Solved

is PSU watt enough for this setup ?

Hi guys i wanted to know if a 650W PSU is enuf for this setup??

Processor: Intel E3 1230 V3 or Intel i5 4670
MotherBoard: Gigabyte B85M D3H or H87M D3H
Ram: Corsair Vengeance (8x1) GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz
Storage: 1TB WD blue
Graphics card: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4 GB
Power Supply: Seasonic 650
Cabinet: Deepcool Teressect
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about psu watt setup
  1. Yeah that PSU is good and i would buy a I5 and you can probably get away with a cheaper board. Also you are only going with 1 8GB card why? When you can get 2 4GB ones and get the full speed dual channel memory.
  2. jdwii said:
    Yeah that PSU is good and i would buy a I5 and you can probably get away with a cheaper board. Also you are only going with 1 8GB card why? When you can get 2 4GB ones and get the full speed dual channel memory.


    Isnt xeon more powerful then i5 as it has HT? and i'm purchasing the non OC version ?

    i;m later gonna update it to 16 GB RAM :)

    AND the B85M D3h cost the same price as that one so i'm purchasing the better one H87M D3h ;)
  3. cydialover said:
    jdwii said:
    Yeah that PSU is good and i would buy a I5 and you can probably get away with a cheaper board. Also you are only going with 1 8GB card why? When you can get 2 4GB ones and get the full speed dual channel memory.


    Isnt xeon more powerful then i5 as it has HT? and i'm purchasing the non OC version ?

    i;m later gonna update it to 16 GB RAM :)

    AND the B85M D3h cost the same price as that one so i'm purchasing the better one H87M D3h ;)


    Well yes it seems that way actually it seems like its a I7 in disguise. You can probably get it over the I5 remember that it is a End of Life processor quoted on Intel's site, Also good choices on everything else i'd probably get a corsair psu and a coolermaster case just because that's what i like. Also i understand why you would want to go with a 8GB ram card for now, and if you are not wanting to overclock the Xeon will be great 8 threads wont help the gaming experience much if at all but the added cache might help a little. But the I5 haswell has 5% more IPC and a slightly higher turbo seems like you want this PC for gaming but if that's all you want it for and basic things i'd probably still go with a I5, Me i'd probably go with the xeon since i do things that can use all the threads outside of gaming.
  4. jdwii said:
    cydialover said:
    jdwii said:
    Yeah that PSU is good and i would buy a I5 and you can probably get away with a cheaper board. Also you are only going with 1 8GB card why? When you can get 2 4GB ones and get the full speed dual channel memory.


    Isnt xeon more powerful then i5 as it has HT? and i'm purchasing the non OC version ?

    i;m later gonna update it to 16 GB RAM :)

    AND the B85M D3h cost the same price as that one so i'm purchasing the better one H87M D3h ;)


    Well yes it seems that way actually it seems like its a I7 in disguise. You can probably get it over the I5 remember that it is a End of Life processor quoted on Intel's site


    what does that mean
    plz explain?

    on intel site it says LAUNCHED
  5. cydialover said:
    Hi guys i wanted to know if a 650W PSU is enuf for this setup??

    Processor: Intel E3 1230 V3 or Intel i5 4670
    MotherBoard: Gigabyte B85M D3H or H87M D3H
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance (8x1) GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz
    Storage: 1TB WD blue
    Graphics card: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4 GB
    Power Supply: Seasonic 650
    Cabinet: Deepcool Teressect


    I would change the ram to a 2x4gb kit for dual channel and motherboard to an Asrock H97 pro4. Everything else looks good. :D
  6. logainofhades said:

    I would change the ram to a 2x4gb kit for dual channel and motherboard to an Asrock H97 pro4. Everything else looks good. :D


    whats the difference in this mobo?
  7. Honestly 500W would be enough. 650W is plenty and gives you tons of breathing room in case you wanted to go crazy one day and toss in an overclocked FX 8350 and unlock the voltage of the 290. I estimate under heavy load your computer using 350-400W. If you ever planned to add a second card in the future, you would want a 750W unit though.
  8. cydialover said:
    logainofhades said:

    I would change the ram to a 2x4gb kit for dual channel and motherboard to an Asrock H97 pro4. Everything else looks good. :D


    whats the difference in this mobo?


    H97 and Z97 equipped motherboards give you support for broadwell, should you find yourself wanting to upgrade. :D
  9. cydialover said:
    jdwii said:
    cydialover said:
    jdwii said:
    Yeah that PSU is good and i would buy a I5 and you can probably get away with a cheaper board. Also you are only going with 1 8GB card why? When you can get 2 4GB ones and get the full speed dual channel memory.


    Isnt xeon more powerful then i5 as it has HT? and i'm purchasing the non OC version ?

    i;m later gonna update it to 16 GB RAM :)

    AND the B85M D3h cost the same price as that one so i'm purchasing the better one H87M D3h ;)


    Well yes it seems that way actually it seems like its a I7 in disguise. You can probably get it over the I5 remember that it is a End of Life processor quoted on Intel's site


    what does that mean
    plz explain?

    on intel site it says LAUNCHED


    Actually yes that is correct i was reading an old ivy bridge one.
  10. logainofhades said:
    cydialover said:
    logainofhades said:

    I would change the ram to a 2x4gb kit for dual channel and motherboard to an Asrock H97 pro4. Everything else looks good. :D


    whats the difference in this mobo?


    H97 and Z97 equipped motherboards give you support for broadwell, should you find yourself wanting to upgrade. :D


    Would you not simply need a BIOS update for a Z87/H87 board to support the Broadwell chips when they release since it's the same socket?
  11. Best answer
    No, broadwell will require H97/Z97.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs