i7 930 temps

Steven Stump

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Well. I decided to check my temperatures as i felt the side of my pc getting hot. Should i reapply thermal paste or get a new fan? I can hear the fan, it's not stopping or spinning in a weird way, but i feel it's getting to hot. I'm running 55-65 C idle and over 80 C under load. Around 79-88 C.

Solution
Yeah that is way too hot....major cooling issue, is the heat-sink correctly attached? how old is the thermal grease/paste? might do some good with some fresh paste...good case airflow? enough fans etc? I didn't seat my heat-sink properly once on my i7 920, one of the tabs/pin's wasn't in all the way...temps skyrocketed haha. your scenario sounds bad though hell when I even had the old thermal paste it was still only maxing out around 55-60c...you using the stock heat-sink though or a better one?

cirdecus

Distinguished
That's pretty hot. at 90C it will start throttling speed. Usually idle with normal cooling is around 40C depending on ambient temperatures and 60-70C under load with fairly warm ambient air.

Most important thing is to probably reduce ambient air. If the PC is on the floor or in a hot room, it won't cool well. Place it on a desktop and try to get the room cooler. If this isn't enough, maybe replace some case fans with higher CFM ones and get a higher end cooler.

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Yeah that is way too hot....major cooling issue, is the heat-sink correctly attached? how old is the thermal grease/paste? might do some good with some fresh paste...good case airflow? enough fans etc? I didn't seat my heat-sink properly once on my i7 920, one of the tabs/pin's wasn't in all the way...temps skyrocketed haha. your scenario sounds bad though hell when I even had the old thermal paste it was still only maxing out around 55-60c...you using the stock heat-sink though or a better one?

Solution
If it's hitting 80C you're well outside the CPUs normal operating range and need to do something urgently.
That type of cooler (I'm assuming it's the stock Intel design) uses plastic pushpins that are known to loose their holding power over time so it's likely that's the problem Try pushing down on each in turn to check all four are still down tight, if they seem solidly attached changing the thermal paste would be the next logical step.
If the pins seem loose the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 and Freezer Pro 13 are, as I recall a straight swap, pushpins and all, takes longer to clean off the old thermal paste than to install and they're a bit better than the stock item. Plenty of other coolers exist, but for a simple, non overclocking swap they're great.