M1330 Display Problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 16, 2014 9:21:15 AM

I have the M1330 with the LED backlit display and the nvidia graphics card. One day I was watching a video full screen and all of a sudden it went totally dim, as if the backlight went out. Ordered a replacement and was sent a "compatible" LG screen (Original was a Toshiba). Changed it out. Turning on the laptop, the backlight is clearly on, but no BIOS displayed or splash screen. Then windows loads and I am able to see everything on the display fine except the brightness cannot be adjusted down. Updated every driver I could find; BIOS, video driver, quickset. Nothing worked. Connecting the HDMI out to my tv I can see the BIOS/Splash on startup.

So I tried connecting the old, original screen. Still dim but I can see the BIOS/Splash if I shine a light on the screen. So I had them send me another replacement screen. Connected it and still the same problem of not being able to see BIOS/Splash and can't adjust brightness.

Pretty lost here since I have one screen that is dim, able to display the BIOS screen, and another screen that works perfectly except it won't display BIOS and can't adjust brightness
a c 207 D Laptop
June 18, 2014 9:21:17 AM

Get a 100% same screen you had before, should work then.
m
0
l
June 18, 2014 9:48:13 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Get a 100% same screen you had before, should work then.


I found a used one exactly like my original online and tried it the other day. Did the same thing as my original screen, dim but could see what was on the screen with a flashlight. So I'm going to try a new motherboard. I can't see any blow fuses or caps on mine, but I really don't know what else it could be.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 207 D Laptop
June 18, 2014 10:39:12 AM

If it's dim you need a backlight or an inverter. I doubt it the motherboard. That system is from 2007, I would put any money you want to spend on it towards a new or at least a newer working laptop. Laptops from 2010 or newer are around for $300 all over the place for good models.
m
0
l
June 18, 2014 10:43:10 AM

hang-the-9 said:
If it's dim you need a backlight or an inverter. I doubt it the motherboard. That system is from 2007, I would put any money you want to spend on it towards a new or at least a newer working laptop. Laptops from 2010 or newer are around for $300 all over the place for good models.


I told you in the last post that I tried a 100% working exact replacement and that screen was dim too. So that's why I'm looking at the motherboard now. And LED LCDs don't have inverters.
m
0
l
a c 207 D Laptop
June 18, 2014 10:50:26 AM

Jhintz20 said:
hang-the-9 said:
If it's dim you need a backlight or an inverter. I doubt it the motherboard. That system is from 2007, I would put any money you want to spend on it towards a new or at least a newer working laptop. Laptops from 2010 or newer are around for $300 all over the place for good models.


I told you in the last post that I tried a 100% working exact replacement and that screen was dim too. So that's why I'm looking at the motherboard now. And LED LCDs don't have inverters.


Some do have inverters, here is one for a Dell which your XPS is http://www.google.com/shopping/product/5701848954037236...
But you would have seen one there if you took apart the screen if it had one.
m
0
l
June 18, 2014 10:56:39 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Jhintz20 said:
hang-the-9 said:
If it's dim you need a backlight or an inverter. I doubt it the motherboard. That system is from 2007, I would put any money you want to spend on it towards a new or at least a newer working laptop. Laptops from 2010 or newer are around for $300 all over the place for good models.


I told you in the last post that I tried a 100% working exact replacement and that screen was dim too. So that's why I'm looking at the motherboard now. And LED LCDs don't have inverters.


Some do have inverters, here is one for a Dell which your XPS is http://www.google.com/shopping/product/5701848954037236...
But you would have seen one there if you took apart the screen if it had one.


Interesting. Well the majority of them don't. And mine does not have an inverter. I wish it was that simple to just change that out.
m
0
l
June 20, 2014 1:32:26 PM

Replaced the motherboard and now all of the screens work. Weird issue since the backlight didn't work for the Toshiba screens but it did work on the LG screen, just couldn't adjust it. I couldn't see any blown fuses or caps but maybe I need to take a closer look.
m
0
l
a c 207 D Laptop
July 7, 2014 6:16:46 AM

Glad it's working, but for such an old system it would have been cheaper to just replace it unless you found a very cheap motherboard. They usually go for over $100.
m
0
l
!