Solved

290x lightning vs 290x vapor x for 4k (in 2way xfire)

Should i get 2x 290x lightning of vapor x graphics cards for 4k gaming, i may be custom water cooling and my motherboard in the maximus 6 formula which will fit 2 way crossfire with triple slot coolers i believe.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 290x lightning 290x vapor 2way xfire
  1. I wouldn't bother with 4k yet, current cards aren't quite good enough, wait for next gen stuff. Maybe nvidias new stuff will get the job done, or close to it at least.
  2. already have everything else including the 4k monitor.
  3. well between those cards the lightnings are better.
  4. Should i get any others though i likly wont overclock them, but i want them to be cool and not throttle should i not get water blocks for them just yet. im using a phantom 410 with corsair af and sp quite edition fans every where btw.
  5. Best answer
    the lightnings are one of the highest, if not highest, OC 290x you can buy. I wouldn't both with water cooling as the money you stick into it could be put towards new GPUS that will handle 4k better.
  6. Just get the 295X2 and call it a day. That can for sure do 4k.
  7. helper800 said:
    Just get the 295X2 and call it a day. That can for sure do 4k.


    why not 290x cross fire for $500 less?????????????????????
  8. woltej1 said:
    helper800 said:
    Just get the 295X2 and call it a day. That can for sure do 4k.


    why not 290x cross fire for $500 less?????????????????????


    Because with 2 290x in the same case they will probably throttle, and a single card is always better than 2 or more.
  9. i got the lightning and i did consider the 295x2 but it was cheaper to get 2x r9 290x's and also would allow me to get one now and then another later.
    the other factor that took me away from the 295x2 was that i was unable to find a custom water block for it as i will be water cooling in a month
  10. helper800 said:
    woltej1 said:
    helper800 said:
    Just get the 295X2 and call it a day. That can for sure do 4k.


    why not 290x cross fire for $500 less?????????????????????


    Because with 2 290x in the same case they will probably throttle, and a single card is always better than 2 or more.


    you know that the 295x is 2 GPUs on one card, so you have the same set up at a normal xfire. also, you could cool 2 tahiti cores separately better than 2 with 1 cooler.
  11. woltej1 said:
    helper800 said:
    woltej1 said:
    helper800 said:
    Just get the 295X2 and call it a day. That can for sure do 4k.


    why not 290x cross fire for $500 less?????????????????????


    Because with 2 290x in the same case they will probably throttle, and a single card is always better than 2 or more.


    you know that the 295x is 2 GPUs on one card, so you have the same set up at a normal xfire. also, you could cool 2 tahiti cores separately better than 2 with 1 cooler.


    I knew that the single card has 2 GPU's that's why I said single card... and no you cannot cool 2 separately better that 2 on one card. Have you seen the temps that the 295X2 gets? They are better than 2 separate cards in crossfire.
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Graphics Cards Components