Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gpu Questions.. Need help ><

Tags:
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
  • Desktops
  • PC gaming
  • Gaming
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 16, 2014 10:06:49 AM

Hello, This is my first post and only resorting to it because i am utterly mind boggled!

I have an Acer Aspire TC-105 desktop, I LOVE playing games, But sadly, My GPU is a joke.. It is an Nvidia Geforce GT620, It can barley run anything I own.. So, I wish to upgrade! i had this in mind - Sapphire Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR3 with Boost.

I have a measly 200w power supply.. So, How can i get around this? Is it possible to power the new GPU without replacing the PSU?

I'm trying to keep this to a fairly tight budget..
I'm a noob when it comes to computer parts.. so if I said anything dumb please forgive me lol

Here is a data sheet of my PC's specs if is of any help
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model-datasheet/...

More about : gpu questions

June 16, 2014 10:10:23 AM

with a 200w PSU there's more or less no way you can upgrade the GPU, especially to something like a R7 250. Either upgrade your PSU or your whole system.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2014 10:21:53 AM

I would just upgrade your PSU and GPU. First come up with a budget and we can give you the best parts for that price range.

But here is an idea of a nice upgrade for ya. Both parts are good quality and you would get big performance boost.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NPNsK8
m
0
l
June 16, 2014 11:41:46 AM

RookieOfTheYear said:
I would just upgrade your PSU and GPU. First come up with a budget and we can give you the best parts for that price range.

But here is an idea of a nice upgrade for ya. Both parts are good quality and you would get big performance boost.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NPNsK8


would those fit in my standard tower? And would that website ship to new zealand? I'm trying to stay under 200 NZD but if i must go a bit over, I guess i gotta just save a little more :) 


m
0
l
June 16, 2014 11:48:01 AM

Entomber said:
with a 200w PSU there's more or less no way you can upgrade the GPU, especially to something like a R7 250. Either upgrade your PSU or your whole system.


How difficult is it to replace it yourself? Also how would i figure out which one is correct for my tower?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2014 11:56:41 AM

Scottishbiker234 said:
Hello, This is my first post and only resorting to it because i am utterly mind boggled!

I have an Acer Aspire TC-105 desktop, I LOVE playing games, But sadly, My GPU is a joke.. It is an Nvidia Geforce GT620, It can barley run anything I own.. So, I wish to upgrade! i had this in mind - Sapphire Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR3 with Boost.

I have a measly 200w power supply.. So, How can i get around this? Is it possible to power the new GPU without replacing the PSU?

I'm trying to keep this to a fairly tight budget..
I'm a noob when it comes to computer parts.. so if I said anything dumb please forgive me lol

Here is a data sheet of my PC's specs if is of any help
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model-datasheet/...


Skip the ddr3 card. If you need something on a budget, this would work well.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xcZqBm
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2014 11:57:58 AM

Scottishbiker234 said:
Entomber said:
with a 200w PSU there's more or less no way you can upgrade the GPU, especially to something like a R7 250. Either upgrade your PSU or your whole system.


How difficult is it to replace it yourself? Also how would i figure out which one is correct for my tower?


You have a full size tower, any full size card will work as long as it isn't physically too long, but most cards under $200 are pretty short. Replacing the card and power supply is pretty simple.
Share
June 16, 2014 7:38:34 PM

bccorrupt said:
Scottishbiker234 said:
Entomber said:
with a 200w PSU there's more or less no way you can upgrade the GPU, especially to something like a R7 250. Either upgrade your PSU or your whole system.


How difficult is it to replace it yourself? Also how would i figure out which one is correct for my tower?


You have a full size tower, any full size card will work as long as it isn't physically too long, but most cards under $200 are pretty short. Replacing the card and power supply is pretty simple.


Thank you very much :)  Very helpful site this is! Hopefully will be able to play my copy of AC4 soon :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2014 9:04:34 PM

Scottishbiker234 said:
bccorrupt said:
Scottishbiker234 said:
Entomber said:
with a 200w PSU there's more or less no way you can upgrade the GPU, especially to something like a R7 250. Either upgrade your PSU or your whole system.


How difficult is it to replace it yourself? Also how would i figure out which one is correct for my tower?


You have a full size tower, any full size card will work as long as it isn't physically too long, but most cards under $200 are pretty short. Replacing the card and power supply is pretty simple.


Thank you very much :)  Very helpful site this is! Hopefully will be able to play my copy of AC4 soon :) 


No problem, you're welcome. Also I noticed that the one I linked was out of stock, but anything name brand and 400+ watts should be fine. Also that card was the same model as the one you mentioned, but ddr5 which will be much faster, about 30-40% faster than the ddr3 version. Her are a couple other reasonably priced power supplies I would trust.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
!