Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Pc Build, my questions

Last response: in Components
Share
June 17, 2014 4:31:07 AM

Goodafternoon people. At the end of July i am going to build my new pc. I am going to spend a good amount of money so i am a bit skeptical and i need some answers. First of all here are the components (also i won't do any serious overclocking):

CPU: I7-4790K DC
CPU Cooler: NOCTUCA NH-D15
Motherboard: MSI Z97 XPOWER AC
RAM: 16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 2400MHz
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 TI KINGPIN EDITION 3GB
SSD: MUSHKIN 240GB CHRONOS
HDD: WD 2TB CAVIAR BLACK
PSU: CORSAIR RM1000

My questions are:

  1. Do you think it will last for the next 5 years playing games at good settings?
  2. Will it handle 1440p gaming well?
  3. Does EVGA GTX 780 TI KINGPIN EDITION worth the extra $$$ over EVGA GTX 780 TI DUAL
  4. CLASSIFIED /w ACX COOLER (as i said before i won't do any serious overclocking)?
  5. Shall i wait for EVGA to release GTX 780 TI 6GB?
  6. Do we know anything about when it will be released (~approx)?
  • More about : build questions

    Best solution

    June 17, 2014 4:44:11 AM

    It's tough to say what will be happening down the road in 5 years..we're on the horizon of newer platforms being introduced soon, faster SSD speeds, newer chipsets, and DDR4 memory. As far as your setup, it is certainly fine and will certainly hold you off from having to upgrade for awhile. As far as the 780ti 6gb version, there are only a small group of games that even attempt to utilize 4GB so 6GB might be overkill, but it certainly is more ''future proof''.

    Keep in mind with skylake and broadwell coming out in Q1 2015 broadwell will run of z97 and skylake apparently will be on a new chipset.
    Share
    June 17, 2014 5:07:45 AM

    vagrancyx said:
    It's tough to say what will be happening down the road in 5 years..we're on the horizon of newer platforms being introduced soon, faster SSD speeds, newer chipsets, and DDR4 memory. As far as your setup, it is certainly fine and will certainly hold you off from having to upgrade for awhile. As far as the 780ti 6gb version, there are only a small group of games that even attempt to utilize 4GB so 6GB might be overkill, but it certainly is more ''future proof''.

    Keep in mind with skylake and broadwell coming out in Q1 2015 broadwell will run of z97 and skylake apparently will be on a new chipset.


    I know that new CPUs and GPUs are coming but i think there will be delays, they will be overpriced for quite some time e.t.c
    m
    0
    l
    Related resources
    June 17, 2014 5:24:43 AM

    Hakuna Matata 89 said:
    vagrancyx said:
    It's tough to say what will be happening down the road in 5 years..we're on the horizon of newer platforms being introduced soon, faster SSD speeds, newer chipsets, and DDR4 memory. As far as your setup, it is certainly fine and will certainly hold you off from having to upgrade for awhile. As far as the 780ti 6gb version, there are only a small group of games that even attempt to utilize 4GB so 6GB might be overkill, but it certainly is more ''future proof''.

    Keep in mind with skylake and broadwell coming out in Q1 2015 broadwell will run of z97 and skylake apparently will be on a new chipset.


    I know that new CPUs and GPUs are coming but i think there will be delays, they will be overpriced for quite some time e.t.c


    I was just throwing that out there as things to consider. I myself have a 4770k and a 670GTX but I won't be upgrading for quite awhile..might upgrade my GPU toward the end of next year..but right now there is little need based on my personal usage.

    As far as the i7-4790k I'm sure that will be plenty even once skylake comes out. Upgrading is all personal preference anyway..I tend to use my investment for as long as possible versus selling and flipping to upgrade to the next thing.
    m
    0
    l
    June 17, 2014 5:38:50 AM

    vagrancyx said:
    Hakuna Matata 89 said:
    vagrancyx said:
    It's tough to say what will be happening down the road in 5 years..we're on the horizon of newer platforms being introduced soon, faster SSD speeds, newer chipsets, and DDR4 memory. As far as your setup, it is certainly fine and will certainly hold you off from having to upgrade for awhile. As far as the 780ti 6gb version, there are only a small group of games that even attempt to utilize 4GB so 6GB might be overkill, but it certainly is more ''future proof''.

    Keep in mind with skylake and broadwell coming out in Q1 2015 broadwell will run of z97 and skylake apparently will be on a new chipset.


    I know that new CPUs and GPUs are coming but i think there will be delays, they will be overpriced for quite some time e.t.c


    I was just throwing that out there as things to consider. I myself have a 4770k and a 670GTX but I won't be upgrading for quite awhile..might upgrade my GPU toward the end of next year..but right now there is little need based on my personal usage.

    As far as the i7-4790k I'm sure that will be plenty even once skylake comes out. Upgrading is all personal preference anyway..I tend to use my investment for as long as possible versus selling and flipping to upgrade to the next thing.


    Well you got some good components but my current rig is little old (AMD X4 950 / 5870 / 6GB) and i think i will go for the build i posted :) 
    m
    0
    l
    June 17, 2014 6:37:23 AM

    Excellent, it's a great choice.
    m
    0
    l
    !